Tasmania | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tasmania

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Mr Magoo Robinson has written in the Herald Scum today that clubs are now very nervous about the whole Tasmania deal.

There’s still a $375m gap in funding for this new stadium and the clubs think the operating $ and budgets also look rubbery - despite AFL funding year on year.

As an extension of that, Magoo reckons the AFL have pumped in over $350m in 10 years to GC and GWS collectively and alludes to the clubs’ concerns over what level of ongoing contribution is going to be needed for Tasmania.

Given its Magoo writing this, the thing will probably be approved tomorrow, and have full endorsement. But anyway just highlighting what he’s written.

One things for sure, that Carter report wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. Omissions galore.

Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Rant incoming:
First things first, I 100% support a team in Tassie. But I do not support the building of a brand spanking new stadium 100% funded by the taxpayer.

I just wanna have a bit of whinge about the narrative on this issue earlier in the week.

The state opposition have copped it from all angles because they might not necessarily support the concept of the TAS govt paying for half of the new stadium in Hobart.

IMO, the criticism is being directed towards the wrong people… the AFL have demanded Tassie build a stadium and basically threatened to withhold the new licence unless the stadium is built.

A few weeks ago, the AFL signed a new $4.5 billion TV deal, yet expect $750 million of taxpayers money spent on a shiny new stadium.

This is bloody outrageous and insanely arrogant. We should be angry at the AFL, but instead, we are criticising politicians for not coming to the party. The AFL (and their sycophantic media) are playing it smart deflecting the narrative to politicians, but bloody hell, am I the only person that sees through this???

I have long criticised taxpayer funded upgrades to AFL Infrastructure. The $225 upgrade to Marvel – a privately owned stadium – is appalling.

Tasmania is a small state and spending at least $375 million on a stadium is a big hit to their bottom line. If the AFL want a stadium in Hobart, let them pay for it (or pay a large chunk of it).

IMO, they should dump the new stadium concept and renovate Bellerive Oval. I’m sure they can build a grandstand on the hill and increase the capacity to over 25,000 at 30-40% of the cost.
I’ve said before. For context, 10 years ago, the stadium at Carrara was constructed for $110mil (about $190mil in today’s money) for the Gold Coast Suns. A functional, adequate facility. And don’t give me the disingenuous BS…”that was a redeveloped stadium.” It was completely demolished and built from ground zero. The only remaining structures are the light towers. To build something similar you could add some slippage to that depending on the building site. But not 4-5x. That is just barking mad!

Society has completely lost it’s mind, gone collectively insane and hypnotised with grotesque, garish, conspicuous consumption if a gold plated Taj Mahal (of $750-$1bn - around 5 times the prices!!) is considered the bare minimum to kick a piece of leather around in. Particularly for a state of only 500k that I don’t believe has oil wells or gold mines coming out of its ears. We’re like the last days of Rome - as society sways towards decline, keep the masses blissfully unaware by building them extravagant coliseums.

The whole idea of a stadium with a roof being a non negotiable requirement originated from one of Eddie Macguire’s barely sane rants on Footy Confidential. And like lies and myths. Repeat *smile* enough times and it becomes accepted wisdom.

“But it’s too cold….” Again, repeat *smile* enough times and it becomes accepted wisdom. And yet another example of a decadent collectively insane society losing all sense of reality. The climate playing outdoor sports in Hobart isn’t actually much different to Geelong. A couple of degrees in it. The average numb nut Aussie stupid (Macguire included) seems to have it in their mind that Hobart is like being at Australia’s Casey Antarctic station. American football teams as well as soccer leagues in Europe play in far colder outdoor conditions than Hobart - well below zero with snow and ice. It makes the couple of degrees difference between Hobart and Melbourne (or Geelong) seem pitifully trivial. Yet people see it as basically nothing to add several hundred million to the price to placate the pitifully trivial. Like I say, a society hypnotised by conspicuous consumption.

