Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Don't forget it's 48 teams from 2026. AFC goes from 4 teams to 8.

Actually 4.5 to 8, but yeah. Which makes me rage internally - there will be 16!!! groups of three, top two go into the knockout round of 32 teams and it goes from there. It means if you finish third in the group you only get two games and it's sayonara, back on the plane home. Also a big disadvantage for the team that doesn't play in the first game of the group, they will be underdone and teams that play the first game can strategise depending on the result.

On the plus side it's only 16 total extra games, and it's still six games to get to the final.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Actually 4.5 to 8, but yeah. Which makes me rage internally - there will be 16!!! groups of three, top two go into the knockout round of 32 teams and it goes from there. It means if you finish third in the group you only get two games and it's sayonara, back on the plane home. Also a big disadvantage for the team that doesn't play in the first game of the group, they will be underdone and teams that play the first game can strategise depending on the result.

On the plus side it's only 16 total extra games, and it's still six games to get to the final.
groups of 3 are more likely to promote defensive games i reckon, but wont necessarily disadvantage the team that doesnt play first.
Say Aust, France and Denmark are drawn together. France beat Denmark 2-0 first up. Australia know a 1-0 loss to France and a draw against Denmark gets them through.
they almost may as well make it a straight knock out. could either expand to 64 teams, or keep it at 48 and give the 16 highest ranked teams the 1 rd off.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
groups of 3 are more likely to promote defensive games i reckon, but wont necessarily disadvantage the team that doesnt play first.
Say Aust, France and Denmark are drawn together. France beat Denmark 2-0 first up. Australia know a 1-0 loss to France and a draw against Denmark gets them through.
they almost may as well make it a straight knock out. could either expand to 64 teams, or keep it at 48 and give the 16 highest ranked teams the 1 rd off.

True, could depend on the scenario Broderick. Still a disadvantage not have played a game on the same day though IMO. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
squad of 29 picked primarily full of Arnold favourites again. Rogic has since pulled out.

Nathaniel Atkinson, Aziz Behich, Martin Boyle, Nicholas D’Agostino, Jason Davidson, Milos Degenek, Kenny Dougall, Mitchell Duke, Denis Genreau, Craig Goodwin, Ajdin Hrustic, Jackson Irvine, Fran Karacic, Joel King, Mathew Leckie, Awer Mabil, Jamie MaClaren, Riley McGree, Aaron Mooy, Andrew Redmayne (Gk), Tom Rogic, Kye Rowles, Mathew Ryan (Gk), Trent Sainsbury, Gianni Stensness, Adam Taggart, Marco Tilio, Danny Vukovic (GK) Bailey Wright

FIFA doesn’t have any logic. I’m all for expanding world cup places, but 48 teams with 16 groups of 3 is a joke. It should be 40 teams. 8 groups of 5. 4 group games. Top 2 through progress to knockout phase.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
squad of 29 picked primarily full of Arnold favourites again. Rogic has since pulled out.

Nathaniel Atkinson, Aziz Behich, Martin Boyle, Nicholas D’Agostino, Jason Davidson, Milos Degenek, Kenny Dougall, Mitchell Duke, Denis Genreau, Craig Goodwin, Ajdin Hrustic, Jackson Irvine, Fran Karacic, Joel King, Mathew Leckie, Awer Mabil, Jamie MaClaren, Riley McGree, Aaron Mooy, Andrew Redmayne (Gk), Tom Rogic, Kye Rowles, Mathew Ryan (Gk), Trent Sainsbury, Gianni Stensness, Adam Taggart, Marco Tilio, Danny Vukovic (GK) Bailey Wright

FIFA doesn’t have any logic. I’m all for expanding world cup places, but 48 teams with 16 groups of 3 is a joke. It should be 40 teams. 8 groups of 5. 4 group games. Top 2 through progress to knockout phase.
32 was fine. An achievement just to make it. You have to get on the 1,2,4,8,16,32,64 sequence at some point so you may as well just start at 32.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
32 was fine. An achievement just to make it. You have to get on the 1,2,4,8,16,32,64 sequence at some point so you may as well just start at 32.

Agree 100%. Now with Asia having 8 spots it will make qualification a formality and thus boring and irrelevant.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Agree 100%. Now with Asia having 8 spots it will make qualification a formality and thus boring and irrelevant.

We’ve discussed this more than once, but East and West Asia should be split and Oceana merged with East Asia to create a Asia pacific confederation. The politics are too complicated to do this now, but it should have happened long ago.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We’ve discussed this more than once, but East and West Asia should be split and Oceana merged with East Asia to create a Asia pacific confederation. The politics are too complicated to do this now, but it should have happened long ago.

Yeah, I would agree with that! Although we'd still have the issue of 4 teams coming from East Asia... maybe one big group like conmebol and the four top go through would work.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
there is merit in joining the Oceania and asia. even if just to provide more competitive and meaningful games to the smaller countries, and New Zealand.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Australia 0-1 v Argentina in Beijing to an early Messi goal, now 5 minutes before 1/2 time, growing into the game nicely...

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Feel sorry for J McLaren. Never gets much time on field...Still 0-1, 1/2 hour to play

I'll probably be accused of saying this because he's a City player, but McLaren is just not a big game player. he scores for fun in the A-League, but has never scored in an A-League GF in 3 attempts. His 8 international goals are against the following opponents: Palestine, Nepal, Chinese Taipei, Vietnam and Oman.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Aaron Mooy retired from all football. What a player he has been.
Back injury seems to have ended his career. One thing that stood out about Mooy was the speed at which he'd pass that ball. Very good distributor that had defenders on their toes.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Anyone else heading to the game tonight?
Should be a cracker, 2 traditional footballing powerhouses.

Anyone have suggestions for parking in Richmond from 7 tonight?
I usually train it, but would prefer my son is home before 1am for school tomorrow.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Anyone else heading to the game tonight?
Should be a cracker, 2 traditional footballing powerhouses.

Anyone have suggestions for parking in Richmond from 7 tonight?
I usually train it, but would prefer my son is home before 1am for school tomorrow.

I usually park next to Burnley station and then train it in from there. Its a quick getaway onto the freeway from there.