SORRY-A 5 letter word thats made history | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

SORRY-A 5 letter word thats made history

How do you think Kevin's apology went today?

• Kev did Australia proud.

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Should never have said sorry.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Needed saying but could have worded it better.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Nope, my proof is that I told you all that 'sorry' was about compo and all of a sudden we have a glut of compo-seekers now, because Rudd said sorry.
Gee, what a surprise...but I told you so!

Just because they are seeking don't mean they will get it.

Scaremongers like you drive me nuts.

Last year I was hearing about all the millions in court cases that were going to make Mattell go bankrupt because of the lead in toys issue. Jack has happened because those trying to put together a case lack proof of harm.

Petrol companies openly collude, but repeated ACCC cases have failed all on the burden of proof.

To win court cases you need proof. No proof, no evidence, no case.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
Just because they are seeking don't mean they will get it.
Scaremongers like you drive me nuts.
Last year I was hearing about all the millions in court cases that were going to make Mattell go bankrupt because of the lead in toys issue. Jack has happened because those trying to put together a case lack proof of harm.
Petrol companies openly collude, but repeated ACCC cases have failed all on the burden of proof.
To win court cases you need proof. No proof, no evidence, no case.

That's funny Tiger74....I was called a "scare monger" when I said that the whole 'sorry' saga was about compo and that we would see a run of compo-seekers. It seems I may not be far wrong.

I do agree with you that to win court cases you need proof, evidence, and facts.
This is what the compo-seekers of the 'stolen generation' have lacked in the past and why we did not see a run of compo-seekers in court.

Now, these compo-seekers still have the same lack of evidence, proof, and facts to win a case if the judge was only looking at this, BUT...the difference now is that the Government have said 'sorry' and lawyers feel that this is enough (along with some flimsy evidence) to change the court's mind on such matters.

That is the whole crux of what I am on about.....if there was no "sorry" there was no case at all.
Now we have "sorry" and we have more cases ready to go to poke a stick at.

We'll see if my scare-mongering is right again or not....as the $$$ are handed out one by one, eh? ;)

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Now, these compo-seekers still have the same lack of evidence, proof, and facts to win a case if the judge was only looking at this, BUT...the difference now is that the Government have said 'sorry' and lawyers feel that this is enough (along with some flimsy evidence) to change the court's mind on such matters.

Who have they said sorry about though? Fred, Bob, Mary, Jane? As I said before, just because I say "yes I steal cars" doesn't mean I can get convicted for stealing your car. You have to prove I specifically stole your car.

Personally I will be stunned if more than 50 cases get up

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
There are tables set up in Bourke Street mall with people bellowing at passers by to sign their petition to get as much compensation for Aboriginals as possible.

They weren't getting too many sign, in fact they were really rubbing people up wrong. I asked a particularly forceful person a few questions. He told me a report has found almost every Aboriginal in Australia has been affected in some way in regard to the stolen generation. He wants every single one of them to get "massive" compensation.

I asked about the neglect and abuse of children and how he thinks that should be addressed and wouldn't that be a higher priority than compensation for every single Indigenous Australian and his reply was that the abuse, poverty, lack of education, alcohol problems etc are a beat up and aren't really a problem. He said they're far worse issues with white Australians.

He said the Aboriginals have the problem they do (I think that's the problems he denied) because they've been stripped of their dignity and becoming rich through compensation would rectify that.

I found it interesting that the 15-20 people there soliciting signatures all appeared to be white and asked him his interest and a bit about Aboriginal history. His reply was he is from a European background and didn't know what much about the history but it was basic human rights. I would have loved to talk to an Aboriginal person and ask their opinions.

There were also pamphlets for upcoming protests etc in regard to various different causes. Personally I think the rent-a-protest crowd tend to do their causes a bit of harm. If they feel strongly enough they should at least know some history, facts and solutions in relation to the cause they're campaigning against.

