Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
We need to enforce the multinationals to pay their fair share of tax. It is absolute *smile* that they have got away with it for so long. Let's hope this current government has the nuts to see this through; unlike the previous mob.

The stage 3 tax cuts will be abolished or at least amended in some form; nothing surer. All of the language from Albo and Chalmers suggests that. They have at least 2 more budgets to do something about it. There was no hurry for this budget; other more immediate priorities.
I believe getting religious organisations that own companies that generate huge income , should be held accountable & pay their share of taxation.

Sanitarium Foods spring to mind, owned by the 7th Day crowd & are tax exempt & have a turnover of $300M

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If only a Government, any Government, would be bold enough to implement a complete tax reform. It's too complicated at the moment and so many loopholes allowing those that can afford to pay tax lawyers to reduce their tax to negligible levels.

We suffer from Middle class welfare in Aus (thanks Howard) and there's an expectation that the government had money back to those earning way above average wage because, well, because it wins votes. Reform the system, cut the loop holes, cut the allowable deductions and stick in a progressive tax that allows All people to afford to get what they need. What they want is really up to how good they are able to save/budget.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I believe getting religious organisations that own companies that generate huge income , should be held accountable & pay their share of taxation.

Sanitarium Foods spring to mind, owned by the 7th Day crowd & are tax exempt & have a turnover of $300M

Roman Catholic Church are one of the biggest landlords in the world.
Hillsong are swimming in cash

In my mind, any organisation that receives government funding or grants, should pay tax.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Higgins trial postponed for another 4 months due to a technicality in jury protocol. First time I've seen this.

Why can't they just use this evidence?

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006

Ever been to Cooranbong in NSW?

I was told lots of the town is owned by the 7th Dayers, due to the cash made by Sanitarium. Just wrong!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Labor is reticent to scrap the Stage 3 tax cuts because the Libs tied them to cuts for the less well-off. As soon as they scrap them the media will be all over them with "you can't trust Labor!"

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Labor is reticent to scrap the Stage 3 tax cuts because the Libs tied them to cuts for the less well-off. As soon as they scrap them the media will be all over them with "you can't trust Labor!"
This is understandable. Morrison was much more trustworthy.

• Haha

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Anyway the juror was caught with outside material on rape cases that was not used in evidence. In other states it is an offence that you can receive a heavy fine and even a jail sentence for.
The 'outside material' was just research done by that juror. How can this be part of any evidence on what actually happened? Maybe dismiss the juror only? Strange outcome this case.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Agree.
Tax exempt religious charities own private hospitals like Cabrini, Epworth, Mercy and St Vincent’s and have tax advantages over other private hospitals.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Tubemakers of Australia, which I think has been taken over by BHP, was owned by the exclusive bretheran, a mormon splinter group. They had big factories in Ballarat, I know, and Woolongong, I think. There were heaps of them in Ballarat, a lot at North Tech. At the time I thought they were odd, in hindsight I feel sorry for the kids raised in that cult, or any cult.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Didn't need to wait for them to scrap the tax cuts, they've already got them over the $275 cheaper power bills lie. Guess they can always double down when the tax cuts get cancelled.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Tubemakers of Australia, which I think has been taken over by BHP, was owned by the exclusive bretheran, a mormon splinter group. They had big factories in Ballarat, I know, and Woolongong, I think. There were heaps of them in Ballarat, a lot at North Tech. At the time I thought they were odd, in hindsight I feel sorry for the kids raised in that cult, or any cult.
my mate Russell builds sheds in Wang for the brethren, they are everywhere

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
my mate Russell builds sheds in Wang for the brethren, they are everywhere
They all had short back and sides while we all had mullets. Ha ha. Seems strange a fundamentalist christian cult would send their kids to North Tech, it was a jungle.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
They all had short back and sides while we all had mullets. Ha ha. Seems strange a fundamentalist christian cult would send their kids to North Tech, it was a jungle.
We had a Brethren family at Box Hill Tech in the 80s. Sounds like a similar place to North Tech

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
We had a Brethren family at Box Hill Tech in the 80s. Sounds like a similar place to North Tech
I think one of Joseph Smiths commandments was thou shalt send the fruit of your loins to learn manual labour, but they shalt not do HSC.

• Haha