State Government | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State Government

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
spook said:
No, it's not always the case, but it certainly is now. I can't think of a single person I would describe as gifted or even highly intelligent in the federal parliamentary Liberal Party. They have no talent.

I disagree. I reckon a few of the libs are probably quite smart, and even if i disagree with their views there are a few that are balanced and can argue their point well. but once they enter politics they get stuck arguing the party line, sticking to talking points, or trying to blame others. it is similar with Labor.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
No doubt more than a few are 'quite smart', Brodders. Massive difference between that and highly intelligent. If Scummo's the best they can come up with, they're up *smile* Creek.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
Posters talk about engaging in criminal behaviour when most do it. Most judge govts, corporations to different standards than themselves. Many want either govt to provide them with income or business to give them a job. Many think nothing of the risks businesses take.

No real point other than if you analyse your own behaviour it wouldn’t be much different to the organisations you decry. Just the scale is different.

Speak for yourself. Yes I do expect large and very profitable corporations to pay their bloody taxes, I also expect them to not charge dead people for services, to pay decent wages, etc etc. I also expect them to be arrested and charged when they break the laws (Banks, fraud, admitted at a Royal Commission, where are the charges, wtf are we waiting for, they committed fraud but we can't charge them apparently, why not?).

As for my own taxes, I work, I pay taxes, I get public services. I have maybe 3 deductions on my tax, I have no problem paying my fair share of tax and don't bother with a tax accountant - I earn money I pay tax, grossly irresponsible to avoid or evade tax.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So Bolt reckons the result shows the Libs aren't hard right enough? He can't honestly believe that.

The fact he's a Richmond supporter shows he has some sense.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Baloo said:
So Bolt reckons the result shows the Libs aren't hard right enough? He can't honestly believe that.

He's not correct, he's just feathering his own nest, but he does speak to a wider problem for the both major parties. The Libs go right they lose the moderates, they go centre they lose the right. Labor have the same problem. Our whole system is set up for 2 parties, and there is now high diversity of views as well as the old 2 party lines.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
spook said:
No, it's not always the case, but it certainly is now. I can't think of a single person I would describe as gifted or even highly intelligent in the federal parliamentary Liberal Party. They have no talent. And to disagree with snake, it's not an indictment on the system, it's an indictment on the cynical, nasty, lazy, negative, greedy, short-sighted, opportunistic, dog-whistling imagination-free appeal to the worst in people the Libs have undertaken ever since Howard. Why would anyone with a brain and a heart who lent to the right associate themselves with a pack of such dopey cowards, beholden to their masters Murdoch and the miners?

Where is the small 'L' in Liberal? Where is the encouragement of innovation and entrepreneurialism they are supposed to stand for? All they stand for is established wealth. Their idea of wealth creation for the average man is to ride the housing bubble. They are bereft of talent, devoid of principles, lacking entirely in courage or vision, and are right where they deserve to be. The Carlton Football Club of politics.

Fair enough spook, I was letting them off the hook. But I disagree with you on éver since Howard', Howard is the architect of the current jack boots approach. He systematically got rid of all the wets.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
tigersnake said:
He's not correct, he's just feathering his own nest, but he does speak to a wider problem for the both major parties. The Libs go right they lose the moderates, they go centre they lose the right. Labor have the same problem. Our whole system is set up for 2 parties, and there is now high diversity of views as well as the old 2 party lines.

The swing voters live in the middle. The numbers needed to win are there

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Baloo said:

Apart from supporting Richmond, Bolt’s an idiot. What does he think; the Libs are not far enough to the right so all those hard core right wingers voted for Labor?

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Ridley said:
Apart from supporting Richmond, Bolt’s an idiot. What does he think; the Libs are not far enough to the right so all those hard core right wingers voted for Labor?

