Season Over and Now Time for the Sackings | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Season Over and Now Time for the Sackings

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Would like to see the club trade/de-list the following:
Rory Hilton
Matthew Rogers
Kayne Pettifer
Clinton King
Craig Biddiscombe
Bill Nichols
Andrew Mills (a bit stiff, we'll never know if he could play)
Royce Vardy (a bit stiff, tried hard always, not up to it.)

At the moment the only guys with any currency in the Trade Market would have to be considered untouchable, ie Coughlan, Johnson, Ottens, Richardson, Campbell.

Guys like Bowden, Ray Hall, Aaron Fiora may have some appeal to other clubs, and will need to be looked at, as long as there is something better on the table. I'd like to think that Chris Hyde could have another year, some decent game time, so we can judge if he is able to cut it at this level, about 8 games in 2 years, with minimal playing time makes it hard to pass judgement. Like Hall, Bowden, Fiora & others he may benefit from more positive coach, and being around quality 30 players rather than 15 at Richmond.

In passing does anyone know the clubs thoughts on Matt Shir & Kelvin Moore, are they being considered for promotion from the Rookie list? The club needs to get more from this resource, as only Greg Tivendale has played any meaningful football after coming from this source.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Tigermasochist

the question at the start of this thread was who would we sack, not who would we trade, and that was the basis of my list.

On the next question of who would I trade - well anyone - if the price was right. But I'd only make the trade based one what was likely to make us competivitve in 2006 which would basically mean swapping players like Bowden/Tivvo/Richo etc for really good draft picks. Basically this would mean targetting those teams that a) made the finals and b) are close to a flag and looking to take their picks. So, consider Bowden to Collingwood for a first and third round pick etc.

So to answer your question, this strategy isnt going to make us competitive next year, but frankly I dont think anything is going to do that.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Puntroadroar,

I agree with you on trading "names" but why on earth would you ever delist a decent player for nothing?

Its one thing to be angry at the playing group for inflicting another wasted year on us, its another thing altogether to ruin our team cos we're angry.

Thats the path posters like Diggler and Laff seem to be taking us with their continued calls to "sack" (note not trade) guys like Richo and Bowden. Or are you really saying that you reakon the Tigers would have a better team on the park if we sent Richo and Bowden away for nothing and replaced them with Schulz and Hyde tomorrow?

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Sorry, forgot to list Houlihan on my previous post. Don't know where my mind was, probably the same place as his heart!

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
PMac, yes we would be a much better side in 2 years if the likes of Hyde and Schulz were running around instead of Richo and Bowden, but I didnt say give them away for nothing. Two 7th round picks would be adequate replacement for these hacks!!!

P

PuntRoadRoar

i agree diggler..... 7th round pick if we are lucky.

and pmac thanks for a greeing with me but i think you might have mistaken what i meant

i meant that those "big name" players frawley talks about is probably king and hoolihoop..i want to see the look on his face when he gets laughed out of the trade talks when trying to off load these hacks....

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Start with,

Trade/delist

Nicholls
King :'( :'(
Hoolihan :'(
Fiora :'(
Dragacevic :'(
Biddiscombe :'(
Pettifer :'(
Bowdown :'(
Rogered :'(
Vardy :'(
but most of all we need to lose the COACH - Hello !?

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Stick with Fiora (unless you can get a very good trade deal for him).

I think that Frawley has played him out of position for most of the year and I would like to see him on a wing or a half forward flank rather than deep in defence.

He has shown more than some of the other ordinary players on our list and is worth persevering with for another year.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
TigerMasochist said:
Ox said:
Start with,

Trade/delist

Fiora :
Ferrari get up your nose did he? You sacked him twice.

Whoops ! Didn't mean to. Actually would prefer others to go b4 him but along with Bowdown would make a nice litle trade package.

londontiger

The New RFC Cheersquad Chant.
Dec 17, 2002
London , United Kingdon
This is my first post for a long time, and lets be serious.

Players of the ilk of Rogers, D Kellaway, King, Houlihan, Vardy and Pettifer will go , but we will get nothing for them. Others which should be chopped include

Bidders, Fleming, Nicholls, and obviously Cameron.

But again we will get nothing for them.

Thats why we have to upset the apple cart.

Hilton - gone, trade to a Sydney for a Vic youngster who wants to come home. As much as Rory is a good bloke, and the players like him, he fails to deliver for a number 1 pick in the draft (at Brisbane).

Rogers - Time to trade on to Carlton, who would find use for this bloke. He is a smart footballer, but doesnt fit the gameplan anymore at the tigers.

Fiora - One of the SA sides will want him, Tigers have to get something for him. But I do not believe he will ever BULK up and as a result should not be playing for the Tigers.

Zantuck- I have disagreed with myself here, but Ty is probably too bulked up (in his own mind anyway). He will appeal to clubs like Melbourne, and Nth, and I would like to see him go. His skill errors and work ethic (acting as a hitman) gave away too many free kicks and lost us crucial decisions throughout the season. He can play, thats why clubs will find him useful.

Tivendale. Am still a fan of this bloke, but he is a realistic "young prospect" for a finals side who may "pay too much" for him.
One good year in four is not a return we should invest in at Richmond.

Hyde/Mills/Newman. - I believe all these blokes can play footy, and have potential futures at the Tigers, but if any other clubs sniff around and there is decent talent about, then we must look and getting rid of at least one.

And finally

Richo or Holland. - Unfortunately I think this is a year too late for either player. They are both stars, but both would say they have underperformed for the club due to injury and a lack of consistency in their skills. Dont get rid of both.

If Carlton or Melbourne gave us a few low picks, then we would have to consider this move.

I know some on this Forum will disagree with some of my suggestions, but ignorance to these issues breeds complacency, and I am one Tigers supporter sick to death of our non success.

London Tiger

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
i reckon there are only 4 untouchables johnson campbell coughlan and ottens every one else is tradeable or delistable. The high profile player who i would like to see go is holland utterly useless and costs us a fortune. the worst player on our list has to be bidderscum he has a heart as big as a pea the players who clearly arent up to afl level or are past it and need to go straight away are holland biderscumm fleming houlihan d kellaway king nicholls pettifer rogers vardy mills

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I don't think Holland would be worth too much. Probably a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

He is very slow after his knee reconctruction.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I don't think Holland would be worth too much. Probably a 3rd round draft pick.

He is very slow after his knee reconctruction.