Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Still giving us nothing...'cept Cups and Medals

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Rough count over consecutive top 4 years:

WDL
Ess 3 yrs1999-2001
62​
12​
83.8%​
Bris 4 yrs2001-04
75​
1​
25​
74.8%​
Geel 5 yrs2007-11
105​
20​
84.0%​
Haw 5 yrs2011-15
99​
27​
78.6%​
Rich 3 yrs2017-19
56​
18​
75.7%​

thanks - suggest we still have a bit more work to do.

Essendon results show why their supporters get so easily frustrated these days - so dominant over the 3 years but only one flag

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Can't understand these "experts". It's like the past 3 years never happened. Or they slept through it. None have had us in the flag favourite conversation. And tonight they were all surprised with the slapping we were giving the bears and then they reverted to discussing how strong our system is. Then slowly but surely the past 3 years of pain and suffering came flashing back and they were forced to praise us through gritted teeth.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I find the constant reference to Richmond's "system" a bit of a cop-out which excuses some media from acknowledging individual talent. Yet Hardwick is never spoken about as a great coach in the same league as Clarkson.

What it amounts to is something akin to "cheating" - that Richmond has found a way to win consistently with a coach and players who aren't that good.

Reactions: 9 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Can't understand these "experts". It's like the past 3 years never happened. Or they slept through it. None have had us in the flag favourite conversation. And tonight they were all surprised with the slapping we were giving the bears and then they reverted to discussing how strong our system is. Then slowly but surely the past 3 years of pain and suffering came flashing back and they were forced to praise us through gritted teeth.
In fairness to Matthew Lloyd after the GWS loss he said we were one of only four teams that could win it. Seemed to be the only one that recognised we were far the better team in that game

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Agreed LT. It's the little underhand backhander. An ever so slight degradation of our superiority. Can't say we are *smile*, cos we not. Therefore our players are a bit *smile*, but they follow team rules, or something.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I find the constant reference to Richmond's "system" a bit of a cop-out which excuses some media from acknowledging individual talent. Yet Hardwick is never spoken about as a great coach in the same league as Clarkson.

What it amounts to is something akin to "cheating" - that Richmond has found a way to win consistently with a coach and players that aren't that good.
Yep. Think Dimma needs more credit. The Hawks win a game, Clarko's a genius.

Reactions: 6 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Personally think many in the media have very little understanding of the game & there are also far too many of them. It's basically a competition to see who can grab the most headlines by way of big statements. Hawks win clarko is a genius then before last game some were asking when he'll be sacked. Same with Goodwin, before last game all was well after a couple of wins then a poor loss & it's all doom & gloom again. None of them see the bigger picture which is seen in how the report all things Richmond. Some wrote us off after Rd 3-4 but have turned now....

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

What it amounts to is something akin to "cheating" - that Richmond has found a way to win consistently with a coach and players who aren't that good.
Can’t say I see it the same way Lee. I think they’re just trying to say we are a ruthlessly efficient side. Like a machine maybe.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Can’t say I see it the same way Lee. I think they’re just trying to say we are a ruthlessly efficient side. Like a machine maybe.

Maybe. All the talk of players "slotting in" comes across differently to me.

In these unusual circumstances, system and routine are upset. Talent has to come into it somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Some sanity this morning on Whateley’s show on SEN.

Lynch - nothing to see here. Was a cheap shot but doesn’t warrant a suspension’ .

Words to that effect...

Last edited:

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

In these unusual circumstances, system and routine are upset. Talent has to come into it somewhere.

Lee I agree.

-It’s coach
-It’s system
-It’s talent identification
-It’s also our coaches behind the scenes putting time in these kids that are seeing the past 2-3 years and there are more to come. Future is reasonably bright.
-Our development is second to none as they say.

Last edited:

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

I see it that they are pointing out our system stands up, was same narrative around the Dawks during thier era. We, like most sides have a decent top end, what we have that the others don't is a group of role players that don't get the accolades they deserve outside our Club. Nor do they have our culture.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Yep. Think Dimma needs more credit. The Hawks win a game, Clarko's a genius.

I thought last night had Dimmas finger prints all over it.
Aggro...see Lynch.
Unsociable control...see the 50 meter penalties.
Grimes not on Cameron.....telling him does not matter who plays on you, our team will defeat you.
Losing clearances frequently.....no problem. Our defence will win it back.
Ultra stingy defence.....just too hard to score a goal, points don't bother us.
Four mature age , rejected draftees......Pickett,Lambert,Aarts and Broad....no problem. And by the way, three of them are hard barstards.
Centre corridor closed...don't bother trying, just go down the line to our defence. Good luck with that.
We go through the centre whenever possible.....expect us to cut you up.
6-8 premiership players out....no problem. We have a system that will still beat you.
15 in a row.....we are in your head. You can't beat us.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I see it that they are pointing out our system stands up, was same narrative around the Dawks during thier era. We, like most sides have a decent top end, what we have that the others don't is a group of role players that don't get the accolades they deserve outside our Club. Nor do they have our culture.

Reckon a lot of the focus is on Dusty (and previously Rance). Even saw the game billed as Dusty v Brisbane on TV.

Cotchin has 99 wins as captain with only Bentley (114) and Dyer (101) ahead of him. I don't think Cotchin is revered in the same way as Hodge (88).

Some people still think Lambert and Edwards are ordinary players and Grimes a cheating stager. Buckenara labelled Vlastuin "C-grade" recently, and Bolton as "developing" but without the potential to become A- or B-grade. Butler couldn't get a game and has been a standout in one of the top sides. Ellis according to all and sundry wasn't worth a first-rounder, yet several in the media are now saying he is better than they thought.

Anyway I'm happy for our players to be undersold until the end of the season. Just find some of the commentary interesting.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
The only media personality who truly gets us and respects us is Nick Riewoldt.

Reactions: 11 users

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Our old coach Wallet has been saying for the last 2 years we are the best going around. I think we get a bit more credit than some say from the media!