Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yep, which is universally what the footballing world thought of Australia.
Where I'm coming from. Australia realised years ago that Oceania is pointless. So many meaningless dead rubber games. And no clear pathway to world cups. Even though a lot of the Oceania teams wouldn't get to World Cup or Asia Cup finals, I'd love to see them given more of an opportunity to play a greater array of meaningful games. And it would benefit the game in the lesser Asian countries too. Getting more competitive matches at their relative level. Building tough, robust competitiveness at all levels of the tree. Rather than selfishly looking out for just Australia. I'm holistically thinking of the game more widely.

But then I suppose I am off the mark. Here's an organisation that talks of holistic aims of growing the overall health of the game. But at it's heart it is the personification of narcissism and self interest. Which Qatar getting the world cup it perfectly representative of.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Where I'm coming from. Australia realised years ago that Oceania is pointless. So many meaningless dead rubber games. And no clear pathway to world cups. Even though a lot of the Oceania teams wouldn't get to World Cup or Asia Cup finals, I'd love to see them given more of an opportunity to play a greater array of meaningful games. And it would benefit the game in the lesser Asian countries too. Getting more competitive matches at their relative level. Rather than selfishly looking out for just Australia. I'm holistically thinking of the game more widely.

All noble intentions, but I'll take this back to where it started. Blasting FIFA as a corrupt organisation while celebrating the fact Australia now has a fair pathway to World Cup qualification is a hypocritical. It's the reason I'll enjoy this years World Cup regardless of where it is hosted. The only real decision for me is whether to use the tickets I have lined up for the event.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
All noble intentions, but I'll take this back to where it started. Blasting FIFA as a corrupt organisation while celebrating the fact Australia now has a fair pathway to World Cup qualification is a hypocritical. It's the reason I'll enjoy this years World Cup regardless of where it is hosted. The only real decision for me is whether to use the tickets I have lined up for the event.
But I'm not celebrating that Australia has a fair pathway. I'm saying that I find it lamentable that it wasn't used as an opportunity to take Oceania with us for the health of our entire confederation and the health of the overall game in Asia and the Pacific.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
But I'm not celebrating that Australia has a fair pathway. I'm saying that I find it lamentable that it wasn't used as an opportunity to take Oceania with us for the health of our entire confederation and the health of the overall game in Asia and the Pacific.

I'm not sure what position you are taking here. You'd rather Australia stay in Oceania unless it could have maneuvered to bring the whole confederation to Asia? Again, very noble, but that was never going to happen.

Australia becoming a regular World Cup qualifier increases our standing in the AFC and FIFA. We have a much better chance of getting the AFC to adopt Oceania when we're a strong member of the AFC than we had from outside it.

Even then it's up to the OFC to decide if they want to be subsumed in Asia. All it will mean is NZ have a better shot of qualifying and minnow AFC teams like Malaysia, Singapore, Mongolia etc get a chance to win a couple of games in the early stages.

Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure what position you are taking here. You'd rather Australia stay in Oceania unless it could have maneuvered to bring the whole confederation to Asia? Again, very noble, but that was never going to happen.

Australia becoming a regular World Cup qualifier increases our standing in the AFC and FIFA. We have a much better chance of getting the AFC to adopt Oceania when we're a strong member of the AFC than we had from outside it.

Even then it's up to the OFC to decide if they want to be subsumed in Asia. All it will mean is NZ have a better shot of qualifying and minnow AFC teams like Malaysia, Singapore, Mongolia etc get a chance to win a couple of games in the early stages.

Essentially it started with me saying that I was of the view that I would have liked to see Oceania disbanded and absorbed into a reformed Asian Confederation. All theoretical hypotheticals of course. You bluntly said no you don't agree (so I assume you think that wasn't a good idea). So the conversation was just serving as me extending on as to why I held a different position to you.

Like I say, I know I'm off the mark from a realist's point of view. Because obviously I'm talking theoretical hypotheticals of how the game could work holistically in better ways. And here's an organisation that talks of holistic aims of growing the overall health of the game. But at it's heart it is the personification of narcissism and self interest. Which Qatar getting the world cup is perfectly representative of.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Pendlebury? Nah he couldnt play any other sport than Aussie Rules.

Low sense of gravity. Good poise. Good evasion skills. Of the suggested players provided, he is clearly the most qualified to make the transition. Another good example would be Shane Edwards. Good in traffic and can create space out of nothing.

I'm actually of the belief that Oceania should have been disbanded and absorbed into Asia. It becomes an Asia-Pacific Confederation.

Yep, agree. East and west Asia should be split, and Oceana incorporated in East Asia (maybe even rename the confederation to Asia Pacific). It’ll never happen now because Oceana will have their own spot as of the next world cup, but it should.

Robbie Kruse has ekked out an international career without being a special player.

