SORRY-A 5 letter word thats made history | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

SORRY-A 5 letter word thats made history

How do you think Kevin's apology went today?

• Kev did Australia proud.

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Should never have said sorry.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Needed saying but could have worded it better.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I thought this topic was worthy of a devoted thread.

Thank you Kevin for having the courage and conviction to take the first step towards a united Australia. Although saying sorry doesn't lessen the horrific experience suffered by so many hopefully it will bring closure to those who've suffered and help all Australians move forward towards a united and equal future regardless of past history, race or culture. The unanimous acceptance in Parliament speaks volumes.

Onya Brendan for the bipartisan support and willingness to work with the Govt towards a new beginning for all Australians.  I hope all members of the Liberal Party support his stance.

I'm disappointed in Mick Dodson's (sp?) comments that as long as he has breath (or words to that effect) he'll be fighting for compensation because that's the only way there can be closure.  I find that really sad and quite selfish.  Surely money spent on improving things for ALL Aboriginals in the future is better than it being spent on those who’ve suffered in the past.  Money will never heal that pain or dull the memories and it’s a pity Mick can’t accept the apology and embrace the promise of working towards a better future for his people.

I hope the speeches are available publicly because I’d like to listen again.

How do others feel about the history that was created when Kevin Rudd formally apologised  today?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Re: SORRY-A 5 letter word that's made history

Tigers of Old said:
Good luck in the courts Kev.

Did you hear the speech ToO? I don't think Kev said much, especially considering parliamentary privilege, that would give anyone wanting to sue a better chance of success than if he hadn't said sorry. It will be very interesting to see how things transpire.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

rosy23 said:
Did you hear the speech ToO?

Actually I haven't rosy. Is there somewhere I can hear it online?

You would hope it was worded very carefully because no doubt there will be some people looking to cash in.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm not sure if it's online anywhere yet. It would be great if anyone with a link could post it for us.

I don't think, from memory, that Kev mentioned compensation not being appropriate in his speech but Brendan did in his response.

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
I thought KR's speech was the finest I have heard from an Aust. PM. I thought he absolutely nailed the sentiment of the apology. There has obviously been a lot of consultation with indigenous groups.

I thought BN missed the point. Rather, it sounded like an attempt to appease the factions within his party. However kudos to him for accepting the offer of partisanship.

Why all the negative talk of compensation? If individuals deserve it, then they should get it. Of course there will be some who abuse it, but there are always individuals who do that.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Mr Pumblechook said:
Why all the negative talk of compensation? If individuals deserve it, then they should get it. Of course there will be some who abuse it, but there are always individuals who do that.

If they deserve it Mr.Pumblechook, then they should be able to get compensation for the evidence and facts surrounding the event.......not having to rely on a phoney apology to get it.

Tigers of Old said:
Actually I haven't rosy. Is there somewhere I can hear it online?
You would hope it was worded very carefully because no doubt there will be some people looking to cash in.

Rudd's words:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23202612-5013172,00.html

Nelson's words:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au//story/0,25197,23206522-5013172,00.html

dukeos

Tiger Rookie
Jun 15, 2004

rosy23 said:
Did you hear the speech ToO? I don't think Kev said much, especially considering parliamentary privilege, that would give anyone wanting to sue a better chance of success than if he hadn't said sorry. It will be very interesting to see how things transpire.

I think Paliamentary Privlege will be out the door when Kev utters the "s" word, or to that affect, outside parliament.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
The debate over this could last forever.I know it's a very sensitive topic & words should be chosen carefully when stating your opinion.The first thing people should understand is that...yes there are White people exactly the same as the Indigenous people that abuse privelages given to them.I see this every day in my line of work in which i have met some lovely Aboriginal people who have not only been customers,but have become very good friends.You can talk about the Stolen generation as much as you like,but when you see first hand Aboriginal adults sniiffing petrol & drinking themselves into oblivion in font of their children in your own community you really do feel these young children and what will become of them.It's heartbreaking to the extreme and i do mean EXTREME!! These children should not be experiencing this.It's alright to say sorry this & that and have people believe what your saying,but get up off your arse & come and witness these atrocities in the face.Then you may have a different point of view!!

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
I'm disappointed in Mick Dodson's (sp?) comments that as long as he has breath (or words to that effect) he'll be fighting for compensation because that's the only way there can be closure. I find that really sad and quite selfish. Surely money spent on improving things for ALL Aboriginals in the future is better than it being spent on those who’ve suffered in the past. Money will never heal that pain or dull the memories and it’s a pity Mick can’t accept the apology and embrace the promise of working towards a better future for his people.