Added to the above equation of spending extravagant amounts on an over engineered Taj Mahal, another optic I can’t get out of my head is the resources (physical and financial) poured into Bellerive and York Park over the past two decades to essentially now be abandoned, while no where near the end of their life - once again, criminal waste that is indicative of the alarmingly flippant disposability our society is predicated on.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Class-A rant Pants! Love it!

Totally agree with the *smile* reasoning about needing a new stadium.

York Park is a great place to watch footy. The western stand blocks the wind and the rain for the soft-arse bastards like McGuire. (Who is in a nice warm commentary booth anyway.) The rest of us have stomped through ice-covered puddles on the way into the ground, and when there we've scraped the frost off the seats and poured a cup of black tea from a thermos to keep Jack Frost at bay.

Never seen any games at Bellerieve in person, footy or cricket, so can't comment. But plenty in my extended family have and they view surviving the weather as a point of pride. Take along a scarf, a beanie and a Japara waterproof in case it rains, and you're golden. In any case there is not much you can do about the wind off the Derwent when its a southerly. Gonna be freeze the balls of a nun even during summer when its blowing from Antarctica.

Stadium with a roof? You can keep Mickey Mouse Arena for the soft-*smile*, and they can support Norf.

Last I looked it is an outdoor sport!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Rant incoming:

I’ve said before. For context, 10 years ago, the stadium at Carrara was constructed for $110mil (about $190mil in today’s money) for the Gold Coast Suns. A functional, adequate facility. And don’t give me the disingenuous BS…”that was a redeveloped stadium.” It was completely demolished and built from ground zero. The only remaining structures are the light towers. To build something similar you could add some slippage to that depending on the building site. But not 4-5x. That is just barking mad!

Society has completely lost it’s mind, gone collectively insane and hypnotised with grotesque, garish, conspicuous consumption if a gold plated Taj Mahal (of $750-$1bn - around 5 times the prices!!) is considered the bare minimum to kick a piece of leather around in. Particularly for a state of only 500k that I don’t believe has oil wells or gold mines coming out of its ears. We’re like the last days of Rome - as society sways towards decline, keep the masses blissfully unaware by building them extravagant coliseums.

The whole idea of a stadium with a roof being a non negotiable requirement originated from one of Eddie Macguire’s barely sane rants on Footy Confidential. And like lies and myths. Repeat *smile* enough times and it becomes accepted wisdom.

“But it’s too cold….” Again, repeat *smile* enough times and it becomes accepted wisdom. And yet another example of a decadent collectively insane society losing all sense of reality. The climate playing outdoor sports in Hobart isn’t actually much different to Geelong. A couple of degrees in it. The average numb nut Aussie stupid (Macguire included) seems to have it in their mind that Hobart is like being at Australia’s Casey Antarctic station. American football teams as well as soccer leagues in Europe play in far colder outdoor conditions than Hobart - well below zero with snow and ice. It makes the couple of degrees difference between Hobart and Melbourne (or Geelong) seem pitifully trivial. Yet people see it as basically nothing to add several hundred million to the price to placate the pitifully trivial. Like I say, a society hypnotised by conspicuous consumption.

Added to the above equation of spending extravagant amounts on an over engineered Taj Mahal, another optic I can’t get out of my head is the resources (physical and financial) poured into Bellerive and York Park over the past two decades to essentially now be abandoned, while no where near the end of their life - once again, criminal waste that is indicative of the alarmingly flippant disposability our society is predicated on.
Not just the Taj, but the Roman empire as well. Premium rant Panthera, take an extra bonus point for giving Eddieeee a couple of slaps on the way through.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Rant incoming:

Just on the Carrara stadium, why doesn't the grandstand go all the way round, weird.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Just on the Carrara stadium, why doesn't the grandstand go all the way round, weird.

Think it was a funding issue.

Originally the multi tiered stand was only going to go along each wing. This was to be the initial phase to get the Suns off the ground, and expand gradually as demand picked up. Similar process to what the Gabba went through when the Bears/Lions moved there.

