State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Apparently Fraser Turner played a ripper for East Freo. 37 touches. Luke English is a team mate of his.

Unlucky not to get the Simpson medal. But East Freo's midfield dominated, and Milan Murdock probably got the nod with a goal and 7 tackles, whereas Turner didn't lay a tackle and played a lot more outside the pack.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
He's a bit older but Mannagh's career reminds me of Kane Lambert. Dominant finals display. Lambert also looked over time and again for lack of explosiveness and other AFL attributes. What they both have is a strong work ethic to run up and down the ground. Does Mannagh have the smarts Lambert had though?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Shaun Mannagh turned 26 in August. It’s pretty uncommon for state league players getting drafted at this age but Marlion got his chance at 27, Jack Hayes at 26, Tsitas at 27. Mannagh kicked 40 goals this year, 22 last year. Has paid his state league dues with 73 games there. Good luck to him.
I heard he was in our VFL team few years ago but can't remember him at all.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Turner was an unfortunate casualty of the Covid list cull when squad sizes were reduced. I always thought he looked a decent prospect. Where was he playing? On the wing or half back?
He seemed to be rotating through both but he got most of his possessions between the arcs. I suspect more half back

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Why did we cut him off?
It’s always hard for the VFL listed players at an AFL club. I remember him at the time, thought he was meh but some guys need more time. I hope he gets a chance in 2024.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It’s always hard for the VFL listed players at an AFL club. I remember him at the time, thought he was meh but some guys need more time. I hope he gets a chance in 2024.
I suppose 26 is the mature age when you start to show your prime. Looked really good in yesterday's GF. We should go for him.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Definitely the case regarding East Freo.
So true. And I was a bit unfair on Sturt. Certainly in the golden years of SANFL footy of the 1960s-70s, Sturt were one of the bigger SANFL clubs. So plenty of legacy support from that. I often hear that Glenelg are one of the better followed SANFL clubs also. But unsure how they built up that following? Perhaps just really good, rusted on grass roots community support in the beachside suburbs of their local zone.

If you look at their list of honours, Glenelg certainly nowhere near the pedigree of heavyweights such as Port, Norwood, Sturt and North. In the post-Crows era, their honour board has also been surpassed by Centrals.

Last edited:

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Apparently Fraser Turner played a ripper for East Freo. 37 touches. Luke English is a team mate of his.
These two guys were showing a bit in the VFL in my opinion, but the death for them was Covid coming along in i think ther second year, and there basically being no VFL football.

Reactions: 2 users

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Turner was an unfortunate casualty of the Covid list cull when squad sizes were reduced. I always thought he looked a decent prospect. Where was he playing? On the wing or half back?
Turner was the youngest player in his draft as well. Only 17 when picked up.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Turner was the youngest player in his draft as well. Only 17 when picked up.
I'd much prefer to give him another chance if we can trade out Hugo. Get a pick and then rookie Turner, is a good option for us.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Connor Ballenden might be a possible rookie pick, whilst he hasn't set the world alight he's still only 24 and is an excellent shot on goal. He does look slightly out of shape, that would be my main concern, perhaps a few mobility issues.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Connor Ballenden might be a possible rookie pick, whilst he hasn't set the world alight he's still only 24 and is an excellent shot on goal. He does look slightly out of shape, that would be my main concern, perhaps a few mobility issues.
So he hasn’t done anything great, is 24, not fit and not mobile. Wow great catch

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
So he hasn’t done anything great, is 24, not fit and not mobile. Wow great catch
He was close to going in the mid season draft, there was some interest, he's a very accurate kick and a good contested mark. The athleticism maybe the concern but there's some crazy prices being placed on talls at the minute so he couldn't be that far off.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He was close to going in the mid season draft, there was some interest, he's a very accurate kick and a good contested mark. The athleticism maybe the concern but there's some crazy prices being placed on talls at the minute so he couldn't be that far off.
Top 5 players in VFL?
Top players in SANFL?
Top 5 players in WAFL?
I want to see how many get a chance in the AFL

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
He's a bit older but Mannagh's career reminds me of Kane Lambert. Dominant finals display. Lambert also looked over time and again for lack of explosiveness and other AFL attributes. What they both have is a strong work ethic to run up and down the ground. Does Mannagh have the smarts Lambert had though?
I’ll be *smile* why he ever left Richmond he’d honestly be on a list by now either ours or ess

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
SANFL B&F winners:
Adelaide: Jackson Hately
Centrals: Harry Grant
Glenelg: Corey Lyons
North Adelaide: Campbell Combe
Norwood: Nik Rokhar
Port Adelaide: Nick Moore
South Adelaide: Keegan Brooksby
Sturt: James Battersby
West Adelaide: Josh Ryan
Woodville West Torrens: James Rowe

Harry Grant a good chance of getting drafted. I reckon you could do worse than James Rowe as a small forward (as a rookie pick)