Number One Priority - Draft a Ruckman | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Number One Priority - Draft a Ruckman

Hello Newman

Eat em Alive
Jul 9, 2005
Surely the time has come to identify and draft the best young ruckman in the country. Let's be honest, we really haven't had a serious crack at a ruck man through the draft since Brad Ottens. Since then we've relied on recycled players and rookies such as Greg Stafford, Trent Knobel, Andrew Browne, Angus Graham and now Hampson, with cameos from half arsed key position players along the way. The only exception to this procession of plodders has been Maric who is nearing the end.

We now regularly come up against the likes of Sandi, Natanui, Goldstein, Mumford and now even Grundy knowing that we are going to get smashed in this area. It would be fair to say that we haven't really nailed our first round draft picks in recent years so what have we got to lose by grabbing the best big man available. Yes, it takes a few years for a young ruck man to develop but let's be honest, we're a few years at best from being a serious competitor. We don't have much choice other than to keep Hampson for another year or two but we need to be developing another couple of young guns now, and I'm not talking about some basketball reject or Sudanese freak show. Let's draft a footballer and make him our own.

Reactions: 1 user

pervian

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 12, 2007
Don't see it as our number one priority Hammer did well last night didn't have big numbers but he is improving as a ruckman . Have to say I'm surprised

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I reckon Scott Lycett is the one to target. He's contracted (which doesn't mean anything these days) and he's always going to be no2 after NicNat.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
pervian said:
Don't see it as our number one priority Hammer did well last night didn't have big numbers but he is improving as a ruckman . Have to say I'm surprised

Disagree. We'd be so much better as a team if we could find a ruckman who maybe gets a few less tapouts but does some good work on the ground and around the ground. It means effectively an additional midfielder and we sorely lacked that, particularly in the first half against Collingwood when Grundy went wild.

davesexton

Tiger Cub
May 6, 2007
Due to almost all tall prospects requiring several years to develop their bodies to get the strength and durability to play ruck, it's best to look for ones who have been in the system for a few seasons but look to be starved of opportunity. Even Nic Nat, drafted as high as he was and as prodigious a talent that he is, has missed quite a bit of footy in recent times. Hawthorn has always seemed to get by with players they have acquired from other teams, with players even going as far back as Langdon, Salmon, and more recently with McEvoy.

It's just a better allocation of the scarce resources of players on the list. Ruck Prospects can be rookie listed and it's just better to use early picks on talented midfielders or a gun forward if they are there. Sydney in particular seem to always acquire their rucks from non-drafting means, even their current man Naismith is just a rookie list or development guy, and in times gone by they had Canadian Mike Pyke as well.

As an example 'Two-Metre Peter' at 203 sm is a great prospect, but he was a very high pick and would still struggle if asked to perform full ruck duties. Geelong drafted Dawson Simpson in '07 and he only played a handful of games, probably only Steven King, drafted as a compensatory 16 y/o in 1995 was someone who had an impact early in that role as ruckman. Best to try and pick the eyes out of the ones who have had a few years in the system, and then given them a chance to shine with opportunity.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Were supposed to be giving up our first for the midget Prestia
At 174cm short with thick socks and his boots on Dont think hes our answer as first ruck

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
btoz_01 said:
Were supposed to be giving up our first for the midget Prestia
At 174cm short with thick socks and his boots on Dont think hes our answer as first ruck

Hmm, is there any rule that says someone has to go up in the ruck?

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
Maric always gave away some size at the bounce, but made up for it around the grounds and deep forward - can't believe how much he's fallen away this year.

Swans wouldn't want to lose Naismith, I reckon he's come on pretty well since getting games with Tippett out.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
puregreen said:
Maric always gave away some size at the bounce, but made up for it around the grounds and deep forward - can't believe how much he's fallen away this year.

Maric was already struggling last year. Injuries taking its toll on a ruckman who uses physical presence more than anything else.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
puregreen said:

Swans wouldn't want to lose Naismith, I reckon he's come on pretty well since getting games with Tippett out.

Naismith has impressed me too, but he's pretty much 4th in line so may well be open to a move. He will be behind Tippett and Sinclair and it seems Nankervis too.

