Terrorist Attacks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist Attacks

Senator Fraser Anning has defended slapping a boy across the face after he broke an egg on his head, saying that's what his mother "should have given him" a long time ago.

The Queensland federal MP also said he was acting in self-defence when he struck the Melbourne teenager, now know on social media as 'Eggboy', during a press conference on Saturday.

"He got a slap across the face, which is what his mother should have given him long ago, because he's been misbehaving badly," he told reporters in Brisbane on Monday.

"When somebody cracks you in the back of your head, you react and defend yourself.

"That for years is what Australians have been doing, luckily they did that in the trenches otherwise we'd be all speaking German now."

The reference to 'speaking German' shows what a *smile* this egghead is. The humorous part of this event is that it looked like the old neighbour down the street giving his son a backhander after mis-behaving (as I used to see as a kid many moons ago....not to say I didn't cop any from my old man ;D)

TigerForce said:
The reference to 'speaking German' shows what a *smile* this egghead is. The humorous part of this event is that it looked like the old neighbour down the street giving his son a backhander after mis-behaving (as I used to see as a kid many moons ago....not to say I didn't cop any from my old man ;D)

Nothing wrong with parental discipline. A lot of kids these days think they can do whatever they like. Given his attitude, Eggboy may well have stolen the egg from Coles.

And we'd be speaking Japanese. My grandfather's collection contains some currency that they intended to use here once Australia was conquered.

Ian4 said:
Where is Pauline in all of this? absolute silence from her.

Not quite absolute. It looks as though she is going to be the only MP not supporting a censure motion against her former colleague. Indicated today she will abstain from the vote.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Nothing wrong with parental discipline. A lot of kids these days think they can do whatever they like. Given his attitude, Eggboy may well have stolen the egg from Coles.
As I inferred earlier, I'd cop a whack around the backside from time to time (or there was the threat of). Sometimes as a reminder to maintain my manners. I suspect if I had the level of politeness (or lack thereof) as Fraser Anning, I would have had a sore backside pretty often. ;)

Panthera Tigris said:
Spook, not sure if you remember Independent Senator Brian Harradine from Tasmania? Apart from him being more dogmatic on a couple of areas of social policy than my family upbringing (abortion, right to die), he seemed to be a closer parallel to the type of conservatism I observed in my family upbringing. I'd see my values being a moderate version of much of his platform. He was considered even by Green Senators he dealt with as an old school gentlemanly kind of conservative, who they respected. As you suggest, these types of voices are being drowned out. And unfortunately not just on the actual conservative side of the house. The ALP has a long history of having a more socially conservative faction, who seemed to usually be a moderately conservative voice of reason to me. I would perhaps be drawn to these types of candidates. But in the ALP, they also seem to be an endangered species. As a result, I increasingly find I have no natural political home and really struggle to place my vote.

So to refer to them as "your" parties is actually inaccurate. They are as foreign to me as they are to you.
Fair enough, mate. I do remember Harradine, a decent if hardline Christian man who thought he had the right to impose his morals on society because he held the balance of power.

The trouble with the conservative parties is they have moved so far to the right in courting the vote of the One Nation types, that it leaves nowhere for the moderates to go. What would humanitarian Malcolm Fraser make of the modern Liberal Party? (We know, he didn't like it.)

As you say, the ALP did have a socially conservative side to it. The DLP split took a lot of these types from the ALP and left them with the progressives. Labor lost blue-collar voters to Howard because they were seen to be elitist toffs, and the servant to the rich and powerful that was Howard was able to fool them with his 'battler' image.

I referred to them as 'your' parties because you identify as conservative, as do they. Moderate, 'decent' conservatives need to stand up and take the Liberal and National Parties back from the nasty hardline right that includes Abbott, Dutton, and co. These are the people who embolden the likes of Hanson and Anning and harm the cause of reasonable conservatives.

spook said:
Fair enough, mate. I do remember Harradine, a decent if hardline Christian man who thought he had the right to impose his morals on society because he held the balance of power.

The trouble with the conservative parties is they have moved so far to the right in courting the vote of the One Nation types, that it leaves nowhere for the moderates to go. What would humanitarian Malcolm Fraser make of the modern Liberal Party? (We know, he didn't like it.)

As you say, the ALP did have a socially conservative side to it. The DLP split took a lot of these types from the ALP and left them with the progressives. Labor lost blue-collar voters to Howard because they were seen to be elitist toffs, and the servant to the rich and powerful that was Howard was able to fool them with his 'battler' image.

I referred to them as 'your' parties because you identify as conservative, as do they. Moderate, 'decent' conservatives need to stand up and take the Liberal and National Parties back from the nasty hardline right that includes Abbott, Dutton, and co. These are the people who embolden the likes of Hanson and Anning and harm the cause of reasonable conservatives.

Harradine was an interesting character. He was an ALP man who left the ALP, but never joined the DLP - which probably would have been his natural home. Again, he was more conservative than I (despite being sent to Sunday School for a couple of years as a young child, my family are not generally practicing Christians these days), but I respected his integrity, and his respectful engagement in debate. His motivations, as you suggest, were always decent. Never anything coming from a motivation of hatred.

I think its beyond taking these parties back. The turmoil we're seeing in the coalition parties now and the mass exodus of moderates, I believe is the beginnings of a permanent fracturing and realignment. If only we could get these moderate elements of the Coalition and the remaining few moderate conservatives from the ALP to abandon traditional Party tribalism and form some kind of centre alliance. We see the beginnings of this in the UK too, with a block from both sides fracturing.