Rosy,
What did you think all this 'sorry' stuff was about...so everyone would feel good and move on?
Mick Dodson and many others will use this day as leverage for the many costly lawyer fees and court costs that we will see in the near future.
Remember, the slogan is "Sorry is the first step".
The second step is:
istockphoto_1869859_show_me_the_money.jpg

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
tigerdave said:
The debate over this could last forever.I know it's a very sensitive topic & words should be chosen carefully when stating your opinion.The first thing people should understand is that...yes there are White people exactly the same as the Indigenous people that abuse privelages given to them.I see this every day in my line of work in which i have met some lovely Aboriginal people who have not only been customers,but have become very good friends.You can talk about the Stolen generation as much as you like,but when you see first hand Aboriginal adults sniiffing petrol & drinking themselves into oblivion in font of their children in your own community you really do feel these young children and what will become of them.It's heartbreaking to the extreme and i do mean EXTREME!! These children should not be experiencing this.It's alright to say sorry this & that and have people believe what your saying,but get up off your arse & come and witness these atrocities in the face.Then you may have a different point of view!!

:clap :clap
Exactly!
I posted an article on the 'racial tolerance' thread about 20 minutes ago from The Australian.
Summed it up and pretty much what you are saying:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23203981-7583,00.html

For Rudd to have 'sorry' as the first and foremost thing on the agenda of his new parliament makes a mockery of far more important issues out there that he should be dealing with.

Aboriginal kids sniffing petrol NOW....kids being molested NOW...people sitting around drinking all day NOW....how is Rudd saying 'sorry' going to make all this go away?
It isn't.

Great apology....great to kiss a bit of butt and great for all the Kevin07 t-shirt wearing fools out there....but the reality is, the only thing this 'sorry' has achieved is a window of opportunity for a small percentage of a minority group to take this country to the cleaners financially.
I wonder who will say sorry to me and the other 99.9% of the population when that happens?

tigerdave

Feb 1, 2006
Liverpool said:
:clap :clap
Exactly!
I posted an article on the 'racial tolerance' thread about 20 minutes ago from The Australian.
Summed it up and pretty much what you are saying.

For Rudd to have 'sorry' as the first and foremost thing on the agenda of his new parliament makes a mockery of far more important issues out there that he should be dealing with.

Aboriginal kids sniffing petrol NOW....kids being molested NOW...people sitting around drinking all day NOW....how is Rudd saying 'sorry' going to make all this go away?
It isn't.

Great apology....great to kiss a bit of butt and great for all the Kevin07 t-shirt wearing fools out there....but the reality is, the only thing this 'sorry' has achieved is a window of opportunity for a small percentage of a minority group to take this country to the cleaners financially.
I wonder who will say sorry to me and the other 99.9% of the population when that happens?

Spot on Livers,The only outcome from this will be more money & more abuse!!

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
tigerdave said:
Spot on Livers,The only outcome from this will be more money & more abuse!!

On what is possibly one of the most significant days in the nations history, I find unqualified comments like this remarkably depressing.

tigerdave

Feb 1, 2006
Mr Pumblechook said:
On what is possibly one of the most significant days in the nations history, I find unqualified comments like this remarkably depressing.

Come out here & i'll show you exactly what i mean! It's an absolute mess & can guarentee there will be no resolve!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Mr Pumblechook said:

I would hope what Rudd said would change things for the better for Aboriginal community in the long term.
However whether it will have any effect whatsoever remains to be seen.
dave is right it's an absolute mess right now.

The monkey of 'sorry' is now off the Aboriginals back.
It's up to them now to try to move forward.

MCG

Tiger Rookie
Aug 11, 2003
Congratulations to Kevin Rudd and the Australian Parliament on a great day. Can't believe some of the sentiments expressed here. Of course conditions in the aboriginal communities today are generally appalling but if you happened to actually listen to the speeches, today was an important step in a new beginning for aborigines. A bipartisan, consultative approach to improving conditions for aborigines is surely a worthwhile outcome from today's apology.

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
tigerdave said:
Come out here & i'll show you exactly what i mean! It's an absolute mess & can guarentee there will be no resolve!

I'm not unfamiliar with problems in indigenous communities. Nor is the government, but most importantly, nor are the many representatives of indigenous communities who stood up and applauded the PM,s apology. Would they generously applaud him if, as you suggest, "the only outcome... more abuse".

Do you know better than they?

I'm not suggesting you haven't evidenced horrific circumstances amongst indigenous communities, however the link between the apology and more abuse is little more than fictitious speculation, based presumably on a preconceived bias - however developed.