Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not sure what's more impressive. The media not taking *smile* from the politician, the politician not dismissing the line of questioning but instead answering the questions or the SkyNews UK take down of Tony Abbott
Abbott will be able to call around to see his mate 'Sir" Prince Phillip and have cucumber sandwiches with him.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Started following Albo on facebook. All he can do is constantly bag the Morrison government on the lefts deflection narrative of the federally funded aged care (which is as stupid as constantly bagging the state labor government on the state government funded public hospitals.)

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Started following Albo on facebook. All he can do is constantly bag the Morrison government on the lefts deflection narrative of the federally funded aged care (which is as stupid as constantly bagging the state labor government on the state government funded public hospitals.)

Its true champ, accept it. They are 100% responsible for the aged care crisis.

However, federal Labor are almost as hopeless as the Victorian LIberals in terms of offering up alternate solutions for dealing with COVID. Negative, negative, negative.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Its true champ, accept it. They are 100% responsible for the aged care crisis.
You’re “champing” me? Sure thing Zips... but go on, elaborate on what exactly this aged care crisis is and why the Libs are 100% responsible for it.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
He's an empty vessel.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
deleted

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
You’re “champing” me? Sure thing Zips... but go on, elaborate on what exactly this aged care crisis is and why the Libs are 100% responsible for it.
The residential aged care sector is regulated and funded by the Feds. They decide on the minimum standards required in the sector and they also regulate staffing requirements, pricing, bonds etc. They also fund it and hand out a lot of money to operators for each patient
There are two types of residential aged care facilities in Victoria. There are private operators which can be anything from not for profits/ religious denominated facilities to for-profit organisations. There are facilities run by State funded public hospitals under licence from the Commonwealth which are required to follow the same rules as the private operators but also are subject to state rules, such as minimum nursing ratios, higher pay under government EBAs , minimum infection control standards etc. The extra costs that incurs are funded by the state.
How many cases of COVID do you think Victoria has had in the state run facilities ? The answer is 5 !!!!
When the aged care issues blew up the Public hospitals have come in and taken over some of the facilities, in others they have come in as consultants , implementing cleanliness training and standards and supplementing woefully inadequate staffing. This is a massive failure in the Commonwealth run residential aged care sector largely bailed out by the state of Victoria.
However my view is that Governments are largely responsible for policy not implementation and that the failures in aged care are a result of policies implemented in the 1990s by the Howard Government but supported and enabled by every government since. In the same way I am of the view that the failure in the Hotel quarantine program was a failure of the bureaucracy and the way public health is managed in Victoria which is also something that has been supported and carried on by successive governments for a long time now.
We overstate the day to day influence politicians have imo, it is bureaucrats that implement things. What politicians are responsible for is the policy framework, the funding and the structure of the bureaucracy that allows these things to happen.

Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I reckon Andrews has generally responded really well publicly to this outbreak and the first, but he well and truly overdid it with the 'federally' funded aged care blame. yes point it out, but for a while every mention about aged care included a dig at the feds. it got tiresome pretty quick, and didn't help his attempted narrative about no engaging in a "blame game"

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Morrison and his Libs have loaded the recovery panel with gas people, with links to his party, and guess what? they want a 'gas' led recovery, despite all economic and environmental indicators suggesting we should be lessening our reliance on gas, not increasing it.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Without getting into some long economic debate I am really at a loss as to how tax cuts, especially to higher income earners, should be the number 1 priority for economic recovery as stated by the Treasurer.
I would have thought that if you don’t have a job then tax cuts aren’t going to help you very much.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Without getting into some long economic debate I am really at a loss as to how tax cuts, especially to higher income earners, should be the number 1 priority for economic recovery as stated by the Treasurer.
I would have thought that if you don’t have a job then tax cuts aren’t going to help you very much.

Trickle down is the theory, rich earn more and spend which stimulates the economy. Not a theory I agree with. Given the widening inequality in income distribution and that the Australian economy was heading down before the pandemic this does look like a silly policy.

More money to those more likely to spend and not save would be better I reckon.

DS

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I agree with David and Sin. We must get the balance right and give those with a work ethic an incentive to get ahead. A simple incentive would be for industries that are finding is hard to get employees that the tax free thresholds get increased. And that if you work for example picking fruit as a weekend job or while you are holidays from your main job you can claim the tax free threshold again. This rewards workers that are having a real go.

There should also be large tax incentives to those that employ large numbers of Australian’s.

Another thing I would like to see is any employee CEO, CFO or otherwise if they get paid more than 10 times what they pay their lowest full time workers they pay tax at 50% marginal tax rate. No one should be worth more than 10 times another employee. I have seen so many times in my career when revenue is flat managers on all levels have huge pressure to cut costs so that dividends can maintained to shareholders. This only advances the top few in an organisation who have share options.

Lets reward the work ethic.