Steve Hocking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Hocking

The saddest part of the standing the mark rule is the obvious bias to asist a chip kick / keepings off style game plan Geelong employ.

Put simply, our aggressive manning of the mark, caused the opponent to kick over the man on the mark, meaning the ball hung in the air a bit longer allowing us to break the style down.

The media bangs on about what a great spectacle the game has become with this new rule. Well just listen to how supporters respond to a team trying to run the clock down in the last 5 minutes of a game, chipping it around playing keepings off. Thanks to Shocking, we now basically get 120 minutes of this rubbish.

Reactions: 11 users
The stand BS will be scrapped next year when they think we are ratshitt.

Tigers bring back the Chaos with a full refreshed and refocussed list and some new blood and talent and take the 2022 Flag and boil everyone's Pisss cos we are back.

Reactions: 1 user
The stand BS will be scrapped next year when they think we are ratshitt.

Tigers bring back the Chaos with a full refreshed and refocussed list and some new blood and talent and take the 2022 Flag and boil everyone's Pisss cos we are back.
Has there ever been a rule they've wound back apart from the Grigg rule allowing ruckment to grab the ball out of the ruck again?

The media bangs on about what a great spectacle the game has become with this new rule. Well just listen to how supporters respond to a team trying to run the clock down in the last 5 minutes of a game, chipping it around playing keepings off. Thanks to Shocking, we now basically get 120 minutes of this rubbish.
The sad thing for me is that I’ve heard mixed responses regarding the stand rule from footy fans I’ve spoken to.

Some seem to like the constant motion of the ball being chipped around more, which for me starts to look like a training run. And aren’t fazed about the resulting lack of pressure and potential for contests from turn overs that it removes.

With fans / supporters like that as part of the football going public, who knows what the game may end up looking like.

If they want higher scores then they should just remove 3 rows of seats from around all the grounds, 8 rows of seats at the SCG and knock the stands down at Kardinia park as they are currently sitting where the wings should be.

Reactions: 1 users
The other crazy thing about the standing the mark rule change is that teams playing the keepings off game, aren't the high scoring teams.

We didn't seem to have any problems scoring by blasting through opposition teams with chaotic ball movement. Though the stacking of 18 players in our forward line by the Pies in round 2 last year was a sign of what was to come with a lot of teams that year. It says a lot about your side when opposition teams completely change their game plan to cope with the rapid forwared movement of one team. Yet it is our game plan that gets attacked with these stupid rules.

Don't tell me this is for the spectacvle of the game!

Reactions: 10 users
It's not as though we were restricting the opposition unduly compared to other premiers.

YearClubAvg Agnst
2010Coll75.4
2011Geel73.6
2012Syd74.0
2013Haw84.5
2014Haw79.4
2015Haw70.4
2016W.B.73.1
2017Rich76.5
2018W.C.75.3
2019Rich75.6
2020Rich51.4*

Crazy thinking to expect scoring to improve by targeting one of the more prolific teams.

Has there ever been a rule they've wound back apart from the Grigg rule allowing ruckment to grab the ball out of the ruck again?
Hands on the back rule. Where even jut placing hands on an opponents back resulted in a free.

good thing about him going to GeeOld is I won't see his face as much and that will probably save the television

I find the AFLs whole premise offensive.

I personally don't need 20 goals kicked by the winning side to be exciting. It's the battle to score one, the effort and class of my team, that makes me cheer. Sure running around witches hats is fun once in a while, but I don't want it every week.

I'd much prefer a close game (from an excitement point of view) which is 80-75, than 120 - 100.

The other thing is, it's usually the bottom end of the table that struggles to kick scores, not the top end. The top end usually have a good midfield and decent to good forward line.

Expansion has diluted the talent level, so you end up with less class at the bottom and poorer skills etc as a result.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
the rule changes had nothing to do with the state of the game in terms of aesthetics and excitement

it had all to do with bringing down richmond

you reckon they'd bring in these rules if geelong won 3 of 4?

Reactions: 5 users
Heard an interview with Jake Lloyd and he was asked about Steve Hockings rule changes and he replied:

"Um, yeah, they've made the game more open and higher scoring"

I personally don't need 20 goals kicked by the winning side to be exciting. It's the battle to score one, the effort and class of my team, that makes me cheer. Sure running around witches hats is fun once in a while, but I don't want it every week.

I'd much prefer a close game (from an excitement point of view) which is 80-75, than 120 - 100.

Totally agree. I've been to 2 of our 3 games at Marvel this year (didn't go last week). 1 was the thrashing we gave the Saints, 1 was the low scoring game against the Giants. Guess which one had better and more enthralling footy?

The fallacy that the higher the score is the more exciting the game is. Have they never watched an NBA all-star game? Ridiculously high scoring and boring as hell.

You're missing the points gents and ladies. The object of higher scores has absolutely zero to do with a spectacle.
It's all about Harvey selling toxic TV's, NAB conning the punters out of coin, and Maccas choking our arteries for profit. Oh, and AFL Execs pocketing obnoxious bonus amounts. Because of the lack of progress we are now subjected to invasive banners on our screens that minimise the view in an attempt to distract us from the game.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

The other thing is, it's usually the bottom end of the table that struggles to kick scores, not the top end. The top end usually have a good midfield and decent to good forward line.

Expansion has diluted the talent level, so you end up with less class at the bottom and poorer skills etc as a result.

Spot on, T_G.

"Expansion has diluted the talent level, so you end up with less class at the bottom and poorer skills etc as a result."

Yes. The AFL dilutes the quality of product in order to increase the volume of product. But they don't cut the price.

With this doofus gone, I'd love to see Clarkson replace him but I don't think he's in the boys club so won't fit in at AFL House.

Reactions: 6 users
Like a theft in the night..
Destroys the fabric of the game and now disappears in the night.
What an absolute joke

Reactions: 4 users