State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Was reading an article yesterday about Gavin Wanganeen’s formative years, growing up in a housing commission home in Salisbury North, in Adelaide’s working class northern Suburbs.

It talked about how he got involved playing for Port Adelaide in his mid to late teens, because Port (obviously knowing the deprived dynamics not uncommon in the area) provided a club bus to pick up kids and take them to training at Alberton.

This is a question to people more intuitively in the know regarding SA footy. But how did kids in this area end up at Port? Was some of it zoned to Port?

I assumed all of the Elizabeth-Salisbury northern suburbs area was zoned to Centrals. Indeed, Michael O’loughlin grew up not far from Gavin Wanganeen and played for Centrals. Salisbury North is actually quite close to Centrals home ground at Elizabeth (I watched a couple of Centrals pre-season matches while spending a few months stationed at nearby RAAF Edinburgh in my late teens). Alberton is actually quite a drive away from the northern suburbs.

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Central Districts Harry Grant cleaning up awards in the SANFL. Not for us but a 22 year old,173 cm on baller, used to a GWS academy player. Will get a go at some AFL club in ‘24 you’d think.

And Hamish Brayshaw grabbed the Sandover medal in the WAFL. No chance of resurrecting his 1 game AFL career.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Got a touch of flu and spent a lot of the day on the couch watching the state league grand finals.
East Fremantle about to win the WAFL flag with a bit of a Tiger flavour as their side includes both Fraser Turner and Luke English. Turner has starred, always thought he showed a bit at vfl level.
Liam McJesus’ Glenelg were SANFL premiers as well

Reactions: 4 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Got a touch of flu and spent a lot of the day on the couch watching the state league grand finals.
East Fremantle about to win the WAFL flag with a bit of a Tiger flavour as their side includes both Fraser Turner and Luke English. Turner has starred, always thought he showed a bit at vfl level.
Mcbean was shithouse today

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

The WAFL Colts GF was a very interesting game. I am a Claremont man, but not sure I see the hype with Curtin. The Eagles apparently very keen, but I just don't see it. I am sure he will be a serviceable player at AFL level, but doesn't look a top 10 talent on what I have seen. Maybe as a defender?

Anyway, one of the most intense finishes to a GF you could imagine. Claremont put the cue in the rack about halfway through the third Qtr. Seriously, and that is no understatement. From that point on they completely ignored what had put them in a commanding position in the first place, and with a scoreless final time nearly allowed Perth to steal it. The Tigers coach, Ashley Clancy (former Docker and Subi player) made a series of ultra-defensive moves, including throwing Curtin in to the back line. It was bizarre to say the least.

Perth on the other hand, well it was extremely painful to watch. They kicked 1.5 in the final term, and blew a ton of chances to score easy goals.

If we played the worst 2 minutes of football ever when we lost to GC that time with the Hunt goal after the siren, well Perth Colts managed the same level of ineptitude for a whole qtr. The lack of composure was incredible.

And even the umpires got in on the act. They wasted at least 3-4 minutes of game time with their weird officiating. In case people don't know, the clock does not stop in WAFL Colts games. I guess this is to make sure that the Senior grades start at the right time.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The WAFL Colts GF was a very interesting game. I am a Claremont man, but not sure I see the hype with Curtin. The Eagles apparently very keen, but I just don't see it. I am sure he will be a serviceable player at AFL level, but doesn't look a top 10 talent on what I have seen. Maybe as a defender?

Anyway, one of the most intense finishes to a GF you could imagine. Claremont put the cue in the rack about halfway through the third Qtr. Seriously, and that is no understatement. From that point on they completely ignored what had put them in a commanding position in the first place, and with a scoreless final time nearly allowed Perth to steal it. The Tigers coach, Ashley Clancy (former Docker and Subi player) made a series of ultra-defensive moves, including throwing Curtin in to the back line. It was bizarre to say the least.

Perth on the other hand, well it was extremely painful to watch. They kicked 1.5 in the final term, and blew a ton of chances to score easy goals.

If we played the worst 2 minutes of football ever when we lost to GC that time with the Hunt goal after the siren, well Perth Colts managed the same level of ineptitude for a whole qtr. The lack of composure was incredible.

