Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Just find some of the commentary interesting.

Three weeks ago: The tigers just bomb it in long, giving their forwards no chance.

This morning: The tigers bombed it in long and fast, giving the defenders no chance.

I know, it a cheap shot. The last quote is from Robbo, which is a bit like quoting Barbara Bush’s thoughts on Hurricane Katrina.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
In fairness to Matthew Lloyd after the GWS loss he said we were one of only four teams that could win it. Seemed to be the only one that recognised we were far the better team in that game

Terrace Wallace also said something along the lines of "if that game were played 100 times, Richmond win 98 of them."

which brings me to last night v compared to the GWS game 2 weeks ago. everyone was lamenting Brisbane's kicking for goal last night... but no one was lamenting our kicking for goal 2 weeks ago when we kick 6.14 in a close loss. That night was a GWS jizzfest that brought back memories of GF week last year.

Reactions: 7 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The others say it with grinding teeth.
Especially Brown.
Healy changes the subject when we are brought up.
"So Gerard, how would you rate the Tigers chances?"
"Uhm ... I think Nik Nat is the best player in the history of the universe"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
"So Gerard, how would you rate the Tigers chances?"
"Uhm ... I think Nik Nat is the best player in the history of the universe"

Spot on..

When he speaks about nitnat or Dixon or Hinkey he lights up like a torch, but anything to do with us its more sombre.
'they have the game style and they have proven it works'
NEXT...

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
The only media personality who truly gets us and respects us is Nick Riewoldt.
Agree in general, SA, but I'm pretty sure it was him saying (not Gawwy?) last night in a discussion of how well Balta was going (collectively they are struggling to believe how a newbie 20 y.o. can be so good), that Astbury would not get back in the side when fit.
I nearly burst out laughing. Do they not rate DTLD yet after great defensive jobs in 2 flag teams? Do they know what our 2017 defence looked like.
All that changes from that peerless back 6 is Balta for Rance; possibly Floss or Baker freed up for an occasional sortie forward or in the middle. Or I'd consider Short to the wing relieving KMac. Depends on hamstrings of Caddy and Cotch too.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Our old coach Wallet has been saying for the last 2 years we are the best going around. I think we get a bit more credit than some say from the media!

Difficult to make an alternate case. Since 2017:

ClubWLDW %
Rich6221174.4
W.C.542865.9
Geel5130162.8
GWS5031361.3
P.A.453258.4
Coll4633258.0
Ess413553.9
Haw4036152.6
Syd403851.3
Adel4038151.3
Melb364146.8
W.B.364146.8
Bris324541.6
N.M.314441.3
St.K3044140.7
Frem284737.3
Carl195625.3
G.C.175822.7

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Spot on..

When he speaks about nitnat or Dixon or Hinkey he lights up like a torch, but anything to do with us its more sombre.
'they have the game style and they have proven it works'
NEXT...

Gerard gets only expansive when certain topics are discussed- Tom Hawkins didn’t do enough to warrant a suspension for that action. The match review panel will lose all credibility if they fail to suspend [insert name of not a Geelong player here]. That sort of thing.

The rest of the time he just nods wisely and tries to look like Yoda. Not hard to do when Robbo is going off on another incoherent rant.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers’ superstars just ‘average’
Tom Lynch, equal-third in last year’s Coleman Medal race, has been rated ‘average’
Tom Lynch, equal-third in last year’s Coleman Medal race, has been rated ‘average’
  • By CHRIS CAVANAGH
  • 9:33PM FEBRUARY 13, 2020
Richmond forward Tom Lynch, captain Trent Cotchin and two-time premiership-winning defender Dylan Grimes have been rated only “average” players by the AFL’s official number crunchers.
The 2020 AFL Prospectus from Champion Data lists five Tigers players as elite in their positions.
But many other premiership players are rated only “average” or “below average”
On a related note, Champion Data's AFL Prospectus will not be published this year.

EoBtQhk.jpg

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
On a related note, Champion Data's AFL Prospectus will not be published this year.

EoBtQhk.jpg
Cancelled due to being rated average?
David King is currently curled up in the foetal position!

Ps... we've claimed another scalp.... our game plan has blown up their algorithms.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

EoBtQhk.jpg

Champion data was bullshiit.
Football players can only be rated as good or shiit.
They tried using possessions as a form of rating players.
It dosent work and the real football supporter wouldn't read it or take any notice of the information coming from them.
Having lynch (million dollar forward) marked as average just proves how stupid and dumb there data is.
To have Edwards and Grimes marked as average is an insult.

**Zipdata will get used by the AFL in 2021.
Its a simple process of marking players as Guns or Duds.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Whats Healy going to do without Greg Davis from Champion data anymore??
With his useless stats to pump up a bloke that averages less then 10 possessions a game like NitNat!!

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
if we are 'judged' as average. what does that say about the rest of them??

well below average................... sub normal????

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Champion Data is a great resource. Unfortunately, it has never come to grips with the most important statistic in the game........goals.

A team can have 7 effective disposals in a row, all of them hitting targets, several of them backwards and sideways, and then the 8th disposal is a turnover. That is 88% disposal efficiency. The net result on the scoreboard is 0.

Another team can have a dump kick forward to a running player who pounces on a loose ball, a couple of tap-ons, a Joe-the-goose and an easy goal. That is 6 points, thank you very much. Hate to see the disposal efficiency of that passage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users