I remember reading at the time that some extra funding was found at the eleventh hour (may have been around the GC Commonwealth Games hosting rights), but it was only enough to do a certain amount of extra metres of multi tiered stands. Hence the void left at the end.

Does make it look a bit weird. Like Adelaide Oval and Giants stadium, it has the appearance of a toddler’s toilet seat from the air.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Think it was a funding issue.

Originally the multi tiered stand was only going to go along each wing. This was to be the initial phase to get the Suns off the ground, and expand gradually as demand picked up. Similar process to what the Gabba went through when the Bears/Lions moved there.

I remember reading at the time that some extra funding was found at the eleventh hour (may have been around the GC Commonwealth Games hosting rights), but it was only enough to do a certain amount of extra metres of multi tiered stands. Hence the void left at the end.

Does make it look a bit weird. Like Adelaide Oval and Giants stadium, it has the appearance of a toddler’s toilet seat from the air.

Never thought about it that way, but yes when you think about it you are correct. :ROFLMAO:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Not just the Taj, but the Roman empire as well. Premium rant Panthera, take an extra bonus point for giving Eddieeee a couple of slaps on the way through.
You know. Rob Sitch has been quoted as saying that his show, ‘Utopia’ wasn’t so much satire as observation.

He actually had one episode probably a decade ago now, where the department staff did some outreach work to Tasmania. They ran focus groups to find out what the average man and woman in the street would like to see from the government and the particular department.

The department chiefs and the government advisors were left somewhat underwhelmed and baffled by the bread and butter infrastructure concerns that the average Tasmanian voter had. Such things as they would like to drive without disappearing down potholes. They would like it if their local public school didn’t have leaks in the roof and cladding falling off. It would be good if the local hospital didn’t look like it is imminently going to fall down (and they could get timely medical care on those rare occasions where they seek it).

At the end of the focus groups the department chiefs and government advisers concluded with plans to build a stadium to keep the Tasmanian public happy…..“I know, we’ll build them a stadium.”

Prophetic?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You know. Rob Sitch has been quoted as saying that his show, ‘Utopia’ wasn’t so much satire as observation.

He actually had one episode probably a decade ago now, where the department staff did some outreach work to Tasmania. They ran focus groups to find out what the average man and woman in the street would like to see from the government and the particular department.

The department chiefs and the government advisors were left somewhat underwhelmed and baffled by the bread and butter infrastructure concerns that the average Tasmanian voter had. Such things as they would like to drive without disappearing down potholes. They would like it if their local public school didn’t have leaks in the roof and cladding falling off. It would be good if the local hospital didn’t look like it is imminently going to fall down (and they could get timely medical care on those rare occasions where they seek it).

At the end of the focus groups the department chiefs and government advisers concluded with plans to build a stadium to keep the Tasmanian public happy…..“I know, we’ll build them a stadium.”

Prophetic?

Observation?

You bet.

Our local council, which now is refusing to release comments from their "consultations" with residents, recently put out a summary which stated that the comments from residents are "confused" and that the council needs to communicate better (sound familiar?). It is complete bollocks, we're not confused, we don't need better communication, what we don't want is bloody great 12 storey apartment blocks all over the place. They just won't listen.

Just as an aside, I put "consultations" in inverted commas because they do surveys where the options are things like:
Would you agree with raising the height limit in your street to a) 4 storeys, b) 8 storeys, or c) 12 storeys. There is no option for don't raise the height limit!​

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Observation?

You bet.

Our local council, which now is refusing to release comments from their "consultations" with residents, recently put out a summary which stated that the comments from residents are "confused" and that the council needs to communicate better (sound familiar?). It is complete bollocks, we're not confused, we don't need better communication, what we don't want is bloody great 12 storey apartment blocks all over the place. They just won't listen.

