Terrorist Attacks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist Attacks

Tigers of Old said:
Manus Island? Nauru? I don't care where really. Just lock em up.

why would you send people to tropical islands, that are great places to live (according to our esteemed former PM, TAbbott)?

also who are you suggesting we lock up or deport? and why?

Baloo said:
Crazed Looney with links going off solo and loony is a loony to me.

The prick that did the coffee shop in Sydney was a crazed Looney and despite how hard he tried to make it look like terrorism, it was ultimately 1 guy acting alone.

Yes I tend to think this is the same but there's no doubt there are terrorism related links.

The Australian Govt definition of terrorism

What is a terrorist act?
A ‘terrorist act’ is an act, or a threat to commit
an act, that is done with the intention to coerce
or influence the public or any government by
intimidation to advance a political, religious or
ideological cause, and the act causes:
 death, serious harm or endangers a person
 serious damage to property
 a serious risk to the health or safety of the
public, or
 seriously interferes with, disrupts or
destroys critical infrastructure such as a
telecommunications or electricity network.
A terrorist act does not cover engaging in advocacy,
protest, dissent or industrial action where a person
does not have the intention to urge force or violence
or cause harm to others.
If found guilty of committing a terrorist act, a
person could face up to life imprisonment.

https://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/Media-and-publications/Publications/Documents/australias-counter-terrorism-laws/australias-counter-terrorism-laws-english.PDF

This latest Bourke St atrocity definitely fits the above definition

Here we go again. Since the last terrorist attack we have had a Greek go nuts and run people down in the city, We also have one woman a week murdered by her partner or ex partner in an epidemic of domestic violence, most of which are carried out by European heritage men.

There is no doubt we need to deal with a minority of muslims who see violence as part of their religion and that also needs to involve the muslim community, and it does. It is a problem, there is no denying that.

But the dog whistling that goes on after events like this masks a much more serious issue of violence in this country, one that kills far more people than a few crazed loonies who want to attack people in the name of a religion

One salient point I have heard is that we should be very grateful we live in a country where this guy could only get a knife. imagine if he could have gone to KMart and bought a gun like somewhere else ?

Yeah, agree. If we had access to guns like the do in the US this would have been just another in a string of mass shootings.

BTW, great work by Vic Police to only take the shot when there was less risk of collateral damage. Again, in the US, he would have been shot 13 times at lot earlier on but a few bystanders would have been hit as well.

As for Trolley Man, hats off to him. Not sure I would have had the guts to do what he did.

Sintiger said:
Here we go again. Since the last terrorist attack we have had a Greek go nuts and run people down in the city, We also have one woman a week murdered by her partner or ex partner in an epidemic of domestic violence, most of which are carried out by European heritage men.

There is no doubt we need to deal with a minority of muslims who see violence as part of their religion and that also needs to involve the muslim community, and it does. It is a problem, there is no denying that.

But the dog whistling that goes on after events like this masks a much more serious issue of violence in this country, one that kills far more people than a few crazed loonies who want to attack people in the name of a religion

One salient point I have heard is that we should be very grateful we live in a country where this guy could only get a knife. imagine if he could have gone to KMart and bought a gun like somewhere else ?
Here we go again indeed. An Islamic terrorist performs an atrocity but some people want to say “hey, look over there, what about how many women are killed each year in Australia”.

Well the 2 issues aren’t mutually exclusive. We can discuss both. They are both atrocious and there’s no place for any violence against anyone.

The victim murdered by the piece of *smile* was Sisto Malaspina from Pellegrinos on Bourke st. If you’ve ever been to Pellegrinos you were probably served by him.

Sisto allegedly went to the aid of said piece of *smile* who in turn tried to decapitate him.

A comment from The Age:

Simone
3 hours ago
Why is it that we deport Kiwi’s like Dustin Martin’s father, yet allow people like this man, who is on an ASIO watch list, to stay in the country? Love to hear a valid and logical explanation from the immigration ministers from either of the major parties!

thumb_up 88

Got an answer Buttonhead??

tigertim said:
The victim murdered by the piece of sh!t was Sisto Malaspina from Pellegrinos on Bourke st. If you’ve ever been to Pellegrinos you were probably served by him.

Sisto allegedly went to the aid of said piece of sh!t who in turn tried to decapitate him.

What else can you say to this. Lost for words. RIP Sisto. How's Nino gonna cope now.

tigertim said:
Here we go again indeed. An Islamic terrorist performs an atrocity but some people want to say “hey, look over there, what about how many women are killed each year in Australia”.

Well the 2 issues aren’t mutually exclusive. We can discuss both. They are both atrocious and there’s no place for any violence against anyone.
So discuss them both.

I think you should read my post a little more carefully because I certainly didn't say " look over there" . There is an issue with a minority interpretation of Islam and I clearly said that, I just want consistency in views about all violence and I want proportion. The incidence of islamic based violence in this country has decreased due to many things including the resourcing and vigilence of law enforcement and large increases in engagement from the Muslim community itself . It has not been eliminated and probably won't be but the work of so many people is not helped by calls for draconian actions that probably would make things worse and could actually alienate the very people we want to engage in the issue.

Let's face it, the ideology of entitlement espoused by these people should be treated like guns in this western style democracy of Australia, hand it in to the coppers for crushing. The less on the street the better.

Sintiger said:
It has not been eliminated and probably won't be but the work of so many people is not helped by calls for draconian actions that probably would make things worse and could actually alienate the very people we want to engage in the issue.

So we just plough ahead and ignore the possibility of being picked off at random? Not good enough.

The government has a responsibility to protect its citizens and their way of life. This must be done using all reasonable means.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Everyone on a watch list. It would've spared us Monis and this guy, for starters. Zero tolerance.

i assume 'watch lists' are lists of people police are interested in, not those who they proof about?

should we arrest any male who is suspected of hurting a female? or who police are concerned might in the future?
should we deport any associates of perpetrators of domestic violence?

Brodders17 said:
i assume 'watch lists' are lists of people police are interested in, not those who they proof about?

should we arrest any male who is suspected of hurting a female? or who police are concerned might in the future?
should we deport any associates of perpetrators of domestic violence?

Instigators of domestic violence do not pose a threat to the public at large. Stop raising pathetic strawmen.

tigertim said:
No, you didn’t wait, you knee jerked in saying it wasn’t terrorism.

Correct.

Religion related terrorist act. Nut job, loony that is inspired by religious fanatics. The quicker religion ceases to cast an influence the safer the world will be.

Baloo said:
Crazed Looney with links going off solo and loony is a loony to me.

The prick that did the coffee shop in Sydney was a crazed Looney and despite how hard he tried to make it look like terrorism, it was ultimately 1 guy acting alone.

Don’t forget religion just may have played the lightest part.