Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
I correct it in a non-confrontational, guilt free way when ever i can.

I struck up a conversation with a stranger on a seat the other day,

The conversation took the 'ive got nothing against aboriginals, but' turn

The fella recounted a story of a mine he worked on where a blackfella didnt pull his weight and drank on the job.

I listened and nodded and acknowledged his story,

I looked him in the eye And asked him, in a consistent style of the conversation,

'Do you reckon youde work hard and sober for people who stole your land and killed your ancesters?'

'Nuh' he said 'i dont suppose i would'
I don’t want to pick a fight, but that’s a counterproductive response. That guy now believes indigenous people feel they’re entitled not to work hard, and that their white allies support them not working hard. He might pass that on to others. It just reinforces the opinion that they’re lazy and drink, and discourages employers. When you’re recruiting, you don’t care about the injustices of 200 years ago - you want someone you can rely on to do the job.

I’d just say, “That’s one person. All the ones I’m aware of work as hard (soberly) as anyone else”.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
5. Christmas - about 2 weeks of lunches, carols and get together leading up to the day. V We don't celebrate XMAS because we don't want to offend cultures that don't. No one to wear Christmas attire to work and no carols.

Bit weird Bunnerz.

Every place place I've worked - and there have been many - has always had Christmas celebrations, Christmas parties, Christmas lunches. They've also celebrated Divali, Chinese New Year, Eid, etc etc.

Don't believe everything you read in the Hun Bunnerz, it's Murdoch dog whistling with no connection to reality.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I don’t want to pick a fight, but that’s a counterproductive response. That guy now believes indigenous people feel they’re entitled not to work hard, and that their white allies support them not working hard. He might pass that on to others. It just reinforces the opinion that they’re lazy and drink, and discourages employers. When you’re recruiting, you don’t care about the injustices of 200 years ago - you want someone you can rely on to do the job.

I’d just say, “That’s one person. All the ones I’m aware of work as hard (soberly) as anyone else”.

Fair enough,

But you wernt on the bench with the bloke,

I was.

See, the black fellas i know mostly dont 'work' as hard as anyone else: theyre generally smarter than that. They didnt 'work' for 100,000 years, they were too busy making a living.

'Work' in this instance referring to paid employment

Last edited:

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
So when the old government starting getting bad press over robodebt, their answer was to leak welfare recipients details to Murdoch media.

What a low bunch of snivelling turds the Libs continually prove themselves to be

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
So when the old government starting getting bad press over robodebt, their answer was to leak welfare recipients details to Murdoch media.

What a low bunch of snivelling turds the Libs continually prove themselves to be

Unfortunately that piece of crap Tudge is still an MP, lowlife scumbag.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Unfortunately nothing the Libs have done over the last 30 or so years would shock, or even surprise.

• Sad

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Feared for her life? Hyperbole much.

And then she gives her expert opinion on the situation? What qualifies her?

The picture looks like a selfie from her Tinder profile?

Poor “journalism”

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

This view that injustice happened so long ago, 200 years as you say, that its not a valid issue is objectively wrong, a fallacy, a myth that a lot of people cling to. The last recorded massacre happened in the 1920s. Aboriginal people were not allowed to own land or get married without permission from corrupt 'protectors' in NSW until the 1950s, WA in the 1960s and QLD until the early 1980s. The last of discriminatory wage statutes, still normal well into the 1960s and 1970s, was off the books in QLD (the State government only had to pay blacks 75% of the award) in 1986.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

I'd suggest its more likely the guy still believes what he has always believed and that a 10 second conversation from a stranger would have no influence on it.

The conversations that should be had are the ones between mates/colleagues/teammates. A lot tougher pulling up mates and family members on racial issues than complete strangers. And likely to have more impact if the relationships are genuine.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Feared for her life? Hyperbole much.

And then she gives her expert opinion on the situation? What qualifies her?

The picture looks like a selfie from her Tinder profile?

Poor “journalism”
There probably isnt actually much wrong in that article, I only skim read it, but if you want decent factual information, i wouldnt be going near the daily mail. nor would i confuse it with journalism.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Sheesh I want to laugh my ass off but then I think the good all that wasted money could do for people who need it.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Sheesh I want to laugh my ass off but then I think the good all that wasted money could do for people who need it.
Its funny that donating $116 mill to yourself qualifies as a political donation. I'm not saying it shouldn't qualify, it should, but its funny. Especially when it only gets you 1 seat.

• Haha

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
This view that injustice happened so long ago, 200 years as you say, that its not a valid issue is objectively wrong, a fallacy, a myth that a lot of people cling to. The last recorded massacre happened in the 1920s. Aboriginal people were not allowed to own land or get married without permission from corrupt 'protectors' in NSW until the 1950s, WA in the 1960s and QLD until the early 1980s. The last of discriminatory wage statutes, still normal well into the 1960s and 1970s, was off the books in QLD (the State government only had to pay blacks 75% of the award) in 1986.
Thanks for the reminder TS - I agree that’s all shameful, and the fact it was still happening relatively recently makes it more so!

My point was that most recruiters won’t turn their mind to a person’s cultural history (recent or some time past), just their suitability for the job.

Of course, I always ask interviewees who they barrack for. That’s my key issue!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Peter Dutton describes the reserve banks decision

To replace the queens head on our $5 note,

Not with the new king,

But with some indigenous iconography

As 'an attack on society' :rotfl1

the LNP are not capable of winding back the swing to the religious right.

Theyve loaded up on c *smile* s

Who are gonna make them completely irrelevant to modern Australia

Woo hoo.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
No, I’m calling out the Reserve Bank’s bullsht as well. Royce Hart should be on that $5 note. Everybody knows it.

• Haha

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Peter Dutton describes the reserve banks decision

To replace the queens head on our $5 note,

Not with the new king,

But with some indigenous iconography

As 'an attack on society' :rotfl1

the LNP are not capable of winding back the swing to the religious right.

Theyve loaded up on c *smile* s

Who are gonna make them completely irrelevant to modern Australia

Woo hoo.

I reckon Dutton's internal conversation goes 'I could try being less of a *smile*, but on the other hand Morrison did win an election......'

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
No, I’m calling out the Reserve Bank’s bullsht as well. Royce Hart should be on that $5 note. Everybody knows it.

Does a referendum have to be yes/no?

Or could it be

Royce/Dusty?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Christian Porter giving evidence at the RoboDebt Royal Commission today.

Morrison, Stuart Robert, Porter, Cormann, Abbott, Hockey, Tudge to name a few, what a bunch of lowlife, hypocrites have graced the Liberal Party.

Reactions: 2 users