Just as an aside, I put "consultations" in inverted commas because they do surveys where the options are things like:
Would you agree with raising the height limit in your street to a) 4 storeys, b) 8 storeys, or c) 12 storeys. There is no option for don't raise the height limit!​

DS
And is it any wonder why the average citizenry is so bewildered by a political, bureaucratic and corporate class that just doesn’t ‘get’ them. There seems at times so many degrees of separation in thought process that we may as well be speaking different languages.

Utopia was such a master class at capturing the nuances of this.

• Angry

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
And is it any wonder why the average citizenry is so bewildered by a political, bureaucratic and corporate class that just doesn’t ‘get’ them. There seems at times so many degrees of separation in thought process that we may as well be speaking different languages.

Utopia was such a master class at capturing the nuances of this.
One of my favourites is this this ripper from 1999 on the republic referendum. For 23 years the putting of the question in this manner has killed off any significant public debate. So much so that Charles the unpopular has attained the throne over Australia with barely a breezy puff of a lady-like fart from Australia's republicans.

A proposed law: "To alter the Constitution to establish the Commonwealth of Australia as a republic with the Queen and Governor-General being replaced by a President appointed by a two-thirds majority of the members of the Commonwealth Parliament."

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That question still gets me angry. Howard doing whatever he could to stop Australians voting for a Republic. When the referendum didn't pass, I had many English mates who genuinely couldn't understand why we didn't vote to become a republic.

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Mr Magoo Robinson has written in the Herald Scum today that clubs are now very nervous about the whole Tasmania deal.

There’s still a $375m gap in funding for this new stadium and the clubs think the operating $ and budgets also look rubbery - despite AFL funding year on year.

As an extension of that, Magoo reckons the AFL have pumped in over $350m in 10 years to GC and GWS collectively and alludes to the clubs’ concerns over what level of ongoing contribution is going to be needed for Tasmania.

Given its Magoo writing this, the thing will probably be approved tomorrow, and have full endorsement. But anyway just highlighting what he’s written.

One things for sure, that Carter report wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. Omissions galore.
The funding concerns me ,there I said it

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
That question still gets me angry. Howard doing whatever he could to stop Australians voting for a Republic. When the referendum didn't pass, I had many English mates who genuinely couldn't understand why we didn't vote to become a republic.
Phil Cleary did a lot of damage too. When. He couldn't get his preferred model up so he sh!t canned the republic movent from that point.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Prophetic?
*smile* all publicity or votes in doing the basic *smile* as expected and wanted by the general populace. It's all about the singin, dancin pomp n ceremony. *smile* how much it costs, we're gunna shove it down your throat whether you need it or not. Just STFU n start swallowing coz we've decided it's good for you.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

“But it’s too cold….” Again, repeat *smile* enough times and it becomes accepted wisdom. And yet another example of a decadent collectively insane society losing all sense of reality.

Hobart is the second driest capital city. Sure its cold, but footy is a winter sport. roof is not needed.

On another note, people are outraged about the VIC Govt giving $15 million to netball, but don’t have a problem with $750 million of taxpayers money being spent on a stadium that isn’t needed, $225 million spent on Marvel, which is a privately owned stadium, or another $142 million being spend on Geelong after hundreds of millions spent previously. Its outrageoous.

Last edited:

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Hobart is the second driest capital city. Sure its cold, but footy is a winter sport. roof is not needed.

On another note, people are outraged about the VIC Govt giving $15 million to netball, but don’t have a problem with $750 million of taxpayers money being spent on a stadium that isn’t needed, $225 million spent on Marvel, which is a privately owned stadium, or another $142 million being spend on Geelong after hundreds of millions spent previously. Its outrageoous.
FWIW - the coldest I’ve ever been at the footy - anywhere ever - was a Friday night North v Richmond game in Hobart
Went to a couple of these - so it was probably about 6 or 8 years ago
It wasn’t wet at all - just freezing cold - despite wearing multiple layers.
Would have loved being under a roof that night.
Just saying …

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

All this money spent on sport but we can still dont have a decent stadium that would let us host more than 1 Matilda's match and 2 early knock out games at the World Cup.