Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Very good article that, saw it the other day.

If we think it is bad here, in the USA real wages haven't risen since the 1970s, while profits continue to grow.

Let's face it, the post-war years where incomes, and even wealth, became more equal, those years were the exception. This system is not built for equal opportunity, it is built to benefit those who start with the most.

No wonder people are wondering what the hell this system has to offer.

As the baby boomers reduce as a proportion of the population there will be a lot of very p!ssed off people who wonder why their lives are harder than their parents' lives.

We are already seeing this with people maintaining their progressive political outlook into their 30s and 40s, why would you want to be conservative when conserving this system destroys the planet and your parents had it better?

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Lydia Thorpe. What a piece of work. Absolute disgrace of a politician and a very angry woman with a large chip on her shoulder against the whole world

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Great to see the LNP and Mr Potato Head sinking further in the minds of Australians.

The shift away from RWNJs and neo-cons continues. Well done Australia!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Very poor look, but I find it unusual (not really) that channel 7 have edited that clip and not shown the comments that have obviously fired her up. Surely she hasn’t come out of the club and just let rip on those innocent blokes outside?

However, Senator Thorpe really needs to rein it in.

Apparently there were words inside and from the reports I read the bouncers did ask Thorpe to leave them alone and return to her party.

Take it for what it's worth. Obviously no one really knows what triggered it and how it escalated

Bouncers had kept a close eye on the Greens defector throughout the evening because she was 'a bit argumentative' during the wild night out with friends.

'One of our security guards said they thought she (Senator Thorpe) was going to be trouble because she was going up to white men in the crowd and telling them that they'd stolen her land,' he said.

Reactions: 1 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Apparently there were words inside and from the reports I read the bouncers did ask Thorpe to leave them alone and return to her party.

Take it for what it's worth. Obviously no one really knows what triggered it and how it escalated

Bouncers had kept a close eye on the Greens defector throughout the evening because she was 'a bit argumentative' during the wild night out with friends.

'One of our security guards said they thought she (Senator Thorpe) was going to be trouble because she was going up to white men in the crowd and telling them that they'd stolen her land,' he said.
Thanks for that, hadn’t heard much more about the incident.
I do agree with one of the comments on the clip, wondering how she became a Senator

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
As someone who has been around the state bureaucracy for a while now none of this IBAC report released today surprises me.

That the premier is criticised for centralising power by IBAC is what so many have seen happening over the years, nothing of consequence happens without the involvement of his office and his often very inexperienced staff who generally have much less knowledge than hubris.

That a contract of that size gets awarded without tender to an organisation affiliated with the ALP is shocking but also not that surprising

One day arrogance will lead to the demise of Daniel Andrews which in some ways will be a pity but to me it is inevitable.

Corruption of any kind in government is bad and should be condemned by all. I am a little surprised IBAC didn’t actually say it. Whilst no politician benefited personally the ALP is majority funded by union money and awarding this contract to the AWU stinks. There would have been many other candidates way more qualified to do this work than them.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ised-in-premier-s-office-20230419-p5d1ob.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
  • Victoria Senior ministers to be grilled by royal commission into injustices against Indigenous Victorians
Senior ministers have been warned to show “honesty and courage” as they’re grilled by Victoria’s truth telling commission while it probes injustices against aboriginal Victorians.Kieran Rooney

April 21, 2023 - 11:47AM
Senior ministers to be grilled before royal commission. Picture: Brianna Young/Yoorrook Justice Commission.

Victoria

Senior Andrews government ministers will be grilled by the state’s powerful truth telling commission as it probes injustices against Aboriginal Victorians.
They have also been warned to show “honesty and courage” amid ongoing frustrations that the government has hindered the inquiry’s work.
The Yoorrook Justice Commission will hold public hearings next month and in a historic moment will call the government’s senior decision makers for questioning over policy failings.
It has the powers of a royal commission and has so far focused on problems with the justice and child protection system.
Minister for Police, Anthony Carbines will be interviewed as part of the royal commission. David Crosling
Among those to be interviewed are Attorney-General Jaclyn Symes, Police Minister Anthony Carbines, Corrections Minister Enver Erdogan and Child Protection Minister Lizzie Blandthorn.
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton is also scheduled to give evidence, with a full week of hearings also focused on department officials and agencies.
Commission chair Professor Eleanor Bourke said government leaders had to be held responsible for damage to Aboriginal Victorians.
“The Yoorrook Justice Commission has heard incredibly powerful evidence from First Peoples, many of whom have shared painful or traumatic stories at great personal expense,” she said.
“Now it is time to hear from the Victorian government, police and corrections administrators.
“The Commission expects these witnesses to show the same honesty and courage as the First Peoples we have heard from to date.
Chair of the Yoorrook Justice Commission Professor Eleanor Bourke. Picture: Brianna Young/Yoorrook Justice Commission.
“These hearings are an opportunity for government to begin to address and remedy the wrongs of the past.
“Leaders in government must take responsibility for the systems, laws and policies that have caused – and continue to cause – harm to First Peoples.”
The warning about giving honest evidence comes after the commission hauled the government before a public hearing over delays in providing documents.
The slow pace of the state’s efforts to hand over information have forced Yoorrook’s final report to be handed down a year later than planned, prompting a strong rebuke from the independent inquiry.
They have also been criticised for the quality of evidence they have provided.
Last month, Commissioner Sue-Anne Hunter told the government their responses so far had been “extremely disappointing” and warned the state they would haul them before more hearings if they did not live up to its commitments.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
As an aside it fills me with disgust seeing our PM celebrating a wedding with a bloke like Sandilands.
Are they really friendly ?
Yeah, tend to agree with you there. Not sure it was a good look.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Albo had an audience with Charlie & it has been stated Albo will swear allegiance to King Charlie. How luvely ?. If Albo changes his tune when he gets back Charlie might want his head on the chopping block.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
As an aside it fills me with disgust seeing our PM celebrating a wedding with a bloke like Sandilands.
Are they really friendly ?
Kylie's got a massive market share in NSW. Elbowskneesy knows which side of the bread's got butter on it n was lookin to schmooze a bit of mayo on as well.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yep, and I don’t like it
Also don’t like him saying the oath of allegiance to the king

Completely different things. He chose to go to the wedding, freely. That was a bad look and a mistake that could/should have been avoided.

I wish he didn't have to swear allegiance to the King, but he's duty bound to do so. We, Australians, voted to remain part of the Commonwealth and keep the head of the British Monarchy as our Head of State. As Prime Miniter, he needs to follow the conventions brought upon him by our vote. Albo is on record as wanting us to be a Republic so I'm sure he'd prefer not to do it too, but there isn't any option for him.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Completely different things. He chose to go to the wedding, freely. That was a bad look and a mistake that could/should have been avoided.

I wish he didn't have to swear allegiance to the King, but he's duty bound to do so. We, Australians, voted to remain part of the Commonwealth and keep the head of the British Monarchy as our Head of State. As Prime Miniter, he needs to follow the conventions brought upon him by our vote. Albo is on record as wanting us to be a Republic so I'm sure he'd prefer not to do it too, but there isn't any option for him.
Agree, Australians voted for Charles to be our head of state, in no way is it hypocritical for those that want a head of state to be Australian and based on some sort of merit to acknowledge that.