And even the umpires got in on the act. They wasted at least 3-4 minutes of game time with their weird officiating. In case people don't know, the clock does not stop in WAFL Colts games. I guess this is to make sure that the Senior grades start at the right time.
I was there too, and a Claremont supporter. It was lucky that they play 25 minute quarters with no time on.
It was a good standard game, I was very impressed with both sides set shot goal kicking, very accurate, apart from Perth in the last quarter. I can't remember any around the corner shot at goals either.
Eagles player Drew Banfield's son looks a nice type, as is 17yo Hamish Davis who kicked 3 goals. He's listed at 189cm's but looked a bit taller than that, has not long turned 17 so will still have some growth in him.
O'Driscall and Watson from Perth went ok, it was an enjoyable day.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
watched vfl gf on tv.

Bit sad watching 20 full-time professionals probably on an average of $300k beat a very game bunch of Werribee plumbers and carpenters.

Shaun Mannagh was incredible - 28d 6 goals. He looked like tom papley. At 25 deserves a chance at the bigtime.

(Trigger warning for @Scoop ! Below contains information about footballers that dont attend Melbournes Halle Berry School for young Gentlemen and may disturb some readers)

16yo leo lombard GC is gonna be a real player - 12d 6 big tackles and a great goal. Im going to declare him a better prospect than jake rogers.

Not much else to get excited about for GC i dont reckon - predominately their huge journeyman forwardline (chol day burgess mclaughlan) turning a minus i50 diff into more goals.

Elijah hollands got 30d but this looks like his level to my eye.

Dimma will like and play bohdi ewlands i reckon.

Other than him and lombard, i dont see much future talent there

Sandy brock has dylan grimes elements, but a project

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
watched vfl gf on tv.

Bit sad watching 20 full-time professionals probably on an average of $300k beat a very game bunch of Werribee plumbers and carpenters.

Shaun Mannagh was incredible - 28d 6 goals. He looked like tom papley. At 25 deserves a chance at the bigtime.

(Trigger warning for @Scoop ! Below contains information about footballers that dont attend Melbournes Halle Berry School for young Gentlemen and may disturb some readers)

16yo leo lombard GC is gonna be a real player - 12d 6 big tackles and a great goal. Im going to declare him a better prospect than jake rogers.

Not much else to get excited about for GC i dont reckon - predominately their huge journeyman forwardline (chol day burgess mclaughlan) turning a minus i50 diff into more goals.

Other than him and lombard, i dont see much future talent their
The kid that kicked 6 will go in the top 25-35 picks

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The kid that kicked 6 will go in the top 25-35 picks

His not a kid, his 25 yo ex richmond vfl i think.

Great game but id think more rookie or ssp?

Id be happy if tigers took him - just what we need i reckon

Leo Lombard the kid looks top 10 in 2024 to me

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
His not a kid, his 25 yo ex richmond vfl i think.

Great game but id think more rookie or ssp?

Id be happy if tigers took him - just what we need i reckon

Leo Lombard the kid looks top 10 in 2024 to me
We signed him up with our Academy selection
Uncle step son rule Just like Collingwood and Quaynoor

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
watched vfl gf on tv.

Other than him and lombard, i dont see much future talent their
Reminds me of Chrissy Naish, same number too.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Shaun Mannagh turned 26 in August. It’s pretty uncommon for state league players getting drafted at this age but Marlion got his chance at 27, Jack Hayes at 26, Tsitas at 27. Mannagh kicked 40 goals this year, 22 last year. Has paid his state league dues with 73 games there. Good luck to him.

rombosghost

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 14, 2004
Apparently Fraser Turner played a ripper for East Freo. 37 touches. Luke English is a team mate of his.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
In the context of the modern footy landscape, some reasonable crowds attended the SANFL and WAFL grand finals. 33k at SANFL and 27k at WAFL. Perhaps swayed a bit by traditional large fanbases of Glenelg and East Fremantle respectively. Good to see.

Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In the context of the modern footy landscape, some reasonable crowds attended the SANFL and WAFL grand finals. 33k at SANFL and 27k at WAFL. Perhaps swayed a bit by traditional large fanbases of Glenelg and East Fremantle respectively. Good to see.

Yeah i went to a WAFL prelim last year at Claremont and couldnt believe the atmosphere - reminded me heaps of VFL footy at suburban grounds in the 80s.

Felt very real

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Turner was an unfortunate casualty of the Covid list cull when squad sizes were reduced. I always thought he looked a decent prospect. Where was he playing? On the wing or half back?