State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

nafe brown

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 22, 2014
Last night mature aged from SA Jack Hayes starred on debut, today mature aged from WA has kicked 5 goals on debut. The talent is there in the state league yet clubs continue trying kids from Ireland who just continually disapppoint.
X2 being saying this for year's!

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Last night mature aged from SA Jack Hayes starred on debut, today mature aged from WA has kicked 5 goals on debut. The talent is there in the state league yet clubs continue trying kids from Ireland who just continually disapppoint.

Yet we picked up Parker at the mid season draft last year, why didn't we try some of the others?

DS

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Absolutely hate wasting a cent or second on the Irish stuff

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
A few of us have banged this drum for years.

You only need to find one core footballer (not stars, players ranked 15-30) off your rookie list every year and things turn around quickly.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002

You only need to find one core footballer (not stars, players ranked 15-30) off your rookie list every year and things turn around quickly.
Agree.

We had a purple patch with our rookie selections around 2013-2015 (Soldo, Lambert, Castagna, Short to name a few) which amazingly coincided with us actually taking players in the rookie draft.

Lately, we’ve been redrafting delisted players via the rookie draft (has this ever worked for any club ever?) or just using it to shuffle players around for list management reasons.

So much of recruiting, particularly after the first and second rounds is just a sheer numbers game. You have to bring in players, try them out and move them on if they don’t show enough. Rinse and repeat. Instead we have held on to players for 4 years and more who are not even close to being in our best 25 players let alone starting 18. This needs to change.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Lamblett, Stacky, Faartsy, Parker, Mansell. Rookie or supplemental type picks. It's not that we ain't trying it's just not quite succeeding yet.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Sticky was under 18. We haven’t picked blokes who’ve dominated comps years on end enough.

When we have ( Lambert & Pickett) it’s worked. More please.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Thin pickings from the VFL with just 3 invitees for this years upcoming combine:

MATURE age trio Josh Chatfield, Mutaz El Nour and Bailey Van De Heuvel are among another 35 prospects to be invited to test at the AFL's state Draft Combines in October.

There will now be a total of 55 players hoping to impress at the state Combines in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia.

Chatfield has averaged 11 disposals and five marks a game for Footscray's VFL side, with two standout games against Gold Coast (four goals) and Geelong (three goals) coming earlier in the year.

El Nour has been on the radar of clubs as a mid-season rookie option in recent seasons after impressing for Richmond's VFL side as an intercept defender, while Van De Heuval is a 25-year-old key defender who has caught interest for Geelong's VFL side.

He shapes as a mature-ager clubs will consider, particularly given the dearth of key backs in the competition and demand for them to fill roles.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
I like El Nour, think he is worth a spot. If he was AFL listed he probably wouldve gotten a game with us this year

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I like El Nour, think he is worth a spot. If he was AFL listed he probably wouldve gotten a game with us this year
Huge fan of his. He is raw but plenty to work with. Would happily take him with a late pick.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Is 55 players going to State combines higher than normal?

I'm wondering whether the supposed weakness in the draft is seeing a stronger interest in state level

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The VFL highest goal kickers for 2023, not much to get excited about:

IMG_0231.jpeg

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
El Nour comments interesting.

I'd be interested to know if there is a side that has done better than us long term from state leagues. I'm all for it, but it has to be approached with extreme caution, its low percentage, and I think we do that. Lambo, Bakes, Broady, Pickett, Young, and more recently Tresize and Coultard, I understand there's a long way to go on the recent picks, but most were positive about the basis for picking them and early signs are positive.

I'd be surprised if there are any sides who 1. take more picks from the state leagues than we have, and 2. have had more success at it than we have. Even the 'fails' eg. Marcon and Aarts, haven't been that bad and most would agree they were worth a crack.

Overall I'd say we're well ahead of the game in regards to mining the state leagues vein.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Is 55 players going to State combines higher than normal?

I'm wondering whether the supposed weakness in the draft is seeing a stronger interest in state level
Maybe a bit, but not much. You could be right though. Personally I don't think so, but you could be. Covid interrupted development has thrown a big spanner in the works.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I'd be interested to know if there is a side that has done better than us long term from state leagues. I'm all for it, but it has to be approached with extreme caution, its low percentage, and I think we do that. Lambo, Bakes, Broady, Pickett, Young, and more recently Tresize and Coultard, I understand there's a long way to go on the recent picks, but most were positive about the basis for picking them and early signs are positive.

I'd be surprised if there are any sides who 1. take more picks from the state leagues than we have, and 2. have had more success at it than we have. Even the 'fails' eg. Marcon and Aarts, haven't been that bad and most would agree they were worth a crack.

Overall I'd say we're well ahead of the game in regards to mining the state leagues vein.

I agree, we've done well from stats leagues for some time now, and I expect us to add Yassine to our list this year. He seems perfect for us, a small forward with pace, who likes to tackle and knows where the goals are. His improvement this year has been rapid. If they think that trajectory can continue to move upwards, I think we might see him as a rookie signing this off-season.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

Add Bauer.

Yeah we've been good. We went away from it for a few years but glad we've started mining it again.

The genius that is Stephen Wells has also been very good at it. Under Mackie they are doing it less.

Tom Stewart, Tom Atkins, Brad Close (all in last years flag), Tim Kelly, Sam Menegola, Ryan Gardiner (now at dogs) off the top of Leysy's head.