Situation in Burma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Situation in Burma

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
You wouldn't know the meaning of the word 'charity' Livers.

I know that it should start at home.

How much money do we get from these other countries to help us?

Six Pack said:
We're all in this together!

In what together?
Propping up other countries who have had problems for hundreds of years....while over on the politics thread, we have people crying over pensioners not getting enough, the Government not spending enough to help drought-stricken farmers, our education sydtem needs a 'revolution, we need a national broadband system, people not getting enough money from their job...the list goes on.
Yet here you are saying "we're all in this together".
Lets get our own backyard in order first, then we can run around saving the world and handing out charity to any Tom, *smile*, or Harry who wants/needs it.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
By luck we are born here or by design we get here. It can be a pretty random and harsh sort of world and if we can extend a welcome to those who need it, then we are the better for it.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
By luck we are born here or by design we get here. It can be a pretty random and harsh sort of world and if we can extend a welcome to those who need it, then we are the better for it.

That's all very noble of you SixPack.

But if you believe everything you hear at the moment, including from your Greens party....then there is a hell of a lot that needs to be done in Australia first before laying out the welcome mat to outsiders.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Liverpool said:
No...no heart...we are a charity case for the world's problems.
We should be looking after our own problems first....such as our homeless, elderly, and drought stricken farmers....(just to name a few).
Maybe if we didn't bring in all these other people, we wouldn't need a bloody Good Friday Appeal to raise money from the public to help keep the Royal Childrens Hospital afloat?

Own problems?
By that you mean your own right? :p

Out of interest how many of these home charities do you donate to Livers?
Do you donate to the Royal Childrens Hospital?
How much money are you giving to the Aboriginals in central Australia?

Judgeing by your comments re the Burmese I seriously doubt you are giving anything to anyone.

Just thank your lucky stars that it's not you who has to throw yourself at the mercy of others.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Leave Liv alone! Its tough when you can only watch the EPL on your only plasma in the lounge room and not in the bedroom too (its late at night and very uncomfortable being out on the coach at hour!).

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
We are all outsiders, Liverpool, we've all come from somewhere.

I'm not an outsider.
I was born and bred here.

Tigers of Old said:
Own problems?
By that you mean your own right? :p
Out of interest how many of these home charities do you donate to Livers?
Do you donate to the Royal Childrens Hospital?
How much money are you giving to the Aboriginals in central Australia?
Judgeing by your comments re the Burmese I seriously doubt you are giving anything to anyone.
Just thank your lucky stars that it's not you who has to throw yourself at the mercy of others.

I donate to various charities (such as cancer 'Dafodil Day' and Ovarian cancer) as well as the Childrens Hospital and.....that charity case that runs around in yellow and black... :p
I do not donate to the Aborigines as I feel they already receive enough handouts from the Government and they have squandered millions of dollars over the years.

What many of us give are our tax dollars, which I want the Government to spend on Australians.....not overseas people.
Let their tax dollars pay for them.

If the government concentrated on spending our tax dollars on charities here in Australia, then we wouldn't need charities, would we?

Tiger74 said:
Leave Liv alone! Its tough when you can only watch the EPL on your only plasma in the lounge room and not in the bedroom too (its late at night and very uncomfortable being out on the coach at hour!).

C'mon Tiger74......now THAT is a decent charity: "Give Liverpool another plasma"
5 raffle tickets for $2....
Show some heart! ;D

smiley_tv.gif

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Liverpool said:
I'm not an outsider.

Depends on your viewpoint (don't worry, I can guess yours).

The aborigines lived here peacefully for tens of thousands of years, maybe hundreds of thousands before white men violently took over their land and forced them into submission. I'd say a good argument can be made that any non-aboriginal is an outsider in this land as their ancestors will have inhabited it for no more than 0.002% of the time humans have been known to be here.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
Depends on your viewpoint (don't worry, I can guess yours).
The aborigines lived here peacefully for tens of thousands of years, maybe hundreds of thousands before white men violently took over their land and forced them into submission. I'd say a good argument can be made that any non-aboriginal is an outsider in this land as their ancestors will have inhabited it for no more than 0.002% of the time humans have been known to be here.