Yeah like I said before that reasoning is insane.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
Fair enough spook, I was letting them off the hook. But I disagree with you on éver since Howard', Howard is the architect of the current jack boots approach. He systematically got rid of all the wets.
I am very much including Howard. As you say, he started it all.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
scottyturnerscurse said:
The numbers needed to win are in new voters and young people, currently and justifiably, hate the Libs.

Young people are brainwashed via the education system without even being aware of it. It's why Labor wants to lower the voting age. "New voters" who barely speak English understand that 'Labor' is Australian for 'welfare', while others resent the Liberals' attempts to wean people off middle class welfare.

Tax and spend is a winning policy... until the next Cain and Kirner come along to remind everyone of its flaws.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ridley said:

He's a relic like tony, dutton, andrews & abetz. Add in younger nutjobs like Christensen and Canavan and you've got a bunch of guys that isolate the vast majority.

I imagine most of those will end up joining with the biggest nutjob of all Cory Bernadi and creating another minority party.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
spook said:
I didn't watch any coverage, just followed it online, but I have since seen Pesutto speak after the ABC called that he would likely lose his seat, and he was most gracious and classy. He's ahead by a bee's *smile* at present - if he loses they need to find a way to keep him involved.

Agree on Q&A, haven't watched it for years.
I don’t watch Q & A either but it’s not because it’s biased, because it isn’t. I don’t watch it because there are so many politicians on it from all sides who just repeat their party line and it annoys me so much I can’t watch it

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
IanG said:
Rampant crime?

And power prices are more of a federal issue, plus who was it who sold our power infrastructure.....

When you restrict supply prices go up. Victorian government has banned supply development for onshore development of gas. Hardly surprising. .

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Ridley said:
Yeah seems that way. Removing level crossings has been a big success. A very good project. But I really don’t get the opposition to the East West Link. Anyone who travels around Melbourne knows we need another East West crossing. The Monash - West Gate is a joke. A city of 5 million plus and growing fast needs more than that.

Andrews’ West Gate tunnel is a joke. All it does is funnel traffic to the Tullamarine freeway / City Link. It has no impact on traffic travelling to the eastern and south eastern suburbs which still contains the largest portion of Melbourne’s population.

Level crossings funded by privatisation of port. Need to see how that plays out. Agree good sensible project in general though.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Most recent voters don't actually understand politics these days. To think the young voters are connected and aligned to a political ideology is news.com.au worthy.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Young people are brainwashed via the education system without even being aware of it. It's why Labor wants to lower the voting age.

Yeah, dunno. Private schools certainly favour the Libs over the ALP.

"New voters" who barely speak English understand that 'Labor' is Australian for 'welfare', while others resent the Liberals' attempts to wean people off middle class welfare.

What? Howard is the architect of modern day middle class welfare. He started the mess we're in now. Instead pulling back welfare from those in need to pacify his voters, he instead made handouts available, and now expected, by those that don't need it. Now that's it's in no Gov has the balls to pull it back because of the negative press that will go with it.

Tax and spend is a winning policy... until the next Cain and Kirner come along to remind everyone of its flaws.

Howard and Costello did just that during our massive resources boom years. Instead of holding some back or investing in decent infrastructure, they kept subsidising the building industry which skyrocketed prices which made everyone feel richer. Now we're up sh!t creek where the prospect of owning your own home if you don't already have a very tough thing to do.

Seriously, Left or Right, you're all the same but just coming from different vested interests.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Baloo said:
What? Howard is the architect of modern day middle class welfare. He started the mess we're in now. Instead pulling back welfare from those in need to pacify his voters, he instead made handouts available, and now expected, by those that don't need it. Now that's it's in no Gov has the balls to pull it back because of the negative press that will go with it.

"Bureau of Statistics data released on Wednesday show the majority of taxpayers with average incomes have had their government benefit boost reduced from $91 a week to $76 a week since 2010."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/middle-income-australians-losing-share-of-welfare-new-data-shows-20180620-p4zmmn.html