If and when Maric retires (and it surely will be this year), then we must bring someone else in. I think the list we'd probably look at with ages (at start of next year) and games next to them.

Naismith (SYD) - 24 - 6 games
Nankervis (SYD) - 22 - 10 games
Vardy (GEE) - 25 - 25 games
Daw (NTH) - 25 - 21 games
Downie (GWS) - 23 - 9 games
Nicholls (GCS) - 24 - 45 games
Lycett (WCE) - 24 - 44 games

Who else might we be interested in?

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
There can be little argument that RFC needs an upgrade on Hampson.
Has battled rather manfully this season (and beyond the expectations of many, including myself), yet Hampson is not the answer as the number one ruckman if the Tigers are ever to be contenders for the flag.

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
What amazes me is last year swans picked up a good ruck, as did others. Fact is we need a classy small forward who kicks goals and lots of them. Dusty is a good candidate but our midfield is awfully short then

We have 5 A grade players - we know them
Our Bplus is virtually now - I rated Maric, Edwards, Miles, Houli, B Eliis in this group last year - all are not at that level now. Grigg is the only one left
Our B Grade reads Miles, Rioli, Lloyd, Astbury, Vlastuin,
Our C Plus reads B Ellis, Hampson, Houli, Edwards, Short, Griffiths, Conca, Hunt, McIntosh, Menadue, Morris (gives his all)
Our C Graders Vickery, Batchelor, Moore,Lambert,

Future prospects as Markov, Drummond, C Ellis (injured most of this year),
Not sures Marcon, McBean, Braod, Castagna
Not good enough Townsend

Fact is we need 5 -7 A graders, 5-7 B Plus, 5-7 B grade and you see our problem. 15 C grade players 6 B grade so we are 5-7 players short

In my opinion we need
1. Excellent goal kicking forward - could be Deledeo from next year but we need 2-3 goals a game average
2. A plan that has Jack kicking 50+ goals a year
3. One more A grade midfielder
4. Ruckman
5. A better gameplan - one to Learn how to tackle and pressure opposition

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
HK Tiger said:
What amazes me is last year swans picked up a good ruck, as did others. Fact is we need a classy small forward who kicks goals and lots of them. Dusty is a good candidate but our midfield is awfully short then

We have 5 A grade players - we know them
Our Bplus is virtually now - I rated Maric, Edwards, Miles, Houli, B Eliis in this group last year - all are not at that level now. Grigg is the only one left
Our B Grade reads Miles, Rioli, Lloyd, Astbury, Vlastuin,
Our C Plus reads B Ellis, Hampson, Houli, Edwards, Short, Griffiths, Conca, Hunt, McIntosh, Menadue, Morris (gives his all)
Our C Graders Vickery, Batchelor, Moore,Lambert,

Future prospects as Markov, Drummond, C Ellis (injured most of this year),
Not sures Marcon, McBean, Braod, Castagna
Not good enough Townsend

Fact is we need 5 -7 A graders, 5-7 B Plus, 5-7 B grade and you see our problem. 15 C grade players 6 B grade so we are 5-7 players short

In my opinion we need
1. Excellent goal kicking forward - could be Deledeo from next year but we need 2-3 goals a game average
2. A plan that has Jack kicking 50+ goals a year
3. One more A grade midfielder
4. Ruckman
5. A better gameplan - one to Learn how to tackle and pressure opposition

Personally I'd see what geelong would take for Vardy. He's been fit enough this year but Kersten's been playing well for them, then:

1 - We have Lloyd, add Vardy and then Lids / Lennon will kick plenty playing as forwards
2 - He'll still kick 50 this year
3 - Hopefully adding Prestia
4 - Need to see what Sydney want for Naismith - contracted is the main problem, I wonder if Griff could be full time ruck, similar to a Smith / Blicavs
5 - Over to you Dimma - release the handbrake
1 -

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Probally like no other position, when you've got a topliner its huge to the club and when you haven't got one there's pretty much nothing you can do to cover it.

Always rookie one, if they become any good you can always sell them for a lot more then you bought them for, I'd next to never draft one before round 3 of the draft.