Tactics 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tactics 2023

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The question is pretty clear to me.

Do we

1) change to a more defensive tactical platform, focusing more on denying oppo scores,

or

2) inject steel and size into that midfield, banking on that to provide the defensive lift we need?

I have a feeling we’ll drastically improve the midfield, bringing in bulk and hunting ability.

Which means our ballistic turnover game largely stays the same.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Do we

1) change to a more defensive tactical platform, focusing more on denying oppo scores,

or

2) inject steel and size into that midfield, banking on that to provide the defensive lift we need?

I have a feeling we’ll drastically improve the midfield, bringing in bulk and hunting ability.

Why not both? We just need to clean up our disposal and positioning like we did in 2017 & 2018.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We need both to happen. And it will happen with a beefed up midfield.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008

Do we

or

A bit of no1 but mostly No2. Hopefully by covering No2 it will improve No1.
For 2 years we have let oppo walk the ball through the corridor under minimal pressure putting our backline in all sorts of bother. And that they have been a bit of a mess has made things worse.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
1. Get a defensive coach in to teach the back 6 how to punch a ball.
2. For a so called good kick, cab we teach Short he can use the corridor when kicking in.
3. Can we teach our defenders how to take an intercept mark.

**In all seriousness.
I would not worry about the draft this year, i couldn't bear to watch Clarke pick another hack with our 1st pick. He can find quality in the other drafts, where the kids are hungry to play.
Priority 1 Tarranto & Hopper/Mitchell
Find another marking player eg, Samsom needs to play more next year.
Stack has to be best 22 or sack him mid season.
Fingers crossed Brown can go to HB.
McClean from Sydney.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Kick Goals not Points!!

Oh and get fit enough and be in better condition for the start of the season.

Get back to on field leadership and composure, being able to take the sting out of games to close them out when needed and to halt opposition momentum, and to take your chances and KILL OFF THE OPPOSITION when you have them at your mercy, ala at 16 points up against the Bears. One more goal, then Tommy failing to kill them off.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
we need to save 2-3 more goals a game in 2023.

this may not require a full tactical rethink.

it could just be a midfield renovation along with some game management tweaks.

for instance, lock down in Q1 and Q2 before going ballistic in Q3 and Q4 (as a basic example)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Beef up the midfield, and have Jack as the third tall behind Tom and either Ryan or Bauer.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Definitely option 2. We're a ball movement side now. Electric at our best, unstoppable. The issue is getting the footy, hence Taranto. Attack is the best form of defence, if we have it they don't, etc. And the AFilthL is manipulating the rules to encourage scoring. We and Sydney (and Geelong and Brisbane) have seen it and have decided, "well, let's *smile*'en score then!"

The defence will stiffen with stronger presence around the ball, but also with continuity. Balta and Baker spent most of the year somewhere else. Grimes and Vlastuin rarely played together, and not enough individually.

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
For me it is to go back to what made us great 17-20 period.

Defence
Fitness
Last quarter ground the opposition to wilt who could not go with us.

1st for Offense
1-2nd for I50

But 17th for clearances
Contested
Think pretty same for tackles.

Hopefully Tarranto
A fit Prestia
Improved Ross
Stronger Sonsie

I would keep Dow & RCD on 1 year contracts with incentives but they will need to improve on their fitness, strength around contact, work rate and clean clearance work.

Plus Stack. He need to work with the midfield group all pre season and see what he has , his desire etc. 1 year contract with incentives.

A menacing Pickett played midfield can be that player that Dimma goes if he has to shut down a player. Sometimes you got to put the clamp on a player who can see is clearly damaging us.

It can’t be all about the turnover game. He has got to tweak things a little but it starts in the middle.

We can’t clean out too many of that age bracket as we are already a young VFL side and we don’t want to be exposing too much of our young draftees to harden VFL sides.

Last edited:

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Definitely option 2. We're a ball movement side now. Electric at our best, unstoppable. The issue is getting the footy, hence Taranto. Attack is the best form of defence, if we have it they don't, etc. And the AFilthL is manipulating the rules to encourage scoring. We and Sydney (and Geelong and Brisbane) have seen it and have decided, "well, let's *smile*'en score then!"

The defence will stiffen with stronger presence around the ball, but also with continuity. Balta and Baker spent most of the year somewhere else. Grimes and Vlastuin rarely played together, and not enough individually.

yep, leaving Balta alone would be a good start.

and the Prince will only get better with another pre-season working defence structures.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
One thing we definitely should be doing over the summer is drilling the :poop: out of red time scenarios.
Absolutely

In the past 2 seasons we have been in 11 games decided by 6 points or less, for:
1 win
8 losses
2 draws

Unacceptable really

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
I think Dimma has masterminded another game plan that can spell success as it showed we matched it with all teams this year. We just now need the right players to master it moving forward.
Hooefully that comes from recent draftees and trades.
Also need to sort the ruck or tell Nank he becomes a punch ruckman. No taps, no grabbing the ball. Just belt it forward.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
A bit of no1 but mostly No2. Hopefully by covering No2 it will improve No1.
For 2 years we have let oppo walk the ball through the corridor under minimal pressure putting our backline in all sorts of bother. And that they have been a bit of a mess has made things worse.
Yep - this is the area we need to improve tactically. We need to close down the corridor. Or if you do go in there - we get the ball back.

So our set-ups need to adjust. We need to find a way to win back the ball closer to the stoppage and not let the oppo spread and create gaps through the middle. Getting more of the pill is one way - so we need to invest in that area - but we also need to finesse what has been a very successful stoppage set-up. Our ball retrieval from the oppo's second or third possession out of a stoppage must once again rule the comp.

Tigers2020

Tiger Rookie
Nov 6, 2020
Copy how the swans play. Very well set up behind the ball, elite ball movement and forward line and a break-even midfield

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Copy how the swans play. Very well set up behind the ball, elite ball movement and forward line and a break-even midfield

I heard on the radio today that the suns had 9 players aged under 22 playing on Friday night if I heard correctly. I reckon thats more than us at the moment.

We are around 1, maybe 2 years behind them with our youth coming through but we are on the right track.