Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

antman said:
Realistically we were down to two - Troussier and Verbeek. The stars worked in our favour to get Guus and we are unlikely to ever get someone of his stature again. We are a small fish in the World football pool.

Troussier had the better resume - success on several continents, not just Asia and in the WC - but apparently Baan pushed more for Verbeek - a continuation of the Dutch style and so on.

I would have preferred Troussier but am happy with Verbeek. Better than paying over the top for a Houllier or a Klinsmann who would do the job from afar.

And I prefer either Troussier or Verbeek over Advocaat - we dodged a bullet when he chose not to come.

Agree on the Advocadoman, hope we get a few FIFA bucks from the "settlement" against him too.

The Socceroos squad for the game against Qatar on the 6th Feb at the Dome:

John Aloisi,
Michael Beauchamp,
Mark Bresciano,
Mark Bridge,
Alex Brosque,
Jacob Burns,
Tim Cahill,
Nick Carle,
David Carney,
Simon Colosimo,
Ante Covic,
Jason Culina,
Bruce Djite,
Travis Dodd,
Brett Emerton,
Vince Grella,
Adam Griffiths,
Joel Griffiths,
James Holland,
Brett Holman,
Josh Kennedy,
Harry Kewell,
Scott McDonald,
Mark Milligan,
Craig Moore,
Kevin Muscat,
Stuart Musialik,
Lucas Neill,
Jade North,
Tom Pondeljak,
Mark Schwarzer,
Archie Thompson,
Nikolai Topor-Stanley,
Michael Thwaite,
James Troisi,
Carl Valeri,
Rodrigo Vargas,
Danny Vukovic,
Luke Wilkshire

No real surprises yet, as it seems Verbeek has picked just about every registered Australian player in this squad.
I'm gathering he will check out who will be able to make it from overseas for a start and also which A-league players he has in this preliminary squad shine during the finals.

Everything Pim is saying indicates he will go with a blended a-league/OS-based team. But more OS based than local. The problem is the OS players will be knackered - it's a bit of a crap shoot to be honest.

As for the squad selection, it's so large as to be meaningless at this stage. Not that I blame Pim for that, I'd probably do the same. It's basically saying he wants to go with as many overseas guys as possible, and use the A-leaguers for cover if necessary.

Kewell, Carle, Beauchamp....all NOT coming.

Cahill, Neill, Emerton, Schwarzer, Kennedy....all expected to arrive.

It's an interesting one. Kewell hasn't been playing well or regularly for Liverpool recently. Pim must feel he has the "kewell" role covered or at least Kewell does not fit into his game plan for this game.

Also, it's a pretty sensitive time for Kewell - contract nearly up at Merseyside and he is a fringe player at best. Even though no-one will say this publicly, it might be that Kewell/his manager/Pim have done a deal to "excuse" Harry for this game. NB I have no evidence that this is the case, mind....

antman said:
It's an interesting one. Kewell hasn't been playing well or regularly for Liverpool recently. Pim must feel he has the "kewell" role covered or at least Kewell does not fit into his game plan for this game.

Also, it's a pretty sensitive time for Kewell - contract nearly up at Merseyside and he is a fringe player at best. Even though no-one will say this publicly, it might be that Kewell/his manager/Pim have done a deal to "excuse" Harry for this game. NB I have no evidence that this is the case, mind....

Liverpool don't have that many left options and with Chelsea this weekend....I'm sure Pim and Rafa struck a deal...and maybe Harry will be in the squad for the China game, with Cahill missing for that one.

Also, take into account that Kewell wasn't even on the bench for the Sunderland game on the weekend, so no guarantee that he isn't carrying a slight injury anyways.

Final 21 to be cut down to 18:

John Aloisi,
Mark Bresciano,
Jacob Burns,
Tim Cahill,
David Carney,
Ante Covic,
Jason Culina,
Brett Emerton,
Brett Holman,
Josh Kennedy,
Scott McDonald,
Craig Moore,
Lucas Neill,
Jade North,
Mark Schwarzer,
Archie Thompson,
Nikolai Topor-Stanley,
James Troisi,
Carl Valeri,
Danny Vukovic,
Luke Wilkshire

There has been talk of Pim playing only one up-front with 2 holding midfielders.
I think that would be disastrous and would simply play into the hands of Qatar who will play ultra-defensive and on the break.
The pressure is on us to get a result at home and we need to keep Qatar pinned back and go for the jugular to get that.

...................Schwarzer
Emerton...Moore...Neill...Wilkshire
Bresciano...Culina...Valeri...Carney
...............Cahill...McDonald

* Schwarzer as goalie is a no-brainer
* I reckon the back-4 pick themselves.
* Valeri to partner Culina in the middle, Bresciano out on the right...Carney the obvious choice out on the left.
* Cahill and McDonald to play upfront, as they are both in form for their clubs. If things are getting desperate, we can always slot Aloisi (or Kennedy or Thompson) in for Cahill, and move Cahill into the middle to replace Valeri.

With Qatar missing their main goal-scorer and their last few friendlies (including the Asian Cup campaign) being less than ordinary, I expect their best chance at scoring being from a set-piece.
If we keep them pinned back in their half, then I don't see them scoring.

Also, us being at home, quality will shine through in the end regardless of how tired the players are.

Socceroos to win...4-0 (they better because I will be there 8))

Lets go Socceroos, first step towards back to back world cups begins here.

Cahill Scores, 2nd Goal!

SEN saying no mercy will be shown.... a lot counts on goal difference...

32' AUS - goal - Bresciano hits a low and hard shot past Saqr after terrific pass from McDonald.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/Socceroos/default.aspx?s=aus_soc_news_feat_news_news_item&id=21350

Aus 3 Qatar Nil so far

Yeah...a good win.

Thought we would win by close to that margin, but didn't think we'd finish them off as quick as we did.

The next game is one of the key games though: China, away, at altitude.

Win this game in late March and we're looking good.