Shane Edwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shane Edwards

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Congrats to Edwards. 300 games is one hell of an effort. The burning question, does he keep his spot next week?
No doubt in my mind. He contributed yesterday. This thread has had me a bit perplexed and wound-up, the criticism has been out of whack with his performances. No debate he's on the way out out, but calls of liability and giving us nothing have been OTT, apart from half a dozen games where he has been very poor.

I think I've worked out why. In all the media tributes one stood out for me, I think it was Carey. He said when were at our peak Shane's contribution to plays wouldn't get noticed by commentators, they wouldn't call his name. And early career Shed was the same, he'd contribute, but a lot of PREnders would bag him. I think he has to do a lot, peak Shed, to just be acknowledged. He's always been one of those players you look at the stats after a game and are surprised.

One vintage Shane Edwards moment yesterday got us going IMO. halfway through second Q, Clearance out of the centre, long handball to Cotch, gets it back, pass to Shai and goal.

Reactions: 10 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Congrats on 300 Shedda and so glad we had an incredible win in the milestone game. He played okay and IMO did enough to hold his spot. I don't think there is any doubt though that this season is the swan song to a fantastic career.

Reactions: 1 user

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
No doubt in my mind. He contributed yesterday. This thread has had me a bit perplexed and wound-up, the criticism has been out of whack with his performances. No debate he's on the way out out, but calls of liability and giving us nothing have been OTT, apart from half a dozen games where he has been very poor.

I think I've worked out why. In all the media tributes one stood out for me, I think it was Carey. He said when were at our peak Shane's contribution to plays wouldn't get noticed by commentators, they wouldn't call his name. And early career Shed was the same, he'd contribute, but a lot of PREnders would bag him. I think he has to do a lot, peak Shed, to just be acknowledged. He's always been one of those players you look at the stats after a game and are surprised.

One vintage Shane Edwards moment yesterday got us going IMO. halfway through second Q, Clearance out of the centre, long handball to Cotch, gets it back, pass to Shai and goal.
Also the pass to Graham at the end. A very understated game but used the ball well.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Thrilled we got the win in the Champ's milestone game.
From an individual perspective I thought he was only just ok again.
He looks spent.
The end is very near.
Agree, he is done all he can. Skilful and class footballer that peaked when we needed him the most.
I reckon he call his retirement in the dressing rooms after the Essendon game

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Three goal assists
Where you getting 3 from? All stats I've looked at say 1. I think he's improved of late and we see cameos of his quality but I still don't think he's producing enough. Deensively he's non existent. For the sake of 10 or 12 disposals I'd prefer to play an MRJ or a Stack. We have to look ahead.

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
Where you getting 3 from? All stats I've looked at say 1. I think he's improved of late and we see cameos of his quality but I still don't think he's producing enough. Deensively he's non existent. For the sake of 10 or 12 disposals I'd prefer to play an MRJ or a Stack. We have to look ahead.
Today's herald sun. 3 assists 5 score involvements

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
He's always been a player who does incredible things that are easy to miss.

When his output drops a little, those incredible moments are even harder to notice, but they're still happening and we're still a better team for it

Hopefully his body is peaking for September.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
His performances through that dominant period only us Tiger supporters would appreciate.
The media of late have caught up to the marvel that is ‘Edwards Scissorhands’

Wonderful achievement…

Attachments

• B37E36B6-6CDA-41F7-A1DB-11116B7B9991.jpeg
    B37E36B6-6CDA-41F7-A1DB-11116B7B9991.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I've posted before that it was love at first sight for me with Shane. I've long taken a little self-congratulatory pride that I've always been able to see his genius, that the light speed stuff he does that so many miss in the moment has rarely got past me. He was my pick for the 2017 Norm Smith, both in real time at the ground and on watching the replay. He changed the game in the second quarter after Adelaide had been on top in the midfield, winning clearance after clearance.

It's all been said by now - his vision, timeliness, ability to change the direction of a play and set a teammate to space that wasn't even there until he created it with his unmatched vision and ability to work angles. His underrated toughness, his quiet leadership, the ability to impose his will upon a contest. A rare genius.

Reactions: 8 users

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
Those highlights showing Lambert, Prestia , Dusty and Shedda working together bring a tear to the eye.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So you are saying play 300 and that's it ?
It depends, i think we give him chance to find his best form
Play finals and win finals with the best players.
We can't go in too young and inexperienced, we saw how Brisbane targeted both Miller and Sonsie by attacking through their opponents.
On the flipside we have Dusty to come back

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Love to see the club offer him another 12 months.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Was it six weeks ago Neil Balme said that Titch was "exhausted"?

Some players do a lot of work away from football. I acckshelly don't know the root cause but I cred Neil Balme's diagnosis.

Shane rested.