Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Tiger74 said:
what people think about Advocaat? Heard mixed reviews on him TBH

A good signing I reckon. Managed the Dutch, PSV and Rangers all successfully. Known as an astute football man here in the UK.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Freezer said:
Tiger74 said:

A good signing I reckon. Managed the Dutch, PSV and Rangers all successfully. Known as an astute football man here in the UK.

Some might say so. He has had success but has often left clubs in bad circumstances.. for example Rangers. Heavily criticised by the Dutch media and also the South Koreans. Has quit clubs and even national teams like Borussia Mönchengladbach and UAE after very short tenures.. ie when he has got a better offer somewhere else.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
antman said:
Freezer said:
Tiger74 said:

Some might say so. He has had success but has often left clubs in bad circumstances.. for example Rangers. Heavily criticised by the Dutch media and also the South Koreans. Has quit clubs and even national teams like Borussia Mönchengladbach and UAE after very short tenures.. ie when he has got a better offer somewhere else.

Very true.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Plus his record isn't THAT good, if you look at it in isolation.
Rangers when the only competition is Celtic....and the Dutch team of 1994, well, my Mum could have got them to the quarters... :hihi
Overrated....a "poor man's Hiddink".

JPM

Will Richmond ever be the one?
Sep 3, 2003
East Melbourne
Stuff Avocado, lets do as the RFC have done with the Sheedy dream and wait until Goose Hoodwink is available again!

There is more to Europe than the Netherlands, someone from the French school or Italian might be better, but who would really want the job?!

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
he was our best player imo. carney and JK played really well too.

holman dissapointed me, id rather see a player like nathan burns, or a kaz patafta playing as an attacking mid

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Doolz85 said:
he was our best player imo. carney and JK played really well too.

holman dissapointed me, id rather see a player like nathan burns, or a kaz patafta playing as an attacking mid

Not Kaz Patafta....his priority is to get game time and experience playing for the Victory.
he has done nothing to earn himself a 'Roos jumper.

However, I think you are on the money regarding Nathan Burns.....apparently Liverpool and Aston Villa are two (or many I would suspect) clubs keeping an eye on him, and he is one of the shining lights of the new A-League season so far.
Pity he has got an injury at the moment though... :-\

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Great stuff by the Matildas just now too.... :clap

Needing a draw to get through to the next stage of the World Cup, they were 2-1 down against Canada (after Canada scored in the 85th minute), but in the 93rd minute, got the equaliser to get through.

Woohoo! :clap :clap :clap

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Asia (AFC)
Main article: 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC)
(43 teams competing for 4 or 5 berths, playoff against Oceania to determine exact number)

The first round will take place in October 2007, with the teams ranked 6-24 in the AFC confederation (based on previous World Cup performance) playing two-legged matches against the teams ranked 25-43. The second round will consist of four 2-legged matches between the 8 lowest ranked of the 19 first round qualifiers. The third round will then see the 4 winners from the second round join the the 11 highest ranked winners from the first round matches and also teams ranked 1-5 (Australia, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Japan and Iran) in 5 groups of 4 teams. The top 2 teams from these 5 groups will go into the final round, where there will be 2 groups of 5 teams each.

Teams 1-5
(byes to 3rd round)
Australia
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Japan
Iran

Teams 6-15
(seeded for 1st round)
Bahrain
Uzbekistan
Kuwait
North Korea
China
Jordan
Iraq
Lebanon
Oman
United Arab Emirates

Teams 16-24
(seeded for 1st round)
Qatar
Syria
Palestine
Thailand
Turkmenistan
Tajikistan
Indonesia
Hong Kong
Yemen

Teams 25-34
(not seeded for 1st round)
Vietnam
Kyrgyzstan
Maldives
India
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Malaysia
Taiwan
Bangladesh
Macao

Teams 35-43
(not seeded for 1st round)
Pakistan
Afghanistan
Mongolia
Guam (Withdrew on August 8, 2007)
Nepal
Cambodia
Bhutan
Myanmar
East Timor

Did not enter[2]

Brunei
Laos
Philippines

Pinched from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup#Asia_.28AFC.29

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
It looks like the socceroos go straight through to round 3

round 3 - finish 1 or 2 (from a group of 4 teams) then we go to the final round (round 4)
round 4- finish 1 or 2 ( group of 5 teams ) then we qualify for the world cup

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
The new man:

Verbeek installed as Socceroos coach
Posted 2 hours 49 minutes ago
Dutchman Pim Verbeek was announced as the new head coach of Socceroos at a Football Federation Australia (FFA) press conference in Sydney this afternoon.
The 51-year-old takes over from caretaker coach Graham Arnold, ending an 18-month search to replace World Cup coach Guus Hiddink.
National daily The Australian reported on Thursday morning that FFA boss Ben Buckley sealed the deal during a meeting with Verbeek in Singapore on Wednesday.
Verbeek beat out Frenchman Philippe Troussier, thought earlier this week to be the frontrunner for the vacant post, for the Socceroos' gig.
Verbeek led the South Korean national team at the 2007 Asian Cup after being promoted from the assistant coaching role, which he also fulfilled with the UAE.
His coaching portfolio includes Dutch first division sides Sparta Rotterdam, Feyenoord and Fortuna Sittard.

A bit about him:

Pim Verbeek (born March 12, 1956 in Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland) is a Dutch football manager who was the head coach of the South Korea national football team until July 2007. Verbeek was also an assistant under predecessors Guus Hiddink in 2002 and *smile* Advocaat in 2006. He is currently the head coach of the Australian national team[1].
The Korea Football Association signed him to a coaching contract on June 26, 2006 until 2008. His brother Robert Verbeek is also a football coach. Pim led Korea to a third-place finish at the 2007 AFC Asian Cup, guaranteeing them an automatic berth in the 2011 tournament. He resigned after the third-place game, however, saying he needs a break from coaching for approximately five months.
Reports have linked him to the Australia job, as he says he would welcome another job in Asia.[2] Verbeek was announced as the Australian coach on 6 December 2007.[3]
As a player, he spent most of his career at Sparta Rotterdam.

Places coached:

1981-1984 Sparta Rotterdam
1989-1991 Feyenoord Rotterdam
1992-1993 FC Groningen
1994-1997 Fortuna Sittard
1998-2000 Omiya Ardija
2000-2002 South Korea (assistant coach)
2002-2003 PSV Eindhoven (reserves)
2003 Kyoto Purple Sanga
2004 Netherlands Antilles
2004-2005 Borussia Mönchengladbach (assistant coach)
2005 UAE (assistant coach)
2005-2006 South Korea (assistant coach)
2006-2007 South Korea
2007-present Australia

71311240.jpg

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
I could be wrong but I think he coached Groningen when I saw them lose the Amstel Cup final. Pretty underwhelming resume.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
I could be wrong but I think he coached Groningen when I saw them lose the Amstel Cup final. Pretty underwhelming resume.

If you were there in the 1990s...then you could be right.

In fact, if you take out the 2 years at Feyenoord (18 years ago!) and the 1 year at South Korea...he really hasn't coached anyone decent on his own...ever!

It's a big gamble.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
If you were there in the 1990s...then you could be right.

In fact, if you take out the 2 years at Feyenoord (18 years ago!) and the 1 year at South Korea...he really hasn't coached anyone decent on his own...ever!

It's a big gamble.

I get why we got him. We don't have the $$$ or the locale to attract the big fish (yet :)), especially with the England job on the table.

This being said, did we pick the right guy? As you say, his resume was not outstanding but solid. Has made a commitment to be in Australia more, which is great, and he does have knowledge of how to play Asia, something we really lacked in the Asian Cup.

My concern though is we picked him just because he is from the School of Gus.

This being said, I have heard only bad things about Troussier. I liked his idea of weekly training for the A-League players in prep for the Qatar game though.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Tiger74 said:
I get why we got him. We don't have the $$$ or the locale to attract the big fish (yet :)), especially with the England job on the table.

This being said, did we pick the right guy? As you say, his resume was not outstanding but solid. Has made a commitment to be in Australia more, which is great, and he does have knowledge of how to play Asia, something we really lacked in the Asian Cup.

My concern though is we picked him just because he is from the School of Gus.

This being said, I have heard only bad things about Troussier. I liked his idea of weekly training for the A-League players in prep for the Qatar game though.

Realistically we were down to two - Troussier and Verbeek. The stars worked in our favour to get Guus and we are unlikely to ever get someone of his stature again. We are a small fish in the World football pool.

Troussier had the better resume - success on several continents, not just Asia and in the WC - but apparently Baan pushed more for Verbeek - a continuation of the Dutch style and so on.

I would have preferred Troussier but am happy with Verbeek. Better than paying over the top for a Houllier or a Klinsmann who would do the job from afar.

And I prefer either Troussier or Verbeek over Advocaat - we dodged a bullet when he chose not to come.