Stans Alves opinion on Richo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stans Alves opinion on Richo

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
On 3LO Stan Alves was commenting on Richo running around looking for kicks around the ground, even in the defensive 50.

His opinion is that Spud is trying to find a position for Richo, rather than educate Richo to play in the position he's there for.

He thinks Richo should be in the forward line and given a key to lead in to, and ordered not to lead anywhere the pockets.

What do others think of that opinion? I see a couple the early voters have given points to Richo. I wouldn't give him any today. Trying isn't enough for me to give votes. He is paid massive money to kick goals.

We had 7 individual single goal kickers today and Richo marking on the back line. I agree with Stan. Richo's around the ground posessions don't do enough for the team imo. We need a goal kicker.

Other opinions?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Re:Stans Alve's opinion on Richo

I just heard Danny's press conference.

He said the effort was there.

We only got 2 goals from our starting forward line.

Only 7 goals disappointing, but we'll keep working at it.

He needs to find someone in the next couple of weeks to stand up and kick a few goals.

Has he lost faith in Richo's ability to kick goals for us?

GoldCoastTiger

Where do we go from here?
Aug 15, 2003
Gold Coast

When Richo was younger and before injuries put him on traintracks.. i thought he would be a good winger.. difefrent to most.. but he CAN RUN like forrest gump... keeps going and going.. hes too old and not nimble enough these days.. but id prob put him at CHF.. we havent had one of them for 20 years.. all good teams have a dominant CHF or FF.. cant do without one...

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine

Agreed, rosy, as long as Richo's at Richmond (and receiving good money) he should be kicking goals. I don't think he should come out any further than HF line.
Seven individual goal kickers, eh? No further comment.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com

Yeah Rosy I think Iwould have to agree with most of that.

I had the same thoughts on giving votes to Richo, but then he is obviously playing as he has been instructed, so we can't hold him responsible for doing that.

I agree he is better value kicking goals, but surely if Spud wants to run him up the ground he must have a strategy for the forward line to counter this. Looking at todays scoreboard, I'd say not.

The other thing mentioned on MMM was that it was almost impossible for the crumbers such as Krakeour, McGrath and Rodan to have any idea where to go when obviously no one knows where they are supposed to kick into the forward line.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com

rosy3 said:
I just heard Danny's press conference.

We only got 2 goals from our starting forward line.

Only 7 goals disappointing, but we'll keep working at it.

He needs to find someone in the next couple of weeks to stand up and kick a few goals.

Has he lost faith in Richo's ability to kick goals for us?

Congratulations SPUD. Robert WALLS identified these very issues at the start of the season, but it has only dawned on Spud now.

Someone send him a subscription to The Age.

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
i reckon ottens did really well today, bad luck with his kicking, but hey at least he managed to mark it in the forward 50.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I think Richo should be played at CHF with Ottens, Holland or Stafford at Full Forward.

At CHF, Richo would have all the space in the world to run into and it would mean he is one kick closer to the play.

At Full Forward, opposition sides have worked out how to crowd him and to cut off his space. This would be almost impossible to do for opposition clubs if Richo is playing at CHF. His kicking is also very suspect and he doesn't hurt opposition clubs on the scoreboard, having a tendency to freeze in front of goals. Playing at CHF would relieve him of this pressure somewhat. Ottens, Holland and Stafford on the other hand are all excellent shots at goal and with Richo at CHF would have more opportunities to use their accurate kicking skills.

You look at all the great full forwards - Lockett, Dunstall, Roach, Lloyd - They were all very accurate kicks for goal.

Richo like David Cloke in his prime is not. Put him out to CHF and he will be very difficult to stop.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
CHF was where Richo played his best football.

If they implemented a bit of Pagans Paddock and played him in the typical Carey CHF positions he would be very hard to stop.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Young Tiger said:
At Full Forward, opposition sides have worked out how to crowd him and to cut off his space.

Why doesn't the same thing apply to someone like Lloyd too?

In a lot of ways I don't think Richo has a real footy brain. He relies more on his exuberance than his thinking.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Because Richmond take too long getting the ball into their forward line giving opposition players a chance to flood back and crowd his space. Also the delivery of the Richmond midfield is almost always far insuperior to that of Essendon in the first half today.

vladz

Take us forward!
Jul 20, 2003
Canterbury
its true, they have to muck around with the ball first, loose it, get a goal from the opposition, then kick it in there, loose and get another goal from the opposition...

