Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Streak said:
Australia 2 - Germany 1

Which Germany were we playing. Their U16 youth squad, or their National Women's team?

Geez that's harsh Streaker. Great effort by the 'roos.

Just finished watching last nights match. Good second half by the boys. Bresciano is still in our best 11 by some margin. Shame Brosque is 28. If he was 18 I'd be excited.

Baloo said:
Just finished watching last nights match. Good second half by the boys. Bresciano is still in our best 11 by some margin. Shame Brosque is 28. If he was 18 I'd be excited.
The standard of refereeing at some of the world cup qualifiers is awful. That offside decision against Lucas Neill was a real shocker.

Confederation Refs in the Confederation qualifiers. We can't expect too much. If they don't show an obvious bias then it's a good start.

Troisi reportedly signing for Juventus and put on loan to Pescara who were promoted to Serie A.

Matthew Leckie is on loan to FSV Frankfurt, should be a good move to get some consistent game time.

Also looks like Curtis Good could be heading to Newcastle United in the Premier League. His former teammate Eli Babalj recently joined Red Star Belgrade in the Serbian Superliga.

Good signs for the next generation.

Asian cup starts Friday... This will probably be the biggest international football tournament we'll see in this country for a least a generation (perhaps our lifetime), so its massive for the Socceroos.

From what I believe there are only category 1 tix left for Friday's opening match. I bought my ticket months ago of course. I'm also going to the Melbourne quarter final (the Socceroos will play in this if we top our group) and the final in Sydney.

So can we win it? Recent form suggests not, but I think we can. Ange will have them firing come Friday I reckon.

I bought Asian cup tickets for my son but I notice Aami park was called Melbourne rectangular centre...why?

interesting to note that we are undefeated in 20 international games at home... and i'm pretty sure that loss was against china when we fielded a second string side after we had already qualified for the next stage of world cup qualifying.

tigertim said:
I bought Asian cup tickets for my son but I notice Aami park was called Melbourne rectangular centre...why?

its a sponsorship thing. AAMI isn't an official sponsor of the tournament. you'll find ANZ and suncorp stadiums won't be able to go by these names as well.

I can't believe there's only one quarter-final in Melbourne, while Sydney gets a quarter, semi, and the final, and even Newcastle gets a semi and the 3rd v 4th playoff.

*smile* Newcastle!

Who the hell scheduled this?!

spook said:
I can't believe there's only one quarter-final in Melbourne, while Sydney gets a quarter, semi, and the final, and even Newcastle gets a semi and the 3rd v 4th playoff.

*smile*ing Newcastle!

Who the hell scheduled this?!

you can blame the former state govt for this. they had no interest in this tournament. they refused to enforce that etihad be made available for games here. and publically stated that we already have the tennis, so we don't need the big games at the later stages of the tournament... so they didn't even bother bidding for any of them. it is a joke because i'm pretty sure its the biggest sports tournament in the world this year in terms of tv viewership.

FYI, i bought flights and tix to the final in sydney months ago. if australia gets that far, there is no way in the world i'm gonna miss it (especially after missing out on brazil).

tigertim said:

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium.....geez. Don't they allow commercial names?

Ian4 said:
you can blame the former state govt for this. they had no interest in this tournament. they refused to enforce that etihad be made available for games here. and publically stated that we already have the tennis, so we don't need the big games at the later stages of the tournament... so they didn't even bother bidding for any of them. it is a joke because i'm pretty sure its the biggest sports tournament in the world this year in terms of tv viewership.

FYI, i bought flights and tix to the final in sydney months ago. if australia gets that far, there is no way in the world i'm gonna miss it (especially after missing out on brazil).

I know they did put in a bid for the final - but they are not prepared to pay overs for this or any other event to be staged in Melbourne. I think they were happy to get the opening game, opening ceremony and to have the Asian Football Council all come and have their meeting in Melbourne which I think is happening today.

Soccer is very Sydney centric so it was an almost impossible ask to get the final to be played in Melbourne.

Newcastle over Melbourne doesn't make sense for a semi final though, from both a business and sport perspective - that seems to be a decision that tells the Melbourne fraternity to stick it.

Anyway, I have just found out that the game tonight is not live on free to air tv - only on ABC delayed starting at 10pm - that has got me stunned - how could FFA be so stupid to give this to pay tv it is so very short sighted - with all the press they have had on the socceroos this week which has even trumped the coverage on cricket - an then not let anyone sit down and watch the game live - means my 7 year old son who was planning to watch the game with me will miss out - AFL would be laughing at this decision.