I couldn't help thinking of Livers yesterday as they were trying to get some money from me to help their cause(s). :hihi

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
There were also pamphlets for upcoming protests etc in regard to various different causes. Personally I think the rent-a-protest crowd tend to do their causes a bit of harm. If they feel strongly enough they should at least know some history, facts and solutions in relation to the cause they're campaigning against.
I couldn't help thinking of Livers yesterday as they were trying to get some money from me to help their cause(s). :hihi

Thanks for sharing your experiences Rosy.

These people wouldn't last 2 seconds if they started hassling me to aid their fraudulent claims... :hihi

Seriously though, I think people like this also do more harm than good.
Many of these people don't look at facts analytically and don't treat the situation based on evidence...they are too consumed by rebelling against the Government in favour of a minority group, whether the facts/evidence point to it as a myth or not. Of course, anyone who ignores this moralistic view and decides to look at the evidence before making a decision is cast aside as the compassionless, cold-hearted racist that they are... :-\

These believers of nonsense are too naive and willing to simply accept first-hand 'experiences' as gospel....such stories that wouldn't hold up in court of law and have no proof to back them up. It is a person's hard-luck story and that is it...yet people like the ones you met want the Government and the tax-paying public to hand over millions of $$$ based on some 'stories'.

Like many leftist propaganda scenarios....it isn't the minority group themselves out in the street trying to coerce people to go along in their gullible ways.
You only need to look at the "political correctness" thread where there are many examples of people who have no relationship to the minority group making rules and laws with the intention of protecting a minority group....a minority group who has not asked to be protected in the first place!
All this does is cause tension between the mainstream and the minority group, all thanks to a group of poltical correct fools, who may have good intentions, but in the end cause more harm than good.

It is the same with the people trying to gain compo for the so-called 'stolen generation'....they think they are doing the right thing but compo isn't going to change the direction of the Aboriginal race....if anything, handing over more compo and money will make them even feel more like the victim in this society.
Being a victim is something the Aboriginal race is very good at with no thanks to prior Governments, both ALP and Liberal, over many years....and if Rudd wants to leave a positive legacy of his Government regarding the Aborigines, well it isn't "sorry" and the compo cases coming up....it will be if he can enforce equality across the board and include Aborigines in with every other Australian, and with that I mean enforcing rules, laws, and welfare equally...not based on history, culture, religion, or race.

Changing the behaviour of a race is what will improve the direction of the Aboriginal race now and into the future, for the long term......NOT short-sighted phoney apologies and payouts to a minority of a minority group.
But try telling that to the suckers on the corner of Bourke Street.... :-\

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Liverpool said:
Thanks for sharing your experiences Rosy.

These people wouldn't last 2 seconds if they started hassling me to aid their fraudulent claims... :hihi

Seriously though, I think people like this also do more harm than good.
Many of these people don't look at facts analytically and don't treat the situation based on evidence...they are too consumed by rebelling against the Government in favour of a minority group, whether the facts/evidence point to it as a myth or not. Of course, anyone who ignores this moralistic view and decides to look at the evidence before making a decision is cast aside as the compassionless, cold-hearted racist that they are... :-\

These believers of nonsense are too naive and willing to simply accept first-hand 'experiences' as gospel....such stories that wouldn't hold up in court of law and have no proof to back them up. It is a person's hard-luck story and that is it...yet people like the ones you met want the Government and the tax-paying public to hand over millions of $$$ based on some 'stories'.

Like many leftist propaganda scenarios....it isn't the minority group themselves out in the street trying to coerce people to go along in their gullible ways.
You only need to look at the "political correctness" thread where there are many examples of people who have no relationship to the minority group making rules and laws with the intention of protecting a minority group....a minority group who has not asked to be protected in the first place!
All this does is cause tension between the mainstream and the minority group, all thanks to a group of poltical correct fools, who may have good intentions, but in the end cause more harm than good.