Waleed Ally wrote a good peice a couple of years ago. He said if we were starting at year dot now, the Political alignment would be totally different than the legacy tribes we have. The moderates of the Libs would join forces with the said conservative ALP faction to form a centre kind of alliance. The ALP-left would join part of the Greens. The even further left part of the greens would revert to being overtly Marxist parties, rather than deceitfully piggy backing on the Greens. Then on the right side, you'd likely have a few different splintered right wing groups. Some religiously-Christian based, some more nationalist based (the latter being where the likes of Anning and Hanson would live).

spook said:

Partially correct. I class myself as a moderate (even though some here see me as an extremist a half-step to the left of Tarrant) and don't see a viable option. Dutton would've made a fine PM IMO, but he doesn't have the image. He looks like an underaker but lacks the wit of a Keating.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Partially correct. I class myself as a moderate (even though some here see me as an extremist a half-step to the left of Tarrant) and don't see a viable option. Dutton would've made a fine PM IMO, but he doesn't have the image. He looks like an underaker but lacks the wit of a Keating.
That someone who thinks Dutton would have been a fine PM sees himself as a moderate shows how far to the right politics has shifted in the past two decades.

It's funny. Even Dutton's own party scuppered his chance of being PM because they knew he was too far right.

Baloo said:
It's funny. Even Dutton's own party scuppered his chance of being PM because they knew he was too far right.

Ah rubbish. He just doesn't have a friendly countenance and struggles to smile. A lot of people with only a passing interest in politics would be put off by that alone. People don't want their leaders looking grim. Leftist media would have a field day.

Peter-Dutton-1-600x337.jpg

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Ah rubbish. He just doesn't have a friendly countenance and struggles to smile. A lot of people with only a passing interest in politics would be put off by that alone. People don't want their leaders looking grim. Leftist media would have a field day.

If you really believe that then I can see how you can think of yourself as a moderate HowardToAbbottToDutton

Baloo said:
If you really believe that then I can see how you can think of yourself as a moderate HowardToAbbottToDutton

He won a traditional marginal seat from Labor and has held it since 2001, and criticised the Greens and Anning in equal measure today. That in my book makes him a moderate.

I don't think I've labelled any of you lefties "extreme". A bit *smile* up, maybe, but not extreme.

He didn't criticise the Greens and Anning in equal measure, he sought to equate criticism of hate speech with hate speech itself, in a bid to absolve his own disgusting comments from any responsibility for emboldening right wing extremist nut job terrorists.

spook said:
He didn't criticise the Greens and Anning in equal measure, he sought to equate criticism of hate speech with hate speech itself, in a bid to absolve his own disgusting comments from any responsibility for emboldening right wing extremist nut job terrorists.

Ah yeah, I bet he had posters of Dutton on his bedroom wall.

What you and the Greens are saying IS lunacy, even if you can't see it.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
He won a traditional marginal seat from Labor and has held it since 2001, and criticised the Greens and Anning in equal measure today. That in my book makes him a moderate.
“I’m hardly going to take morals lectures from the extreme left, who frankly are just as bad in this circumstance as people like Fraser Anning, they should equally be condemned.”

What is it about what the Greens have said that put them on equal footing with what Anning said? Or is it just because he took a swipe at the Greens that makes him Moderate ?

Baloo said:
“I’m hardly going to take morals lectures from the extreme left, who frankly are just as bad in this circumstance as people like Fraser Anning, they should equally be condemned.”

What is it about what the Greens have said that put them on equal footing with what Anning said? Or is it just because he took a swipe at the Greens that makes him Moderate ?

They're blaming Dutton for the massacre. Can you not *smile* see that?

It's a special form of tunnel vision that sees Dutton as "extreme".

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
They're blaming Dutton for the massacre. Can you not *smile*ing see that?

It's a special form of tunnel vision that sees Dutton as "extreme".

“It is politicians like Peter Dutton who have actually contributed to creating an atmosphere where hate is allowed to incubate in our society,” Faruqi told Radio National. “They can’t shrug off their responsibility.”

Agree there's tunnel vision at play in this debate.

Baloo said:
“It is politicians like Peter Dutton who have actually contributed to creating an atmosphere where hate is allowed to incubate in our society,” Faruqi told Radio National. “They can’t shrug off their responsibility.”

Agree there's tunnel vision at play in this debate.

Tell me that statement does not imply responsibility for the massacre. Go on, tell me.

And while you're at it, supply quotes from Dutton, from any period, that inspired the massacre.

The onus is on you to put up or shut up.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Tell me that statement does not imply responsibility for the massacre. Go on, tell me.

And while you're at it, supply quotes from Dutton, from any period, that inspired the massacre.

The onus is on you to put up or shut up.

Ah HtAtD, you've lost it, you really have. So entrenched in the teachings of the Murdoch press that you're unable to think logically for yourself. All you're able to do is repeat ad nauseam what you're being told to believe.

But not a surprise. The day you ran to the Muslim thread to decry Waleed Ali's invitation to hear the rules committee rather than on the multiple AFL Rules threads said it all.

Baloo said:
"I have nothing. It's the consitution, it's the vibe, it's Mabo..."

Baloo said:
But not a surprise. The day you ran to the Muslim thread to decry Waleed Ali's invitation to hear the rules committee rather than on the multiple AFL Rules threads said it all.

The apologist who dismissed terrorism as a "perpetual irritant"? Perhaps we should think of Friday as a mosquito bite. What would he say to that suggestion?

(And he had no business being there.)

6 - 6 - 6, the number of the Left
We'll get Waleed to tell us what is best