Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Weekends, public holidays, four weeks holiday pay, leave loading, long service leave, parental leave, superannuation, health and safety protocols, sick days, smoko. And let's not forget the aqueducts.

Everyone who's had a job in the last hundred years can thank their union forebears.

Of course there has to be a balance and there are bad eggs, grifters and bullies just as there are in any power structure. But strong unions with strong ethical leadership are crucial to maintaining the balance between capital and labour. Unfortunately some of the bad ones make it all too easy for the minions of capital to demonise them.
Bit of hyperbole there Spook. Many people who have had a job on the last 100 years can also thank those entrepreneurs and business owners who risked their own capital to create and grow those businesses.
That doesn’t make all businesses today ethical or moral, and nor do the benefits created by unions in the past make them ethical and effective organisations today.
My history is one of strong support for the Union movement in my early working days but unfortunately I have rarely seen the strong ethical leadership you refer to in recent years.
But despite all that imo workers should have the right to decide who represents them with their employers.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Bit of hyperbole there Spook. Many people who have had a job on the last 100 years can also thank those entrepreneurs and business owners who risked their own capital to create and grow those businesses.
That doesn’t make all businesses today ethical or moral, and nor do the benefits created by unions in the past make them ethical and effective organisations today.
My history is one of strong support for the Union movement in my early working days but unfortunately I have rarely seen the strong ethical leadership you refer to in recent years.
But despite all that imo workers should have the right to decide who represents them with their employers.
Of course, sinner. I am all for the risk takers, the entrepreneurs. Just as long as they don't become exploiters.

P.S. I'm in a hyperbolic mood. :D

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Wow. I moved to Melbourne a year ago afyer 15 years in Country Vic.
First Australia Day here in 15 years.

Shocking.

Country towns celebrate with each other. Aboriginals and all. Great day.

Today in Melb was shocking.

Maybe just change the date but also stop the payments.

Why does my mate who is one quarter Aboriginal get so many free things.

It's a joke.

He laughs about it but admits he's embarrassed.

Says he spends his payments on booze and gambling.
Stop the payments. Buy the land.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah there's different ways to view guilt, and guilt and shame are close relatives.

Personally , I can feel guilty for things i don't do

If i don't phone my mum for 2 weeks, i feel guilt.

Equally, i enjoy the benefits of stolen land and i feel guilt though i didn't steal it

But i don't see the big drama with guilt.

It motivates me to ring my mum, and be respectful and grateful to the people whose stolen land i enjoy

Yeah, guilt seems to be particularly resented. I suppose we all see things though our own lens. As long as we all try and do the right thing and are willing to listen to what indigenous communities are saying we can make progress.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Personally I feel like the government and those responsible for the indigenous Voice to parliament are losing the public debate battle at the moment. I think there is a genuine lack of understanding of what we are going to vote for.

They need to stop talking in cliches and generalities and do some explaining ( for the record I am in favour)
I recently heard of a model in Norway relating to the ethnic Sami people which is very close to what I believe is being proposed. This was also discussed on The Drum on the ABC yesterday

https://sametinget.no/om-sametinget/om-sametinget/

If we don't get this message across the naysayers will win this

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Some public holidays over the last 12 months since moving to Melbourne after 15 years. How they have changed.

1. New Years Day - people celebrating with each other v people stealing or celebrating Chinese New Year weeks later instead.

2. Australia Day - morning breakfast celebrations then to the pub for more Aussie celebrations, songs and beers v protests and people too scared to wave their flags.

3. AFL eve - AFL activities all around town for the kids followed by Friday night drinks and AFL grand final competitions and bets v is it AFL gF day tomorrow??

4. Melbourne Cup - bbqs everywhere and sweeps v Racing is cruel. Nup to the Cup.

5. Christmas - about 2 weeks of lunches, carols and get together leading up to the day. V We don't celebrate XMAS because we don't want to offend cultures that don't. No one to wear Christmas attire to work and no carols.

The new norm.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
An interesting one yesterday.
Went to grab a quick drink and bannana read from Cafe as I do maybe once a week.

As entering a big poster explaining its Invasion Day and not Australia Day and they won't be mentioning it or celebrating it.
Fair call. I'm 50.50 on it myself now. Actually let's just change the bloody date.

Order my products.
That's $12 she said.
Oh it was 10.50 last week. Have prices gone up I said (assuming like everything else)

Naaaaaa It's AUSTRALIA DAY she said.
You have to pay more.
Ok.

• Haha

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Having a rant. I know but seriously is it time to abolish all Public Holidays?

After being back in Melbourne for 12 months now everyone of them causes great divide and complaints.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Having a rant. I know but seriously is it time to abolish all Public Holidays?

After being back in Melbourne for 12 months now everyone of them causes great divide and complaints.
Yeah. Take the emotion out of it and think how stupid it is that theres a day off because it’s:

the first day of the year.
the day after Christmas
the King/Queens birthday (when it’s not even their birthday )
the day before a game of footy
a 3 minute horse race
a fictional character died
a fictional character came back to life!

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Weekends, public holidays, four weeks holiday pay, leave loading, long service leave, parental leave, superannuation, health and safety protocols, sick days, smoko. And let's not forget the aqueducts.

Everyone who's had a job in the last hundred years can thank their union forebears.

Of course there has to be a balance and there are bad eggs, grifters and bullies just as there are in any power structure. But strong unions with strong ethical leadership are crucial to maintaining the balance between capital and labour. Unfortunately some of the bad ones make it all too easy for the minions of capital to demonise them.
Strong ethical leadership everywhere is important. Unfortunately the most visible leaders we have are our politicians. Hoping Albanese is the start of someting new.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's the first Australia Day I've been in the country for in many years. Quite taken aback by the animosity around Australia Day. As a nation we still have a long way to go until we can say we're not a racist country.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Yeah. Take the emotion out of it and think how stupid it is that theres a day off because it’s:

the first day of the year.
the day after Christmas
the King/Queens birthday (when it’s not even their birthday )
the day before a game of footy
a 3 minute horse race
a fictional character died
a fictional character came back to life!
Some valid points.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I
Some public holidays over the last 12 months since moving to Melbourne after 15 years. How they have changed.

1. New Years Day - people celebrating with each other v people stealing or celebrating Chinese New Year weeks later instead.

2. Australia Day - morning breakfast celebrations then to the pub for more Aussie celebrations, songs and beers v protests and people too scared to wave their flags.

3. AFL eve - AFL activities all around town for the kids followed by Friday night drinks and AFL grand final competitions and bets v is it AFL gF day tomorrow??

4. Melbourne Cup - bbqs everywhere and sweeps v Racing is cruel. Nup to the Cup.

5. Christmas - about 2 weeks of lunches, carols and get together leading up to the day. V We don't celebrate XMAS because we don't want to offend cultures that don't. No one to wear Christmas attire to work and no carols.

The new norm.
See you edited a post earlier- can you tell us what payments your mate gets cos he is Aboriginal?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Order my products.
That's $12 she said.
Oh it was 10.50 last week. Have prices gone up I said (assuming like everything else)

Naaaaaa It's AUSTRALIA DAY she said.
You have to pay more.
Ok.
I would assume it is cos the law says staff have to be paid more,- nothing to do with celebrating the day.