Well, it was Sixpack who said we are all outsiders, so ask him of what he meant, eh? ::)

And if you want to go another step further, Aborigines came from overseas to get here millions of years ago also.
It's not like they sprung up out of the ground here like a cabbage-patch kid....they came down from Asia.
So would you like to class them as 'outsiders' to, or do I have to go through another hypothetical scenario with you? ;)

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Liverpool said:
Well, it was Sixpack who said we are all outsiders, so ask him of what he meant, eh? ::)

I think he was trying to imply that being a xenophobic non-indigenous Australian is rather hypocritical.

Liverpool said:
And if you want to go another step further, Aborigines came from overseas to get here millions of years ago also.

If you believe archaeologists, at most aboriginals have been here for 70000 years. Give or take for future discoveries and that might be about 100000. Were are you pulling millions of years from?

Liverpool said:
It's not like they sprung up out of the ground here like a cabbage-patch kid....they came down from Asia.
So would you like to class them as 'outsiders' to, or do I have to go through another hypothetical scenario with you?

You don't think there's much difference between 200 years and 70000?

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
Liverpool said:
So would you like to class them as 'outsiders' to, or do I have to go through another hypothetical scenario with you?
You don't think there's much difference between 200 years and 70000?

I didn't know there was a timeframe or cut off date for when someone who comes to Australia is classed as an 'outsider'.

To clarify my stance on the 'outsider' word used:
I am born and bred here. Therefore I am an Australian. My ancestors did not come from here, yet I am classed as an 'outsider' it seems.
Aboriginals that are born and bred here are also Australians. Their ancestors did not come from here, therefore, as SixPack said, we are all 'outsiders'.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
So you don't see any difference between 200 years and 70000 years?

Like I asked earlier Disco....i didn't know there was a timeframe, or cut-off date, from when you are classed as an 'outsider' or you're not.

It seems you are making rules up as you are going along.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
To return to my point. We all come from somewhere and we have a responsiblity to those less fortunate than ourselves.

The tragic events in Burma are worthy of our attention and I'm glad the govt is accepting refugees.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
To return to my point. We all come from somewhere and we have a responsiblity to those less fortunate than ourselves.
The tragic events in Burma are worthy of our attention and I'm glad the govt is accepting refugees.

"Vote 1 Johnny" then Sixpack?
Going to put your vote where your mouth is? :hihi

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Liverpool said:
Like I asked earlier Disco....i didn't know there was a timeframe, or cut-off date, from when you are classed as an 'outsider' or you're not.

It seems you are making rules up as you are going along.

I didn't say there was a timeframe did I? All I did was ask whether you saw any difference between 200 and 70000. Did the aborigines have any say in who was allowed to migrate to their country?

Surely you can see the irony. At most your ancestors have been here 200 years and you're bitching about letting people who desperately need help into the country.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
Liverpool said:
Six Pack said:

"Vote 1 Johnny" then Sixpack?
Going to put your vote where your mouth is? :hihi

I'm sure that helping the people of Burma would have unilateral support in the Australian parliament.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
I didn't say there was a timeframe did I? All I did was ask whether you saw any difference between 200 and 70000. Did the aborigines have any say in who was allowed to migrate to their country?

Well, that's just bad luck the Aborigines didn't have a defence force or system set up to discourage illegal aliens.
What do you want me to do....sit in the corner and shed tears over the previous failures of a race that still lived in the stoneage for 69,800 years?

To be honest, I'm sick of people going on about we invaded them 200 years ago.
They had 69,800 years to get their act together, and failed.
A land this size, at a time when exploration of the earth by superpowers of the time was at its height, was always going to be invaded sooner or later.

Disco08 said:
Surely you can see the irony. At most your ancestors have been here 200 years and you're b!tching about letting people who desperately need help into the country.

Yes, I am bitching....and will continue to *smile*.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
I'm sure that helping the people of Burma would have unilateral support in the Australian parliament.

You don't mean Rudd is going to support something the Government is doing, are you? :eek:

:hihi