Completely disagree. Robbie Kruse was one of the technically gifted players we have ever produced but was cruelled by injury. Was our best player in the 2014 qualifying campaign, only for him to do his ACL and miss the world cup. Then was MOTM in the 2015 Asian Cup final, only for a dog tackle to keep him out for another 6 months. At this time, he was playing for a club that was a regular in the champions league. And while he was clearly past his best in the 2018 qualifying campaign, he was still number 1 for assists in the campaign.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Low sense of gravity. Good poise. Good evasion skills. Of the suggested players provided, he is clearly the most qualified to make the transition. Another good example would be Shane Edwards. Good in traffic and can create space out of nothing.

Yep, agree. East and west Asia should be split, and Oceana incorporated in East Asia (maybe even rename the confederation to Asia Pacific). It’ll never happen now because Oceana will have their own spot as of the next world cup, but it should.

Completely disagree. Robbie Kruse was one of the technically gifted players we have ever produced but was cruelled by injury. Was our best player in the 2014 qualifying campaign, only for him to do his ACL and miss the world cup. Then was MOTM in the 2015 Asian Cup final, only for a dog tackle to keep him out for another 6 months. At this time, he was playing for a club that was a regular in the champions league. And while he was clearly past his best in the 2018 qualifying campaign, he was still number 1 for assists in the campaign.
I sometimes wonder whether some of the Rioli clan would have made pretty special soccer players, in a historical sliding doors moment that Australian Rules Footy never existed and they grew up on a diet of soccer instead. I'd hazard a guess in that hypothetical, areas like the Tiwi Islands would produce the kinds of spectacular players we see coming out of the Favelas of Rio and Sao Paulo or the slums of Buenos Aires.

And what about a strong nuggety, extremely skilled bloke, like Leigh Matthews, if he grew up as a soccer player instead of an Australian rules footy player? Hungry Bartlett another historical figure that might have had the right attributes if he grew up playing a different chosen sport.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Pretty sure Brodders was having a laugh by singling out Mr Basketball

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Essentially it started with me saying that I was of the view that I would have liked to see Oceania disbanded and absorbed into a reformed Asian Confederation. All theoretical hypotheticals of course. You bluntly said no you don't agree (so I assume you think that wasn't a good idea). So the conversation was just serving as me extending on as to why I held a different position to you.

Like I say, I know I'm off the mark from a realist's point of view. Because obviously I'm talking theoretical hypotheticals of how the game could work holistically in better ways. And here's an organisation that talks of holistic aims of growing the overall health of the game. But at it's heart it is the personification of narcissism and self interest. Which Qatar getting the world cup is perfectly representative of.

Ah, fair enough. I thought it started with the Qatar World Cup not being a worthy World Cup for the participants.

When it comes to qualifications and draws, I always felt Europe was the most hard done by. There are always teams qualifying from CONCAF, Africa and Asia that the non-qualifying European teams would wipe the floor with. Should the World Cup be made up of the best teams in the world, or the best teams from all over the world?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Ah, fair enough. I thought it started with the Qatar World Cup not being a worthy World Cup for the participants.
Yes, well we also disagree on that. I reckon Qatar is a shitfully terrible place for a world cup from a few different angles. :)

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
His goal scoring was a series of almosts. Technically gifted until it required the final touch. That's what separates the best.

In reality, not one of the most technically gifted we have ever produced. That is reserved for the likes of Kewell/Viduka/Cahill. The likes of Skoko & Bresciano also much more technically gifted. Emerton, Okon a couple more.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
His goal scoring was a series of almosts. Technically gifted until it required the final touch. That's what separates the best.

In reality, not one of the most technically gifted we have ever produced. That is reserved for the likes of Kewell/Viduka/Cahill. The likes of Skoko & Bresciano also much more technically gifted. Emerton, Okon a couple more.
Grella robbed

• Haha

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

Yeah they're all up there. But I would add Grella, Zelic and Rogic to that list.

And I stand by my words what I said about Kruse. Viduka number 1.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yeah they're all up there. But I would add Grella, Zelic and Rogic to that list.

And I stand by my words what I said about Kruse. Viduka number 1.
Agree with you about Viduka, I'm probably a bit biased being a Leeds supporter.
Those 4 goals he scored for Leeds in that game against Liverpool are hard for Australian player to top.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Big few weeks for the boys coming up, friendly against Jordan this week in Qatar, maybe worth watching to check out the amazing Al Janoub stadium, only a few people died building it apparently. 4:00am Thursday on 10

1653868675419.png

Following Thursday the 8th one-off qualifier against UAE, normatlly this would be a walk in the park but as we know this year we ain't all that. If we squeak through that game we'll face Peru in the intercontinental playoff for a place in the Cup on June 13.

Like I say we don't really deserve to make it given our stinky form, and I reckon Peru will get the job done... but if we make it through, no chance of getting out of the group with Arnie as coach. But hey, I'll be watching. Our group is France, Tunisia, Denmark - if we make it.

Last edited: