Succession Plans - I don’t get it | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Succession Plans - I don’t get it

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
How many succession plans have we seen now

The Malthouse - Buckley the most famous and the most disastrous

The Roos - Goodwin took forever to bear fruit - jury still out as it didn’t really work at the time but the dees have come good

The Wordsfold - Rutten didn’t make sense making Rutten serve a strange apprentice

Are there others?

So you get my drift - I don’t understand why the Hawks are making Mitchell serve another year under Clarkson - just make him coach next year full stop if that’s the way they want to go and let him build and learn himself as they rebuild.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I had the same reaction.

Personally reckon Clarkson should takeover at Collingwood and let Mitchell step up in 2022. I don't know what Clarkson intends to achieve next year at the hawks.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008

The Roos - Goodwin took forever to bear fruit - jury still out as it didn’t really work at the time but the dees have come good

The Wordsfold - Rutten didn’t make sense making Rutten serve a strange apprentice

Are there others?

So you get my drift - I don’t understand why the Hawks are making Mitchell serve another year under Clarkson - just make him coach next year full stop if that’s the way they want to go and let him build and learn himself as they rebuild.
Roos Longmire worked well. Its basically because the guy who is coaching wants it to happen. If they dont it is doomed to failure

Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I had the same reaction.

Personally reckon Clarkson should takeover at Collingwood and let Mitchell step up in 2022. I don't know what Clarkson intends to achieve next year at the hawks.
Clarko at Richmond as an assistant!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Clarkson should just go now.

He may yet still go at years end now that he's come to the decision.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Are there others?

Parkin to Brittain at Carlton didn't really work either although Parkin didn't sook it up

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

Are there others?

Because they would have to pay Clarkson out and also pay Mitchell’s increased salary as well, all out of a reduced soft footy cap.

It seems likely that in fact the Hawks by announcing its plans now, are in fact trying to get Clarkson out to another Club, which would allow Mitchell to take over next season, (as they can only succeed if Clarkson is employed by another club).

Of course Clarkson may stay put, just to mess with Kennett.

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I think he’ll take some time off. He’ll have been Hawthorn’s coach for 18 years at the end of ‘22, and there’s the time he spent as an assistant before that. He won’t be lost to the game, and he’ll pop up somewhere down the track, but I do think he’ll take a break for a year or so.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
i think there is an out clause in the arrangement where clarko can be released if he gets an indecent proposal. i cant see him at the hawks next year.
watch this space.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
i think there is an out clause in the arrangement where clarko can be released if he gets an indecent proposal. i cant see him at the hawks next year.
watch this space.
Yeah, he’d be mad to pass on Collingwood. Coach a big 4 club, get a huge 5 year contract. I too reckon he,ll be there in 2022.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
watch this space.
Yeah, he’d be mad to pass on Collingwood. Coach a big 4 club, get a huge 5 year contract. I too reckon he,ll be there in 2022.

Yeah any proposal from the mugpies would be considered indecent in my view whatever it was.

• Haha

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
@year of the tiger , my view is the opposite. succession plans is a no brainer for mine. 18 years at one club is a long time. Sheedy stayed 5 years too long. Dimma will have coached at Richmond for 15 years by the time his current contract ends in 2024. By that time our era will probably close to the end and its unlikely he'll be around for a rebuild... So we should be looking to groom his successor then IMO.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeh listening to Dunstall talk last night he made it clear Clarko is still passionate about coaching. And that clubs would be mad not to pursue him for next year. Its almost a guarantee he will not be at Hawks next year.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Dumb decision to replace arguably the best coach of all time with an untried one

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Clarkson's time at Hawthorn is nearly done. They need a successor, and it should be a young up and comer. I've got no problem with the Hawthorn decision. Mitchell looks promising as an assistant, time will tell I guess.

I dunno if Clarko will hit premiership heights again but might be a good coach to make Collingwood or Carlton a contender again. Maybe.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I had the same reaction.

That may be what happens TF but the fact is Clarkson has a contract for 2022 and the hawks won't want to pay it out

I agree with some of the posters re the dangers of longevity at one club. The fact is that Clarkson's record from 2017 is not that flash and they refused to bottom out for a while which may or may not have been his call of course. 4 premierships is a stellar record for any coach and he will rightfully go down as one of the great coaches but i can't help but think he stayed at the hawks one contract too long.

Reactions: 1 users