Situation in Burma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Situation in Burma

Liverpool said:
However, when they do act against a tyrant committing his own human-rights abuses against his own civilians....they are criticised to the extreme.
I guess that's the price you pay for being America.

It's a fair point you have there Livers.
I guess it depends if there's any oil involved. :blah

The yanks are no better or worse than most other countries, they serve the god of self interest...

Wether the inhabitants of a country they invade/interfere with end up better or worse off is largely irrelevant to them..

Disco08 said:
It must be nice to be so blase about the lives of others. No wonder you find it so easy to get on your high horse.

The anti-war, "get out of Iraq" protesters seem equally blase about the lives of others who were under the Hussein dictatorship.

It works both way Disco....you either want Western nations to be the "world police", or you don't....which is it?

Tigers of Old said:
Liverpool said:
However, when they do act against a tyrant committing his own human-rights abuses against his own civilians....they are criticised to the extreme.
I guess that's the price you pay for being America.

It's a fair point you have there Livers.
I guess it depends if there's any oil involved. :blah

Don't start on me TigersOfOld... :hihi

elliot said:
The yanks are no better or worse than most other countries, they serve the god of self interest...
Wether the inhabitants of a country they invade/interfere with end up better or worse off is largely irrelevant to them..

I don't disagree with you.
That's what irks me when all I hear about is anti-Yank this, or anti-Yank that.....as it isn't just the Yanks who are looking after number-1.

Liverpool said:
The anti-war, "get out of Iraq" protesters seem equally blase about the lives of others who were under the Hussein dictatorship.

It works both way Disco....you either want Western nations to be the "world police", or you don't....which is it?

The majority of Burma's population is sick and tired of the decades-long oppression by their military regime. It takes a lot for a Buddhist monk to protest something, so when they do it en-masse you know something is pretty drastically wrong. When these same monks, who are completely non-violent start being gunned down simply for protesting it's obvious that the inhabitants of this country are in desperate need of somebody's help.

You can't just make a black and white rule the way you always seem to. Different situations have different solutions.

Disco08 said:
Liverpool said:

The majority of Burma's population is sick and tired of the decades-long oppression by their military regime. It takes a lot for a Buddhist monk to protest something, so when they do it en-masse you know something is pretty drastically wrong. When these same monks, who are completely non-violent start being gunned down simply for protesting it's obvious that the inhabitants of this country are in desperate need of somebody's help.

You can't just make a black and white rule the way you always seem to. Different situations have different solutions.

I agree with you 100%....even 110% for the line highlighted. ;)

I'm not as compassionless as I may sound, however the situation like this really is something that the UN should be involved in....not individual nations like Australia, or the US.

As we saw with Tianamen Square massacre...nothing will happen from these toothless tigers.

If there's so little confidence in the UN to act then all the more reason for other nations to take it upon themselves to help.

Liverpool said:
Six Pack said:
We can put pressure on the Govt to act. Approach/ring/write to yr local member of parliament.

Act in what way Sixpack?

Well this is a start!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/australia-rejects-burmese-general/2007/10/02/1191091082463.html

I love it when Downer starts talking tough!

elliot said:

No dispute however they'd never come out and just say that would they.

It's the sanctimonious spin that pisses me off. 'Liberating the people of Iraq' etc. *smile* in order to justify a war that's almost entirely about money.

That's why they open themselves to criticism of double standards.

America has little interest in human rights or they'd help out in places like Rwanda and Burma.
However those countries have no oil fields or much else America needs.

Tigers of Old said:
elliot said:

No dispute however they'd never come out and just say that would they.
It's the sanctimonious spin that pisses me off. 'Liberating the people of Iraq' etc. *smile* in order to justify a war that's almost entirely about money.
That's why they open themselves to criticism of double standards.
America has little interest in human rights or they'd help out in places like Rwanda and Burma.
However those countries have no oil fields or much else America needs.

I agree with you...but...

It's not just about oil for the USA....all of the West wants to protect the oil-fields of this area, as our economy depends on it.
That is why it's a COALITION, with the forces of many nations over there, NOT just the Yanks.

With Iran plotting and devising nuclear weapons, with Bin Laden and al-Qaeda all through that region of the world, then going in and securing the Iraq/Afghanistan oil-fields was/is the right thing to do for the world, not just the USA.

So yes, you can say that Rwanda and Burma don't have oil and that is why the Yanks don't go in there, and you would be probably right.
And yes, you can say that the Yanks went into Iraq because of oil....and you would be right.
But look at the BIG picture, as to WHY the Coalition went in there at that particular time.

Having cracks at the Yanks, is just the 'fad of the day' at the moment.

http://www.awakeninthedream.com/artis/wearecompassionate.html

:(

Evo,

That link to avaaz.org is really interesting. Some of the posts in the blog are quite scary
The Paul Levy article is just hard work. I have a very restricted vocabulary

Anyway to support Burma its time to Boycott the bad guys.
Unocal & Total are two that I can name

Well done Curly!

Livers, you asked some time back what we could do about Burma. Well here's something positive!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/23/2067334.htm

Six Pack said:
Well done Curly!

Livers, you asked some time back what we could do about Burma. Well here's something positive!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/23/2067334.htm

Positive?
Great..let's open the floodgates some more... ::)
At least we cut some of the African quota, so I guess this just makes up for that shortfall.

Liverpool said:
Positive?
Great..let's open the floodgates some more... ::)
At least we cut some of the African quota, so I guess this just makes up for that shortfall.

Some of the most peaceful people on earth, under such oppression by a military regime government that they are afraid to protest peacefully for fear of being slaughtered are offered sanctuary and you don't think that's positive? Unbelievable.

We signed the International refugee treaty in 1951 or something like that, so not only are we morally bound to take refugees and asylum seekers, we are bound by international treaty and law.

Hats off to Downer for this one.

floodgates? get a heart, Livers.

No...no heart...we are a charity case for the world's problems.
We should be looking after our own problems first....such as our homeless, elderly, and drought stricken farmers....(just to name a few).
Maybe if we didn't bring in all these other people, we wouldn't need a bloody Good Friday Appeal to raise money from the public to help keep the Royal Childrens Hospital afloat?

Charity starts at home...lets get our own backyard right first before pledging help to every idiotic country out there that has internal problems.

At least these Burmese are entering here legally, and as I said, at least we are taking less Africans to make up for these Burmese as well.

They are the only two 'positives' I can see.