Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, dampening demand is done if discretionary spending is going down. By definition, essential spending is inelastic.

A big part of the problem is that supply side inflation is helped by oligopolistic markets. So many markets in Australia have so few sellers that they have way too much power over prices. How you address that is anybody's guess because markets tend towards oligopoly. Interest rate are little help unless you are willing to accept essential expenditure going down which means people can't afford housing, can't afford heating etc.

This is where we should be questioning the economic system. The economic system only exists to serve the people, if people suffer because of the policies "needed" to correct the economy, then the economy needs to change.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
We really need some people to go to jail over this stuff to make a massive threat to it happening again.

No use taxing the wealthy if you just give it back to the wealthy.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Why hasn't Albo called the Royal Commission into the Murdoch Media?

This whole Gallagher bulldust is exactly why it needs to happen and needs to happen now.

The only thing i can think of is that agencies such as sky news are so toxic and divisive, it actually helps Labor politically. But this goes beyond politics. Its about journalistic integrity.

You can’t have journo’s harassing a politician over a controversy they basically made up themselves. Especially one who has had an AVO taken out on him previously.

Pull the trigger Albo.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Why hasn't Albo called the Royal Commission into the Murdoch Media?

This whole Gallagher bulldust is exactly why it needs to happen and needs to happen now.

The only thing i can think of is that agencies such as sky news are so toxic and divisive, it actually helps Labor politically. But this goes beyond politics. Its about journalistic integrity.

You can’t have journo’s harassing a politician over a controversy they basically made up themselves. Especially one who has had an AVO taken out on him previously.

Pull the trigger Albo.

Agree, the Murdoch media are a blight on society and the whole Gallagher kerfufle is to divert from the real issue, that there are allegations of a rape in a minsiter's office.

If I was the ALP I would just never be available when Sky rings for an interview.

They have influence well beyond their ratings, if everyone stopped talking about the garbage they peddle no-one would know they exist.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The level of double-speak going is on is impressive.

RBA - need to cut spending to curb inflation
Government (including state) - our extra spending isn't inflationary

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Looks like another "metoo" happening with Van.

Suspended from room with Ms Stoker saying he groped her bottom at a party and now rumors of a third person going to say something as well.

Interesting workplace they have at parliament house. This stuff got stamped out at manufacturing sites in the 90s where every trades person's locker had playboy cutouts stuck up, or maybe even in the lunch room as the norm.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Suspended from room with Ms Stoker saying he groped her bottom at a party and now rumors of a third person going to say something as well.

Interesting workplace they have at parliament house. This stuff got stamped out at manufacturing sites in the 90s where every trades person's locker had playboy cutouts stuck up, or maybe even in the lunch room as the norm.
Just heard about the 3rd today. Another Bill Cosby situation.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

And he had the hide to say what he said in parliament!!

A fool or just a typically ignorant, entitled RWNJ that has little respect for women?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I rarely give Dutton any credit but asking Van to resign is good. If he doesn't he should boot him out of the party - he won't, because then they lose a number in the senate. If Van steps down he can be replaced by the next person who was on the ballot for the Libs in his home state.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I rarely give Dutton any credit but asking Van to resign is good. If he doesn't he should boot him out of the party - he won't, because then they lose a number in the senate. If Van steps down he can be replaced by the next person who was on the ballot for the Libs in his home state.

He could have done it before the election when the first 2 complaints were made. Van had to move his office away from where Thorpe had hers after she first reported it. The difference between then and now is only that the allegations have been made public.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
what did he say?

I believe it was in reference to what Van was saying before Thorpe accused him of sexual assault. He was banging on about protecting women in the workplace, basically to attack Labor over the Higgins affair. This line of attack on Gallagher has backfired spectacularly, with the last couple of days' revelations making the Libs seem extremely hypocritical - more so, that is.

Higgins also released a transcript of what she claims is a recording of her discussing her rape allegations with Michaelia Cash, which if true means she committed perjury in Lehrmann's trial. But I'm not sure she's recorded the conversation legally so it may not get anywhere. There's grenades being thrown everywhere in this issue.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He could have done it before the election when the first 2 complaints were made. Van had to move his office away from where Thorpe had hers after she first reported it. The difference between then and now is only that the allegations have been made public.
Apparently that was during Scummo's tenure - Dutton claims he only found out about that allegation and the two new ones after Thorpe's complaints.

Now you've made me feel dirty by forcing me to defend Peter Dutton.