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
We also contribute to the problem with some of the other forwards taking their oponent to the contest.

That is why a set up like Pagans paddock would benefit a player like Richo

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Richo's best position is on a HFF although I don't mind seeing Richo play as a ruck rover now and then during a match if it creates an advantageous mismatch.

It was mentioned on 3AW that Richmond at training should mark out a 20x20 square around 20-25m directly in front of the goals and drill the players into kicking to the hot spot where if the talls don't mark at least the likes of Rodan, Krakouer and McGrath know where the ball in heading for to get front and square for the crumbs. A bit old-fashioned IMO but at least it's better than leading and kicking to the pockets as we do now ::). Problem is from what we see on matchday it doesn't appear that doing modern ball movement drills at training is part of Danny's coaching technique.

Until we get a coaching staff that will drill our players over and over again in 21st century strategies over the whole park such as setting up runners from behind and to the side of marking targets for handball receives to break the lines and enable quick movement of the ball via foot into a open forward line, it won't matter which tall is playing FF. Having Stafford, Otto and Holland all in there at once is just plain ridiculous ??? .

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Well I didn't see yesterday's game so I can't comment there. However, if the media and the supporters on PRE can see that Richo is playing in the wrong position, surely the coaching staff must be able to see that. IMO the coaching staff need to be shot for the lack of training goal-wise our players get, not to mention the lack of confidence that Richo is displaying. Something is definitely wrong down at Punt Road. :mad:

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
young tiger is right, Richmond take to long to get the ball in the 50m with there rubbish game plan.

And after we kicked around the boundry and it evebtually gets in there, RICHO has 2/3 opponents, they still kick it to him, he gets spoiled and gets the blame from all supporters from our and other clubs.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
mightytiges said:
It was mentioned on 3AW that Richmond at training should mark out a 20x20 square around 20-25m directly in front of the goals and drill the players into kicking to the hot spot where if the talls don't mark at least the likes of Rodan, Krakouer and McGrath know where the ball in heading for to get front and square for the crumbs.

Funnily enough MMM said the same thing basically in that it is almost impossible for the likes of Krak, McGrath and Rodan to anticipate where the fall of the ball will be when they have no system on how they deliver the ball into the forward line. Basically said they have no idea where to be when no one knows where or how the ball will be delivered.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
julzqld said:
Well I didn't see yesterday's game so I can't comment there. However, if the media and the supporters on PRE can see that Richo is playing in the wrong position, surely the coaching staff must be able to see that. IMO the coaching staff need to be shot for the lack of training goal-wise our players get, not to mention the lack of confidence that Richo is displaying. Something is definitely wrong down at Punt Road. :mad:
yeah there is something wrong its a lack of talent and a totally incompetent football dept

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
rosy3 said:
His opinion is that Spud is trying to find a position for Richo, rather than educate Richo to play in the position he's there for.

He thinks Richo should be in the forward line and given a key to lead in to, and ordered not to lead anywhere the pockets.

For too many years, this footy Club has been too busy holding players' hands to ever allow them to think for themselves and therefore make any real impact on a game.

With that in mind, we should forget the notion that Richo is ever going to lead us to the promised land and focus on building a team from the bottom up. He can be a valuable player and in a good team would show his true value and ability.

Richo is still Richo, whether he's at FF or up the ground. And, especially against the better teams, I can't see the 'up the ground' thing working.

Richo's problems all seem to start the instant he thinks. This only seems gets him into trouble when he does. You just know that when he takes possession of the ball that if he doesn't dispose of it with his first thought that he's gonna get tackled or somehow lose possession.

The fact he is in a 'team' where players around the play rarely seem to help their teammates out by talking to them or helping them with their decision making, especially in pressure situations, doesn't help either.

But perhaps that's another story altogether.

ComedyCapers

I'm a llama!
Aug 13, 2003
Canberra
It's strange how it all seems to coincide. When we look at Fiora we see Pavlich however when I look at Pavlich I see what Richo with a football brain would be like.
100kgs, great aerobic capacity, takes a grab and can kick a goal.
Any mug can play loose across HB and get soft kicks but unless they generate drive (quarterback if you like) they are just stats.
Richo has no trouble getting the pigskin it is what he does then that is the worry.
Loose across HF with a licence to roam is his position IMH.