It is the same with the people trying to gain compo for the so-called 'stolen generation'....they think they are doing the right thing but compo isn't going to change the direction of the Aboriginal race....if anything, handing over more compo and money will make them even feel more like the victim in this society.
Being a victim is something the Aboriginal race is very good at with no thanks to prior Governments, both ALP and Liberal, over many years....and if Rudd wants to leave a positive legacy of his Government regarding the Aborigines, well it isn't "sorry" and the compo cases coming up....it will be if he can enforce equality across the board and include Aborigines in with every other Australian, and with that I mean enforcing rules, laws, and welfare equally...not based on history, culture, religion, or race.

Changing the behaviour of a race is what will improve the direction of the Aboriginal race now and into the future, for the long term......NOT short-sighted phoney apologies and payouts to a minority of a minority group.
But try telling that to the suckers on the corner of Bourke Street.... :-\

Another quality year 9 essay from Livers. I'll give this one a C+ - strong on opinion, unfortunately not evidence-based and weak analytically.

You certainly know how to type though.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Totally agree 100% with the bold bit:

Apology was a mistake, says feisty Howard
March 12, 2008
FORMER prime minister John Howard has defended his decision not to say sorry to Australia's Aborigines during his 11 years in power and criticised the Rudd Government's apology to the stolen generations.
In a take-no-prisoners question and answer session with students at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard, Mr Howard said he did not believe that one generation could apologise for the actions of another, and, anyway, some children had been removed from their parents for good reason and others were given up voluntarily.
"I do not believe as a matter of principle that one generation can accept responsibility for the acts of earlier generation," he said. "In some cases, children were wrongly removed, in other cases they were removed for good reason, in other cases they were given up and in other cases, the judgement on the removal is obscure or difficult to make."
He said his view was shared by Noel Pearson of the Cape York Indigenous Council — a man whom he regarded as "the voice of contemporary indigenous Australia more than anybody else".
Mr Howard warned that an apology also ran the risk of people thinking they had now "ticked the box" on action to redress the problems of indigenous Australia, which he said included unacceptably high mortality compared to whites.
He also turned to what he said was the "broader issue": 20 or 30 years of failed policies in relation to indigenous affairs.

"I think we persevered for too long with the notion of separate development. I think the only way the indigenous people of Australia can get what we call a 'fair go' is for them to become part of the mainstream of the community and get the benefits and opportunities available from mainstream Australian society, whilst recognising … the particular and special place of the indigenous culture in the life of the country," he said.

Mr Howard also rejected suggestions from a questioner that this issue and his refusal to sign Kyoto had cost the Coalition the election. "The first lesson I learned is you win some, you lose some," a defiant Mr Howard said of the lessons learned from the defeat. "I did have the opportunity of winning four elections."
Opposition indigenous affairs spokesman Tony Abbott said last night that Mr Howard was "absolutely right" to defend his record. But he said this should not be read as criticism of the Coalition's eventual support for the apology.
"When we were in government we could decide whether an apology happened or not, but in opposition all we could decide was an attitude to an apology which was ultimately in the hands of others," he told The Age. "My own view was if an apology was going to happen anyway why not make the most of the situation and at the very least not rain on the parade."
Helen Moran, the co-chair of the National Sorry Day Committee, said Mr Howard's comments were a sad "echo of the past".
She also challenged Mr Howard's description of Mr Pearson, saying the action of thousands of Aboriginal people in travelling to Canberra for the apology "speak much louder than Noel Pearson's words".
"It was bigger than the Melbourne Cup," she said. "I think contemporary indigenous Australia clearly made their stand."
Mr Howard, asked how he had changed Australia, said he had ended the "pointless debate about our identity" and engendered "a rather positive view about Australian history and Australian achievement".
"I think our sense of national pride is stronger now than it was in the 1990s, less ambiguous and that's tremendously important."

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Getting Aboriginal children into school and getting an education is Number 1 priority!!!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Liverpool said:
Totally agree 100% with the bold bit:
Apology was a mistake, says feisty Howard
whilst recognising … the particular and special place of the indigenous culture in the life of the country," he said.

Cleary racist by your own definitions.