State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

Adam Marcon was one of the others (not the small forward). He won the medal for best under 23 player in the VFL.

Andy Collins also had a good team at coburg which helped. Has a great team at Willy, very strong team with a lot of players who could at the least fill depth roles at AFL clubs, with a few players who could really contribute at AFL clubs.

Willie Wheeler has been touted as a potential AFL player for a few years now. Probably worth a rookie chance.

Ridley said:
Andy Collins said on radio this morning that he has 4 guys at Williamstown that he believes are up to AFL standard. Gibbons was one, Willy Wheeler another but I can't remember the names of the other two (one was a small forward with blistering pace).

We'd do well to heed his advice; Andy Collins knows his stuff. Our VFL alliance with Coburg went very well when he was the coach; much better than any of the other coaches at Coburg and better than what is happening with our VFL side at the moment.
Andrew Galluci is the small forward with blistering pace. I've mentioned him earlier in this thread.

Ridley said:
Andy Collins said on radio this morning that he has 4 guys at Williamstown that he believes are up to AFL standard. Gibbons was one, Willy Wheeler another but I can't remember the names of the other two (one was a small forward with blistering pace).

We'd do well to heed his advice; Andy Collins knows his stuff. Our VFL alliance with Coburg went very well when he was the coach; much better than any of the other coaches at Coburg and better than what is happening with our VFL side at the moment.

Which players went on to play seniors for us from the Collins VFL Period? Honest question.

Wasn't that the time we also had 1 spot on the list, rookie I think, of a Coburg player every year ? Silvestre was another,

Ben Cavarra just won his 2n B&F in 2 years at Frankston. Surely worth a look at from a rookie point of view.

Tiger44 said:
Ben Cavarra just won his 2n B&F in 2 years at Frankston. Surely worth a look at from a rookie point of view.
Yeah, I've mentioned Ben before in this thread.

After hearing Dimma on the coaches box in Friday night leaves me thinking he's not a fan of VFL players ("you play in the VFL too long you become a VFL player" so I don't think we,ll be drafting too many VFL players (despite the success of Lambert)

antman said:
Which players went on to play seniors for us from the Collins VFL Period? Honest question.

Jack and Titch played under him in their first season. I think Jacko would have spent quite a bit of time at Coburg in that period. Someone else mentioned Jake King.

Coburg played a good style of footy when he coached and they made finals both years, including 2007 when beaten in the GF by a very strong Geelong side.

Collins and Alan Richardson (2001-2) were clearly the best coaches at Coburg in the time of the RFC affiliation.

Can't remember which other thread it was, but as per that thread, the Cassidy kid from Nth Ballarat sounds a potential gun and rookieable at minimum

CC TIGER said:
Shane Yarran had a very good game in the WAFL gf I read on FB

CC TIGER, skill wise he has all the attributes to be a jet, he won the WAFL goal kicking. He has got serious pace, takes a good grab and is a good kick.
The one query would be his willingness to handle the demands of AFL footy. He is coached by Jarrad Schofield who Dimma played with at Port Adelaide.
Pick up the phone Dimma and give your old teamate a call, he is exactly what we need.

tigerman said:
CC TIGER, skill wise he has all the attributes to be a jet, he won the WAFL goal kicking. He has got serious pace, takes a good grab and is a good kick.
The one query would be his willingness to handle the demands of AFL footy. He is coached by Jarrad Schofield who Dimma played with at Port Adelaide.
Pick up the phone Dimma and give your old teamate a call, he is exactly what we need.
Thanks Tigerman, be intresting to see if he gets a gig

Interesting article on AFL site about State League potential draftees.
Any WAFL watchers got an insight into Marlon Pickett? Sounds like a decent rookie option. WARNING: Summary includes use of the word X Factor

Prince Gwilliam said:
Interesting article on AFL site about State League potential draftees.
Any WAFL watchers got an insight into Marlon Pickett? Sounds like a decent rookie option. WARNING: Summary includes use of the word X Factor

And would certainly qualify as a big fish in just about anyone's language (expect those who spell it with an "i")!