Team v Essendon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team v Essendon

I think he is a good sub heading into finals, maybe even the perfect sub. As I said, fast hard working hard bodied player with bags of finals experience? Yes, and yes.
I guess if we could guarantee he only comes on in the fourth quarter, I could see the logic. I still wouldn't, because I don't think he's been a good enough runner or pressure player of late to justify his poor use, where he was in the early years. But for pure, chaotic intensity late n the game, I could see the argument.

The problem is, the sub could be on in the first quarter. And then we're just fielding a guy who we can't justify fielding on the last couple of years of exposed form.

With Dusty back soon, I'd much rather Edwards as the sub.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it's amazing some still can't see how much better we've been without him.

Mind blowing even.
yep. we should sack everyone involved in selection.
actually sacked isnt enough, they should be shot and any reference to them at the club should be removed.

Ross hard done by. But George is a good player as a sub. Comes on late his pace and unpredictability he can make a positive impact. Though if we're front and want to defend a lead, Ross is a surer bet.

Dunno. Our chaos game has won us 3 Premierships.
What if George comes on Q1?

On subs in general. See things like in 20 mins Freddy had 3 kicks 2 HB and 2 tackles and a score involvement. Conclusion...an impact sub.

In the same 20.minutes 10 blokes who have been on.the ground busting a gut for 90 minutes rack up the same or better numbers.

All we can really say most of the time is the sub has only done better than the bloke he replaced (with a torn hammy) would have.

yep. we should sack everyone involved in selection.
actually sacked isnt enough, they should be shot and any reference to them at the club should be removed.
I dunno.

I'd probably go easier now that we're getting it right.

But if it helps you to keep appealing to the extremes, have fun with it!

Fridgey might be given the week off to give him a fortnight to get his foot in better condition for the big boy month a fortnight away.

I think he is a good sub heading into finals, maybe even the perfect sub. As I said, fast hard working hard bodied player with bags of finals experience? Yes, and yes.
Agree, Snake, I'm sure not a popular choice but George does offer flexibility as the sub. He can cover for multiple higher intensity running positions.

Reactions: 1 user
The point wasn't that he was the reason our margin decreased.

It was that it's difficult to find the benefit in what he does, when we play more poorly after his inclusion.

If the things he does look poor, and the team isn't improved by him, why include him?

I guess what irritates me is that for two years, I've been saying we need skill in the forward line. In addition, if we have pressure forwards, the need to actually be able to pressure.

And for two years we've persisted with George, and Aarts.

Finally, we include skill. We drop Aarts. We drop George. We start scoring over 100 points again. We score with flair. We have a real pressure forward.

George looks comfortable at VFL level. We look good without him.

Then he's the sub? Then the commentary starts again. Maybe he's a good sub choice?

No. Just no.

We've gone past him. He's done his duty by the club. Played his guts out. Given everything. But we're done. We need a better option. Even as the sub.
Agree.

I don't think it's just George. It's replacing forwards without natural goal kicking instincts, with those who have them.

No Aarts, Castagna, Gibcus, Balta.

Instead, we have Lynch, Cumberland, MRJ.

The problems with George have been well documented. We have been handicapping ourselves with players who don't have the ability to offer something for two years. Specifically Aarts and Castagna. As well as players being played out of position. Nank forward, Baker forward.

George just doesn't offer anything valuable any more. He's shown that all year. Coming on when we're 80 points up, and then seeing that margin reduce, doesn't really change that for me.
Missing easy goals is soul destroying and has cost us games. Not always George, but he is worst offender. We were 2.5 to one goal against North. Kick straight early it changes the whole dynamic.
We saw it against the Hawks. We kicked staight early. When Hawks had a dip in second quarter Breust and Gunston missed a few, that built pressure on them and flattened them. For once this year it worked our way and look what happened.
Removing George and replacing him with Cumberland is massive, and has nothing to do with hating anyone. George is unreliable when he is confident but can be effective . If he loses confidence then he is well below par especially costly in tight games

Missing easy goals is soul destroying and has cost us games. Not always George, but he is worst offender. We were 2.5 to one goal against North. Kick straight early it changes the whole dynamic.
We saw it against the Hawks. We kicked staight early. When Hawks had a dip in second quarter Breust and Gunston missed a few, that built pressure on them and flattened them. For once this year it worked our way and look what happened.
Removing George and replacing him with Cumberland is massive, and has nothing to do with hating anyone. George is unreliable when he is confident but can be effective . If he loses confidence then he is well below par especially costly in tight games
Cumberland wasnt the best kick in his first few games either. Going at 15 goals 13 behinds so far. He looks better to the eye but still going at around 50%

Cumberland wasnt the best kick in his first few games either. Going at 15 goals 13 behinds so far. He looks better to the eye but still going at around 50%
His skill level is a massive upgrade. Plus that is 28 shots in 5 games!

Reactions: 1 users
Would love for Syd to come in for Fridge, but I think Ross will probably get the nod, they both deserve a game.

Reactions: 2 users
His skill level is a massive upgrade. Plus that is 28 shots in 5 games!
I know but those misses in his first couple of games cost us big time. If George had those numbers and played on when the siren rang there would be effiges of him burning on Swan st.

I agree Cumberland is an upgrade but we need to keep it all in perpective

I know but those misses in his first couple of games cost us big time. If George had those numbers and played on when the siren rang there would be effiges of him burning on Swan st.

I agree Cumberland is an upgrade but we need to keep it all in perpective
Got to cut a guy some slack in his first few games, who is obviously a very good kick. 3 premierships and George has got worse amazingly

George for every 20 goals he scores he has 30 behinds and 45 out on the Full!!

Reactions: 1 users