Slow midfield | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Slow midfield

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I will select Dusty and noone else.
Prestia needs a wake up call send him to the 2's
Hopper is badly out of touch. Perfect conditions last night, played like the ground was flooded
Graham injured should see him back by round 22 just before he goes to Fremantle
Are you predicting ol mate Clarkes first pick from the Tigers pocket Dear Zips

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007
Our midfield is stacked for body and strength. Taranto, Hopper, Dusty, Prestia and Graham but none possess breakaway speed.

Shai does but coach wants to play him more forward. I think that's a bad move. Dow and Baker do have breakaway speed

Now watching the dees Salem played midfield..

Also, Hayden Young of Freo generally plays back, played midfield had 26 possies and kicked two goals. Has pace to burn.

Most teams are loading up with pace in the midfield we seemed to have gone the other way with shai going out.

Look at Kozy Pickett, he's so dangerous in centre bounces due to his crazy getaway speed. Bolton has been and can continue to be that player for us.
Just hope Yze and the coaches see that we looked to one paced v pies.

Jack Crisp of the pies used to play back nowadays in the midfield, has explosive pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
Love the first post in this thread. Especially the date.

Feb 25, 2007
Love the first post in this thread. Especially the date.

We went back2back :cupgold:cupgold

But I must say, in the last 2 years the game has somewhat changed. Teams are stacking up with more pace. Whether it's with backman or small forwards, they are getting more midfield minutes.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Shai does but coach wants to play him more forward. I think that's a bad move.
Agree, we need him playing both midfield for his acceleration as you and many say but we need him up forward as well. This is the conundrum Yze faces, he knows we lack goalkicking/crumbing strength up forward and break away acceleration through the middle. Unfortunately Bolton can only be in one position at a time.

I reckon it will be inevitable that he will have to be played more midfield minutes due to the unbalanced mix Yze is trying to force at the moment. Unless of course someone like McAuliffe comes of age that adds that much needed explosiveness through the middle.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yze needs to shelve the Bolton Forward idea.

Hes the only game breaker we can run through the centre.
He misses so many gettable shots at goal that he's very frustrating and costly up forward anyway. He, nor any coaching, seems to be able to straighten this out either which also really annoys me. He's very wasteful - approaching Castagna-like inaccuracy. A true SF is far more deadly.

We need Shai playing midfield predominantly for the skill and burst speed he brings while developing others like Clarke, Campbell, Green and Cumberland(!) as dangerous SFs. Baker and Mansell too can spend time forward as more defensive SFs.

Edited 6.23.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Judge Smailes

The world needs ditch diggers too!
Dec 17, 2003
Adelaide
He misses so many gettable shots at goal that he's very frustrating and costly up forward anyway. He, nor any coaching, seems to be able to straighten this out either which also really annoys me. He's very wasteful - approaching Castagna-like inaccuracy. A true SF is far more deadly.

We need Shai playing midfield predominantly for the skill and burst speed he brings while developing others like Clarke, Campbell, Green and Cumberland(!) as dangerous SFs. Baker and Mansell too can spend time forward as more defensive SFs.

Edited 6.23.
Not sure if you guys watched the Punt Road Goalkicking competition - thought it was interesting that Bolton blitzed it - kicking DROP PUNTS every time. Looked elite. Makes you wonder why goes those stupid "round the corner" kicks during every game...

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Midfield needs a change up Yze will be making the same mistake picking the old blokes over and over again without rejuvenation just like Dimma did.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Sydney midfield that rolled Melbournes usually dominant tonight on the small SCG:

Warner
Heeney
Rowbottom
Gulden
Jordan
Florent

No slowies there.

Midfields MUST be able to run and transition. Can ours?

Feared for a while we have zigged while the game has zagged.

Otherwise it could be a long time we can keep up with teams like Sydney have built.

Reactions: 2 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Midfield needs a change up Yze will be making the same mistake picking the old blokes over and over again without rejuvenation just like Dimma did.

Mother Hubbard syndrome. Next gen are not close atm.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Sydney midfield that rolled Melbournes usually dominant tonight on the small SCG:

Warner
Heeney
Rowbottom
Gulden
Jordan
Florent

No slowies there.

Otherwise it could be a long time we can keep up with teams like Sydney have built.
We've spoken about this for the last coupla years LD.
Where'd Warner, Rowbottom, Mcinerney come from? Mid range draft picks.

Not counting Gulden because he was an academy player that snick in behind Campbell. Wouldve gone top 20 on the open market.

Speed, agility, BWA
We need it.

Plus their kicking looks gold because they run so hard and get separation. Every AFL player can do short dink kicks to open space.
this id on the back of a Longmire preseason. Run and get space.

tony_montana

Tiger Rookie
Aug 15, 2018

Warner
Heeney
Rowbottom
Gulden
Jordan
Florent

No slowies there.

That’s more of a hard running midfield than a pacy one.

I still think most of you blokes are way too enamoured with the thought or fantasy of a pacy midfield when the truth is every midfield in the comp has their share of slower players going through there. Hard 2 way running is much more important than having express pace at the coal face. During our dynasty we were by far the quickest side in the comp, by far - our midfield was Cotchin, Prestia and Dusty, all 3 exceptional runners but none of them express pace

Dogs - The bont, McRae, Treloar
Dees - petracca, Oliver
Pies - Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell- last year they had Adams, DeGoey is explosive, Daicos brothers aren’t super quick
Brisbane - Neale, mcClugage, Bailey, Berry, Dunkley are all slow
Carlton - Cripps, Kennedy, Acres, Hewett, Cera are all slow
GWS - Kelly, Caniglio, Green

Do I need to go on? Midfield is about hard 2 way running not pace, you need pace on the outside off HB, wings and fwd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I wish they'd gone in another direction with Balta. Subtract 20 KG's and he's like a mega-cripps. Should be a midfielder.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

I still think most of you blokes are way too enamoured with the thought or fantasy of a pacy midfield when the truth is every midfield in the comp has their share of slower players going through there. Hard 2 way running is much more important than having express pace at the coal face. During our dynasty we were by far the quickest side in the comp, by far - our midfield was Cotchin, Prestia and Dusty, all 3 exceptional runners but none of them express pace

Dees - petracca, Oliver
Pies - Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell- last year they had Adams, DeGoey is explosive, Daicos brothers aren’t super quick

Do I need to go on? Midfield is about hard 2 way running not pace, you need pace on the outside off HB, wings and fwd.
And good vision and decision making helps. Ala *smile* Pendlebury. When’s he gonna retire the old prick

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Dees - petracca, Oliver

You do need someone with a burst from congestion. De Goey, Oliver, Petracca, Dusty and Chimp at their peaks, Warner. McClug and Bailey are not slow and both burst.