Team v Essendon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team v Essendon

On the weekend,

We kicked 18 goals to 5 without Castagna.

2 goals to 4 with him.

It's a stretch to say that anything he did on Sunday makes us better in any way.

He wasn't bad. We don't need, or benefit from, him right now.

How good has it been to see a functional forward line? I wonder if anyone could have seen that Aarts and Castagna out for Maurice and Cumberland would be such a simple and effective change?

The great visionaries who fluked that prediction would probably also have said Stack is a better sub option than Castagna.
bulldust. we've got a hard bodied, hard running fast contested marking triple premiership player as sub and you're still on with the extreme hate? You're an amazing man.

Reactions: 3 users
His disposal has never been up to par. He has been taught by experts and there is no reason to believe it will ever improve.
His main talent is his tackling which is inconsistent.

Not out of the picture maybe but Stacky has worked hard and deserves a chance.
Id take a fit in form Stack everyday of the week he has genuine skill and wins the footy is also one of the best by foot at the club.

Just saying why George is still on the scene is he has speed and a tank which not many others have.

Reactions: 4 users
Ross hard done by. But George is a good player as a sub. Comes on late his pace and unpredictability he can make a positive impact. Though if we're front and want to defend a lead, Ross is a surer bet.

Dunno. Our chaos game has won us 3 Premierships.
That unpredictability goes both ways with George
With his headless chook runs the ability when having a shot for goal 30m out from the right boundary kicks at right angle to the opposite boundary and we see the ball dribbling over the line No score

Lose the game by 15 goals so it creates doubt in the mind of the EFC board and they give Truck a two year extension on his contract

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
bulldust. we've got a hard bodied, hard running fast contested marking triple premiership player as sub and you're still on with the extreme hate? You're an amazing man.
I think it's amazing some still can't see how much better we've been without him.

Mind blowing even.

Reactions: 3 users
Suggest there won’t be many changes . They will use the last 4 quarters of the home and away season to “ tune up “
Ross and Sonsie will get more onball time

Reactions: 2 users
all roads lead to George. Strong hate.
I don't think it's just George. It's replacing forwards without natural goal kicking instincts, with those who have them.

No Aarts, Castagna, Gibcus, Balta.

Instead, we have Lynch, Cumberland, MRJ.

The problems with George have been well documented. We have been handicapping ourselves with players who don't have the ability to offer something for two years. Specifically Aarts and Castagna. As well as players being played out of position. Nank forward, Baker forward.

George just doesn't offer anything valuable any more. He's shown that all year. Coming on when we're 80 points up, and then seeing that margin reduce, doesn't really change that for me.

Reactions: 8 users
I don't think it's just George. It's replacing forwards without natural goal kicking instincts, with those who have them.

No Aarts, Castagna, Gibcus, Balta.

Instead, we have Lynch, Cumberland, MRJ.

The problems with George have been well documented. We have been handicapping ourselves with players who don't have the ability to offer something for two years. Specifically Aarts and Castagna. As well as players being played out of position. Nank forward, Baker forward.

George just doesn't offer anything valuable any more. He's shown that all year. Coming on when we're 80 points up, and then seeing that margin reduce, doesn't really change that for me.
This post is a dogs breakfast, you just hate George. Who said anything about Aarts? Players out of posi? You have to experiment, if Dimma didn't, he'd be bagged for being rigid and stale. George is the reason for the margin going from a massacre to a flogging? seriously? Ludicrous on so many levels. He is sub, and you're still banging the jungle drums.

George is out of form, out of favour and could be on the way out. But the handicapping thing is overstated, but even so there are good reasons for why he stayed in the side longer than the lynchmob wanted.

You hitch him to Aarts to support your point, Its a furphy, I can easily do the opposite. The fact Aarts was in the side, who was never in George's league, just highlight our injuries and lack of depth due to the brutal structural realities of the reverse draft order and the salary cap.

I know one thing for certain.

If that campaigner Hind gets a game for the Drugs this week after that arrogant and disrespectful show of smartarsery last week then Rutten deserves to be sacked.

• Haha
Out: Graham (inj), George
In: Ross, Stack (sub)
Agree, would seem to be supported by Dimma's comments post game last week too. Give Graham a few weeks rest, and let's try and give Stacky a taste so he can demonstrate why he he'll be a valuable finals contributor. Stack should be ahead of George in the selection pecking order. Give me footballing talent and skill over random chaos anyday.

Graham out foot stress issue.
Shedda right to play ankle.
Dusty moved to short-term with the 1st final the goal.
Grimes pretty much season over.

Reactions: 4 users
Fingers crossed no more setbacks for Martin and he is ready to go for our first final.

Reactions: 2 users
This post is a dogs breakfast, you just hate George. Who said anything about Aarts? Players out of posi? You have to experiment, if Dimma didn't, he'd be bagged for being rigid and stale. George is the reason for the margin going from a massacre to a flogging? seriously? Ludicrous on so many levels. He is sub, and you're still banging the jungle drums.

George is out of form, out of favour and could be on the way out. But the handicapping thing is overstated, but even so there are good reasons for why he stayed in the side longer than the lynchmob wanted.

You hitch him to Aarts to support your point, Its a furphy, I can easily do the opposite. The fact Aarts was in the side, who was never in George's league, just highlight our injuries and lack of depth due to the brutal structural realities of the reverse draft order and the salary cap.

The point wasn't that he was the reason our margin decreased.

It was that it's difficult to find the benefit in what he does, when we play more poorly after his inclusion.

If the things he does look poor, and the team isn't improved by him, why include him?

I guess what irritates me is that for two years, I've been saying we need skill in the forward line. In addition, if we have pressure forwards, the need to actually be able to pressure.

And for two years we've persisted with George, and Aarts.

Finally, we include skill. We drop Aarts. We drop George. We start scoring over 100 points again. We score with flair. We have a real pressure forward.

George looks comfortable at VFL level. We look good without him.

Then he's the sub? Then the commentary starts again. Maybe he's a good sub choice?

No. Just no.

We've gone past him. He's done his duty by the club. Played his guts out. Given everything. But we're done. We need a better option. Even as the sub.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
The point wasn't that he was the reason our margin decreased.

It was that it's difficult to find the benefit in what he does, when we play more poorly after his inclusion.

If the things he does look poor, and the team isn't improved by him, why include him?

I guess what irritates me is that for two years, I've been saying we need skill in the forward line. In addition, if we have pressure forwards, the need to actually be able to pressure.

And for two years we've persisted with George, and Aarts.

Finally, we include skill. We drop Aarts. We drop George. We start scoring over 100 points again. We score with flair. We have a real pressure forward.

George looks comfortable at VFL level. We look good without him.

Then he's the sub? Then the commentary starts again. Maybe he's a good sub choice?

No. Just no.

We've gone past him. He's done his duty by the club. Played his guts out. Given everything. But we're done. We need a better option. Even as the sub.
I think he is a good sub heading into finals, maybe even the perfect sub. As I said, fast hard working hard bodied player with bags of finals experience? Yes, and yes.

Reactions: 1 user
I think he is a good sub heading into finals, maybe even the perfect sub. As I said, fast hard working hard bodied player with bags of finals experience? Yes, and yes.
It’s a no from me
George coming on as the sub is likely to kick the ball into man on the mark handball to the feet of a team mate or kick the ball on the full when having shot for goal
We can’t rely on George in finals it’s time to move on His position has been taken by others

Reactions: 5 users