State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
6 state league players chosen: Broad, Hartley, Menegola, Brown, Adams, Yarran.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
jb03 said:
Bet is on. Loser has to positively support all leysy's posts for 3 months.
Here's the post I was looking for! Good luck JB, you're gunna need it.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
jb03 said:
Been looking forward to it tim. Leysy has a lot of insightful things to say.
Yes, I have heard this.....

.....from Leysy himself....

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
jb03 said:
I think you have always been too tough on him. Can't knock a battler trying his best.
Well, you're a man of your word and you're off to a flier.

90 days to go.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
tigertim said:
6 state league players chosen: Broad, Hartley, Menegola, Brown, Adams, Yarran.

Correction, there were 10 SLR: also Sam Collins, Marcus Adams, Rupert Wills, Mackenzie Willis.

So 10 out of 70 (14%) selections were SLR.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:
Correction, there were 10 SLR: also Sam Collins, Marcus Adams, Rupert Wills, Mackenzie Willis.

So 10 out of 70 (14%) selections were SLR.

That's a pretty high number, usually they're left to the rookie draft, probably a good indicator of the depth of juniors.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
bullus_hit said:
That's a pretty high number, usually they're left to the rookie draft, probably a good indicator of the depth of juniors.

Yeah, I thought there'd be a lot of "passes" and expect to have another good % of SLRs in the rookie draft.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
And another batch of slr in today's rookie draft.

Tom Keogh, Adam Marcon, Paul Hunter, Jono Beech, Josh Saunders, Matt Uebergang, Andrew Gallucci, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Josh Smith, Ryan Savis, Tom Ruggles, Cameron Loersch, Josh Deluca.

13/62 = 21% from state leagues.

17/62 (27%) were relisted AFL players.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
I wonder with all the back lash about our poor recruiting will the club ignore state league players come the end of the year?

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I reckon if they're a delisted AFL players who's gone back and just performed really well at the next level below, no skip them.

If they've never played an AFL game though, go for it, assuming they've won a b&f at their club or for the Comp

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
tigertim said:
I wonder with all the back lash about our poor recruiting will the club ignore state league players come the end of the year?

I don't think the state league recruiting is the issue at all. We should be well prepared to use a late draft pick or rookie pick on a well performed state league player who has never been given a crack at the top level. Maybe he wasn't mature enough or ready as an 18-19 year old. There are plenty of examples of state league players who can make a reasonable fist of it in the AFL if given the opportunity. Michael Barlow, Sam Gibson, Michael Hibberd straight off the top. We had Jake King and now Lambert and Lloyd are going OK.

It's the recruitment of proven failures at AFL level that gives everyone the *smile*. In the last 3 years alone Hampson, Hunt, Moore and Townsend. The exposed form was there for all to see but the recruiting gurus at the RFC thought they knew better.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
tigertim said:
Didn't we take a state league player last draft, Marcon? Also one the draft before, Lambert? What exactly are we ignoring?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:

I hope so. We need quality.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
TigerMasochist said:
Didn't we take a state league player last draft, Marcon? Also one the draft before, Lambert? What exactly are we ignoring?
Given our lack of depth, if Marcon keeps consistently being amongst the best two or three in the 2nds week in week out, he will get his shot this season, as did Lambert last season.