Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Paul Broderick wasn't too shabby either.
Gun loved Broderick.

Geez the Roy's lost Timmy Pekin, Grant Lawrie, John Blakey, Butch Gale, Doug Barwick, Mat Dundas, Paul Broderick, Jamie Elliot, Paul Roos, Dicky Osborne, Doc Wheildon, Alistair Lynch and Gary Pert over the course of a handful of seasons.

No wonder they fell in a heap.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
The mark of a really good player is to be watching the game and see him make a move or play in the blink of an eye and not register what just happened. Shane's sidestep, going through gaps that aren't there and accurate passing / sleight of hand to advantage at times are his hallmarks so he is well worth his 300

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Ugle Hagan said he loved Shane
He said Edwards sent him a message the day he completed year 12 congratulated him for being the 1st indigenous person in his family to finish year 12.
We are a club with top people.
Our President proves how good we are.

Reactions: 10 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
He was asked how different when he was drafted to now, hardly winning any games etc.

His response was if we didn't have those bad years we wouldn't have picked up Cotch and Dusty (add Rance to that).

Goes to show how early draft picks, selected well, developed and coached well can transform your club.

Food for thought over the next few years?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
No doubt it would be mentioned on here somewhere, however Shedda at the time was the only player all our recruiters agreed on , rated him much higher then a second rounder .

I’ll always remember Shedda as the player even his own fans took 10 years to realise how good he is , he’s clean and quick hands would be as good as I’ve seen , but to me Shedda will go down as the most underatted footballer in the AFL era . Best of luck in the NBA

Reactions: 3 users

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
No doubt it would be mentioned on here somewhere, however Shedda at the time was the only player all our recruiters agreed on , rated him much higher then a second rounder .

I’ll always remember Shedda as the player even his own fans took 10 years to realise how good he is , he’s clean and quick hands would be as good as I’ve seen , but to me Shedda will go down as the most underatted footballer in the AFL era . Best of luck in the NBA
They certainly did

I remember Francis Jackson on draft function night in 2006 when he did possible first round selection he had Edwards in his presentation with Riewoldt, Ben Reid, Nathan Brown, Brent Renouf, James Seller.

Francis was keen but wanted key position as priority as think there was depth in midfield picks plus thought Edwards might still be a chance at 2nd pick while the KPP he liked would not be.

Edwards always had outstanding football creative IQ, we just had to wait until his and Richmond players ability matched his ambition. His handballing last 5+ years is just amazing.

300 Games
All Australian
Top 3 Best & Fairest
Twice polled votes in Norm Smith Medal

Love Shedda

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Well, going by this presser I now have doubts Shedda will retire.
Shedda spoke beautifully at the presser - he’s a class act.
But fwiw I didn’t get the sense one way or the other about his intentions - and remain convinced that this will be his last year.

During seasons 2019-20 I genuinely expected he’d have been headed for 400 games - he was playing so well and it was often said here that he was actually improving virtually each year. But time seems to have caught up quickly since last year and for his own legacy I reckon he knows that it is time to look to the future and his idea of getting into recruiting.

Bloody champ!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Champion of the club and the game.

Best hands in the comp at his peak.

When was the last time 2 players drafted in the same draft at the same club both played 300 games?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Im thinking Shane Edwards announces his retirement at the end of the year this week just before the game

I was thinking the same thing.

No doubt it would be mentioned on here somewhere, however Shedda at the time was the only player all our recruiters agreed on , rated him much higher then a second rounder

My memory of the 2006 Draft is that Adelaide we very keen on him.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

When was the last time 2 players drafted in the same draft at the same club both played 300 games?
Geelong 2006.
Maybe Port 2006 too in a couple of years.

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane

Don't know about at least 2 players drafted by the same club both playing 300 games for that club, but Geelong's 2001 draft haul had:

Jimmy Bartel - 305 games for Geelong
James Kelly - 273 games for Geelong, 40 for Essendon for 313 total
Gary Ablett - 247 games for Geelong, 110 for Gold Coast for 357 total
Steve Johnson - 253 games for Geelong, 40 for GWS for 293 total

So 3 players played over 300 games, with a fourth at 293.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Don't know about at least 2 players drafted by the same club both playing 300 games for that club, but Geelong's 2001 draft haul had:

Jimmy Bartel - 305 games for Geelong
James Kelly - 273 games for Geelong, 40 for Essendon for 313 total
Gary Ablett - 247 games for Geelong, 110 for Gold Coast for 357 total
Steve Johnson - 253 games for Geelong, 40 for GWS for 293 total

So 3 players played over 300 games, with a fourth at 293.
Geelong smashed that draft.

When was the last time 2 players drafted in the same draft at the same club both played 300 games for that club?

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Geelong smashed that draft.

When was the last time 2 players drafted in the same draft at the same club both played 300 games for that club?
Brodders17 answered it above - Geelong also in 2006 with Selwood and Hawkins. Port have a chance with Boak and Gray also from 2006.

Reactions: 1 user