Slow midfield | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Slow midfield

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Few too many slow/one paced midfielders being amassed. Prestia Graham Higgins Ross Martin Lambert etc

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Focus on what they can do, no what they can’t do.

Plan for that.

All clubs have talent weaknesses so bemoaning weaknesses is pointless unless you think we can draft the 20 most talented players in the comp and pay them the same salary every other club pays their list.

Reactions: 1 user

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
thegdog said:
Few too many slow/one paced midfielders being amassed. Prestia Graham Higgins Ross Martin Lambert etc

The only two you'd worry about is Grham and Higgins. All others can get separation or are explosive types. Issue is Prestia and Martin's defensive work around stoppages.

E

easy_tiger

Pretty easy remedy.

$hai, Syd, Danny, Sheds into the guts.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Did anyone notice Bolton go into the midfield last night?

I certainly didn’t.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Speed in the midfield is way over rated.

The most important thing is having guys who give you first use. Raw numbers are the game. 30 touches per week.Every week.

the best midfielders at the moment are Neale, Macrae, Oliver, Fyfe and Cripps. None of them are fast.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
evo said:

The most important thing is having guys who give you first use. Raw numbers are the game. 30 touches per week.Every week.

the best midfielders at the moment are Neale, Macrae, Oliver, Fyfe and Cripps. None of them are fast.
Correct to a point. But you need a balance. You need those blokes to get it but you also need those on the outside.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Smoking Aces said:
Correct to a point. But you need a balance. You need those blokes to get it but you also need those on the outside.
I feel like we have those guys though.

Higgins, Shank, Bolton, Rioli, Kamdyn, Baker etc are all fast. It's the least of our problems IMO.

I just want a guy who gets 30 every week. Reasonably confident Ross could be that guy eventually. Hopefully Collier-Dawkins could be too.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Stack is a ready made mid.
Hard, skilled and already amongst our best in every game he has played.
Endurance the only issue.

Many are simply too small to match it ie Higgins.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
evo said:

30 possessions?
First use?
These are overrated stats Richmond lives to exploit.

Second possession means 2+ players working together as a running team. Handballing forward helps limit their options and make it easier for 2+ players to be on the same page - first use and disposal tally says absolutely zero about how teammates are linking up together, which is the only way to unsettle other team’s defensive structures.

A clearance and an individual 30 possum game doesn’t beat team defensive structures.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
123kid said:
These are overrated stats Richmond lives to exploit.
yeah, but when we dont look what happens. Collingwood, GWS and Footscray all spanked us in the midfield because they had first use.

We have to go someway to matching clearances.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
evo said:
yeah, but when we dont look what happens. Collingwood, GWS and Footscray all spanked us in the midfield because they had first use.

We have to go someway to matching clearances.

No we don’t, we were best in the comp without this.

We need to focus on the strengths of the list and work around that, not remodel our players into the shape traditionalists think is ideal.

I remember Cotchin doing all these things in 2016... 30 touches a week.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
123kid said:
No we don’t, we were best in the comp without this.
l.
I don't agree mate. We were the best in the comp. But right now, and until we get Cotch, Reiwoldt and Rance back, we arent the best in the comp at anything.

It's going to be a tough season. We are a middling side at the moment and have to be at out best to beat anyone. Especially when we are conceding clearances.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
evo said:
I don't agree mate. We were the best in the comp.

But right now, and until we get Cotch, Reiwoldt and Rance back, we arent the best in the comp at anything.

It's agoing to be a tough season. We are middling side at the moment and have to be at out best to beat anyone. Especially when we are concedeng clearances.

I don’t believe we are a middling side. We’re still the best club going around right now with something special in the culture.

We’re in premiership contention this year regardless of injuries, because that’s what great clubs do. But we shouldn’t go back to traditional statistical values like clearances, disposal tallies, contested marking tall forwards, etc.

In times of stress, it’s natural for leaders to fall back to what they are comfortable with.

One month before September 2017 Jack said “we’re not the most talented, but we’re unique”. I’m adamant we’ve gotta resist all that and double down on what makes this list unique.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
123kid said:
I don’t believe we are a middling side. We’re still the best club going around right now with something special in the culture.

We’re in clear premiership contention this year unless we revert back to traditional statistical values like clearances, disposal tallies, contested marking tall forwards, etc.

In times of stress, it’s natural for leaders to fall back to what they are comfortable with.

One month before September 2017 Jack said “we’re not the most talented, but we’re unique”. I’m adamant we’ve gotta resist all that and double down on what makes this list unique.
hope you're right.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Slow and weak midfield. It's like only 50% or 75% exist. I see too many holes and it's been like this for too long inc. 2017.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Smoking Aces said:
Did anyone notice Bolton go into the midfield last night?

I certainly didn’t.

I can't brig myself to watch the replay but i recall him in the centre square for a ball up at least once.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
123kid said:

We’re in premiership contention this year regardless of injuries, because that’s what great clubs do. But we shouldn’t go back to traditional statistical values like clearances, disposal tallies, contested marking tall forwards, etc.

Like your analysis but I can't agree that there is only one way our list can play... Footy isn't played in a vacuum, coaches need to adapt players and structures to the external environment ie what opponents are doing ... those who don't adapt perish.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just watching it now, Higgo kicks up and under, Castagna drops a simple mark and off the Dogs go for a goal. Too many holes.

Lack of marks is what really killed us last night.