Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yep. Bit of controversy about Volpato as always. its almost getting to the point where we may need to cut our losses.
I've already written him off. He's making the Italian junior sides. Being on the fringes of the Italian National team will be more appealing that playing for Australia I reckon. Most likely financially better as well.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone been watching the Asian Cup? Some intriguing match ups of teams you wouldn’t often see.

Interesting reading and listening some of the more neutral previews before the tournament on Al Jezeera. Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Japan and South Korea rated the teams to beat. Australia not really figuring in the analyst predictions.

Japan and South Korea underwhelming so far. Saudi’s ok, but didn’t look brilliant. Australia seem to be getting the job done under the radar, wouldn’t write us off. Iraq and Iran in particular not putting a foot wrong yet. Iraq getting the perfect 3 wins from a higher quality group too. Look like the two team to beat as far as I observe.

In the context of Asian football, who could we see in the medium term joining this upper range of teams?

Uzbekistan a really awkward opponent, quite solid. In fact have been consistently solid since joining the Asian Confederation on independence , but just never quite taken that next step.

Vietnam, although they didn’t get the results, stood out to me as having the flair and organisation that gives them the potential to work towards joining the likes of South Korea and Japan. Quite an entertaining team. Look for them to possibly come from the clouds in coming years.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone been watching the Asian Cup? Some intriguing match ups of teams you wouldn’t often see.

Interesting reading and listening some of the more neutral previews before the tournament on Al Jezeera. Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Japan and South Korea rated the teams to beat. Australia not really figuring in the analyst predictions.

Japan and South Korea underwhelming so far. Saudi’s ok, but didn’t look brilliant. Australia seem to be getting the job done under the radar, wouldn’t write us off. Iraq and Iran in particular not putting a foot wrong yet. Iraq getting the perfect 3 wins from a higher quality group too. Look like the two team to beat as far as I observe.

In the context of Asian football, who could we see in the medium term joining this upper range of teams?

Uzbekistan a really awkward opponent, quite solid. In fact have been consistently solid since joining the Asian Confederation on independence , but just never quite taken that next step.

Vietnam, although they didn’t get the results, stood out to me as having the flair and organisation that gives them the potential to work towards joining the likes of South Korea and Japan. Quite an entertaining team. Look for them to possibly come from the clouds in coming years.
Looks like I spoke too soon. Iraq down 0-1 to Jordan at HT of their qtr final clash.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
I've watched most of the early (10.30pm AEDST) starts. Very even tournament. Australia, nothing flash (it is an Arnold team after all) but have ground out the required results through discipline.

Japan & Sth Korea a bit flaky to date but hoping to lift a gear in the knockout stages.

Many of the less credentialed nations playing a fast, attacking brand but lack polish to finish then leave themselves open through disorganised defending.

Currently Iraq have turned around the 1/2 time deficit to lead Jordan 2-1, though the scorer of their 2nd goal has been sent off after receiving a 2nd yellow card for excessive celebrating with 1/4 hour to play.

We're in the 1/4 finals to play either Saudi Arabia or Sth Korea. Making semis would be a good result, especially for a group without any major European league representatives.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
2-2 in the 5th of minimum 7 minutes of added time...2-3, Jordan have just scored again. Iraq may not have time to kick off.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I have struggled to get into it. Arnold and his team selection. Oil money virtually running the AFC. Plus i am going to London next week for a Football trip.

If Australia win their quarter final, they will get to the final. However, I can't see us beating the winner of Saudi Arabia v South Korea.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Arnold teams in particular arent great against teams they are expected to beat. It's always a hard watch, and we often get caught on the counter.

Team selections have been baffling too

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Same. Struggling to enjoy the matches. Watched them all but haven't been thrilled.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I have struggled to get into it. Arnold and his team selection. Oil money virtually running the AFC. Plus i am going to London next week for a Football trip.

If Australia win their quarter final, they will get to the final. However, I can't see us beating the winner of Saudi Arabia v South Korea.
I’ve always said the AFC is a strange mishmash.

Ideally it would be split into two confederations and Oceania disbanded.

You end up with the nations of the Middle East, plus West and Central Asia as one confederation.

The nations of East Asia, SE Asia and Oceania forming another.

The Indian subcontinent region is the only part I’m not convinced either way on. Do these nations go to the proposed western Asian federation or the Eastern Asia/Oceania one? Or perhaps get split between the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Arnold teams in particular arent great against teams they are expected to beat. It's always a hard watch, and we often get caught on the counter.

Team selections have been baffling too

Arnold has no answer to a low block. But ironically, I fancy my chances against South Korea because they will come to play against us.

Ideally it would be split into two confederations and Oceania disbanded.

You end up with the nations of the Middle East, plus West and Central Asia as one confederation.

The nations of East Asia, SE Asia and Oceania forming another.

You're preaching to the choir mate. i have been arguing this for years. But it'll never happen

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
on the Asian Cup, agree with Ian and PT that a reorg of the Asian Confed would be good but won't happen - too much power and money involved in keeping it a big confed. To be fair though all those nations are Asian - from the ME to North Asia, all part of the Asian continent.

Agree Ian on the South Koreans, looked really sharp hammering the Saudis who defended amazingly well to keep them out. But, they won't play a low block and our defence has also been solid so it's a 50/50 game for mine. Then we have a relatively easy path to the final, the other side of the draw is much tougher.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Both teams a level above next opponents Jordan. Shame one will miss out.

Korea pressing hard but Ryan has some critical saves in extra time.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Korea have just brilliantly converted a free kick to take a 2-1 lead with just over 1/4 hour left. We're up against it now.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Cruel on young Miller but justified penalty has taken the 1/4 final v Sth Korea to extra time.
Reminded me of the World Cup last 16 final against Italy. Dying stages of the game and commits the mortal sign of talking from behind in the box.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
O'Niell sent off. Can't see us clawing it back from here.

Last 15mins here we come.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Sadly, we're just about done after a very harsh VAR red card to O'Neil.
Wasn't harsh. Sliding into him, studs up and connects with the Koreans shin.

When you go in studs up and connect, it's a clear red these days.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I wonder what the NSW media will have to say about the Socceroos loss to South Korea. The Socceroos have now been knocked out in the quarter finals in 2019 and 2024.