Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Been watching a bit of Yanis on YouTube of late and he, along with Corbin, have a lot of interesting things to say. Things that I feel are hugely more beneficial than the corporation kowtowing politician's mantras we get fed here in Australia.

Can certainly see why both are despised and, at least somewhat feared by those who suck at the teat of the stinking rich and shameful!

I reckon Galloway is in a similar boat to them, and Sunak et.al. will absolutely hate that he was voted in by such a large majority of the good folk in Rochdale. Hopefully it is a sign that the UK is ready to push back against the same two-party focused system we also have.

Here is the the Oz Press Club session with Yanis:
and his YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/@yanisvaroufakis

And this is the YT for Galloway: https://www.youtube.com/@GeorgeGallowayOfficial

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Been watching a bit of Yanis on YouTube of late and he, along with Corbin, have a lot of interesting things to say. Things that I feel are hugely more beneficial than the corporation kowtowing politician's mantras we get fed here in Australia.

Can certainly see why both are despised and, at least somewhat feared by those who suck at the teat of the stinking rich and shameful!

I reckon Galloway is in a similar boat to them, and Sunak et.al. will absolutely hate that he was voted in by such a large majority of the good folk in Rochdale. Hopefully it is a sign that the UK is ready to push back against the same two-party focused system we also have.

Here is the the Oz Press Club session with Yanis:
and his YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/@yanisvaroufakis

And this is the YT for Galloway: https://www.youtube.com/@GeorgeGallowayOfficial
Greece's former finance minister????? But isn't Greece's financial situation even worse than Victoria's??? I might be totally off base n everything's now sweet n rosy, but I'm pretty sure I've heard mention in the meedjia a few times over the years that they were fairly deep in financial poo n having trouble paying their bills.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Greece's former finance minister????? But isn't Greece's financial situation even worse than Victoria's??? I might be totally off base n everything's now sweet n rosy, but I'm pretty sure I've heard mention in the meedjia a few times over the years that they were fairly deep in financial poo n having trouble paying their bills.

Yes, and if you only read the mainstream media that is the sort of distortion you can expect.

Varoufakis was Finance Minister in the Syriza government which came into power with Greece in a parlous situation. There are many reasons for Greece's economic woes - these include an overvalued currency as they are part of the Euro (over-valued for Greece, under-valued for Germany which gives Germany a huge advantage along with a virtually guaranteed trade surplus); a defective tax system; an economy which is too narrowly focussed etc. These were not the fault of Varoufakis or the Syriza government.

Varoufakis actually had some good ideas to get Greece out of their problems, or at least getting back on the road to a more sustainable economy, but they were blocked by the Neo-Liberal policies of the EU and the fact that Greece has little economic power.

Varoufakis' contention that we are moving towards a more feudal mode of society as a result of the way that large, often monopolistic, technology firms operate, has merit. It was a while ago I read his book on this but a lot of it makes a lot of sense.

As for the notion that Victoria's financial situation is at all comparable to Greece, again, distortions from the mainstream media and their slavish adherence to an economic orthodoxy which is based on internally consistent but empirically bankrupt theories. They will tell you that governments have to balance budgets like a household, it is laughable how stupid such an idea is. The other thing which is rarely mentioned is that the real debt problem across Western countries is the massive increases in private debt as a proportion of GDP. They don't like to mention this as it is a direct result of the loosening of credit to allow banks and financial institutions to make obscene profits. In fact, this is one of the largest issues in the economy - there has been a shift in income from labour to capital, but a lot of the increase in income to capital is actually the finance sector which produces nothing or very little of value and their income is rent (rent, in the economic sense, not just payment for use of a dwelling).

DS

Reactions: 2 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Greece was in with the P.I.G.S. but that had zero to do with Yanis; if you check out some of his ideas/ plans, they are pretty darn good! From memory, Greece got screwed over by the EU... HARD!

Not sure why you think Vic is in some terrible financial position either.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not sure why you think Vic is in some terrible financial position either.
Old mate Dan has left the building, no longer any need to stand with him. Not deep in *smile* yet, but things aint that pretty and unless you're in the state Pubic service or CFMMEU it's still gunna get uglier.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Old mate Dan has left the building, no longer any need to stand with him. Not deep in *smile* yet, but things aint that pretty and unless you're in the state Pubic service or CFMMEU it's still gunna get uglier.
What do I have or my post have to do with standing with dan, I assume you were implying that I stand with him...?

Got any proof that it is going to get uglier?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I just love this :rotfl1:banana:rotfl2

Former prime minister Scott Morrison’s farewell dinner in the Sutherland Shire, featuring Sky News sycophant Paul Murray on MC duties, was meant to go down next week.

CBD wondered how many Liberals would actually show up; it looks like we’ve gotten our answer – the event has been postponed, with no rescheduled date in sight.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

Former prime minister Scott Morrison’s farewell dinner in the Sutherland Shire, featuring Sky News sycophant Paul Murray on MC duties, was meant to go down next week.

CBD wondered how many Liberals would actually show up; it looks like we’ve gotten our answer – the event has been postponed, with no rescheduled date in sight.

Thats a shame. The former ministers of health, finance,industry,science , energy and resources, Home affairs and treasury already RSVP’d the former Prime Minister saying they could make it
:mhihi:))

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Thats a shame. The former ministers of health, finance,industry,science , energy and resources, Home affairs and treasury already RSVP’d the former Prime Minister saying they could make it
:mhihi:))

They just need a lot of mirrors. He'll be his own crowd & can pat his own back.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

its the little things like this that briefly restore your faith in humanity.

briefly,

then polls say 60 million people want to vote Trump boss of the world.

how did we get here?

on the Libs. have they sort of wedged themselves on Tik Tok?

Libertarians fearing the yellow peril?

they seem very defamation happy too for free speechers?

anyway, *smile* off Morrison.

he will excel in the role of selling submarines that will never be delivered.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Having had a child attend both public & private high schools I can safely say the gap is wide.
The public school system is not what it was when I grew up & that is a shame on Australia.
Unfortunately the gap is going to continue to get wider as faith in the public system deteriorates.
Those who can afford it will make an easy choice.
Both major parties have to take responsibility for that.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Albo removes the two seniors ASIO Intelliigence officers from National Securites Council. Most probably put these positions on the National Securities Council out to Contract & advertised on Tik Tok.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Having had a child attend both public & private high schools I can safely say the gap is wide.
The public school system is not what it was when I grew up & that is a shame on Australia.
Unfortunately the gap is going to continue to get wider as faith in the public system deteriorates.
Those who can afford it will make an easy choice.
Both major parties have to take responsibility for that.
In terms of the facilities, quality of the playing surface, age of the computers, how recently painted, how well equipped the music room is, (or if you go to Gina Rineharts old school in Perth, a student wellness centre and spa) etc etc, yes, no doubt. In terms of education outcomes, when controlling for certain factors, like for example poaching talent through scholarships and expelling problem children, the data and the analysis say there is no difference.

And as for the both major parties, to some extent yes. But Howard changed the game, re-drafted the rules, progressivly introduced and increased and entrenched changes over 11 years. By the time he was finally voted out a lot of the ALPs voter base had bought into it and Labor were hamstrung. They could only try and unravel it slowly. Definately a shame on Australia. Its slowly killing our society IMO.