Terrorist Attacks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist Attacks

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
This China blaming game is nonsense. So yes, wet markets and all that - not good. It happens elsewhere too, and it should be stopped. It's another shitty thing that humans do to animals and the planet.

China government response. Yes, at first the local authorities covered up. and then the national government covered up. Watch the miniseries Chernobyl, it's exactly about this. Lies that we tell about a disaster/problem are a debt that must be paid in the future.

Then we saw a real response and much more openness. Did we see everything? Probably not. It is China. Through pretty draconian lockdowns and social control they stopped it, at least to date.

But then we saw other governments around the world do much the same. Minimise the threat, worry more about the economy and "panic" and "fear". Its a pattern that we've seen time and time again. It's now March and we had two months to really prepare, we did not very much.

As for the Chinese buying out stuff in country towns, I'll believe it when someone here has firsthand accounts. I doubt its systemic and would be quickly stopped if it was.

Is the Chinese Government going to pay the debt for the disaster bought on by its lies and cover up? I think not. Much easier for the global media to blame the actions of Western governments as there are no repercussions of their reporting. Freedom of speech is not something that is necessarily a given under totalitarian regimes and dictatorships.

Of course they should carry a massive portion of the blame. We wouldn’t be in this position if they had have acted responsibly when first warned of the impending problem.

That’s not to say other governments haven’t responded poorly either. Many including our own have made grave mistakes. The cruise shipin Sydney last week a prime example.

I just wish they were never put in the position to make those mistakes. That’s on the Chinese Government. This thing should have been contained in Wuhan.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Herald Sun March 18

Busloads of people have been arriving in regional towns in recent days and stripping the shelves bare in supermarkets.

Reverend Melissa Clark, from St Mary’s in Woodend, told the Herald Sun local residents there were now unable to buy goods because people were descending on the town to buy groceries.

“A lot of regional towns are experiencing this,” she said.

“People from Melbourne and elsewhere are coming in and clearing out the supermarket.

“Buses of people have been coming in the last few days. People are coming from as far as Mornington.

“We just need a break. We love having tourists here in Woodend — but not supermarket tourists.”

Rev Clark said she was concerned for elderly people in the town and pregnant women.

“We have quite a few elderly people and women who will soon give birth and they cannot get the essentials they need,” she said.

“The shelves are empty. It doesn’t matter what time of day or night you go.

“I tried to get some supplies for elderly people in my congregation and the best I could do was a few frozen meals.”

Woodend, which has a population of around 5000, has one Coles in town.

Rev Clark said the situation had been replicated in other towns including Daylesford and Gisborne.

“We are a tight-knit community and we thrive on tourism but this is difficult,” Rev Clark said.

“We just need a couple of days to restock. The staff at Coles have been wonderful. They are having to deal with some difficult customers who are frustrated and they are doing a great job.”

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Is the Chinese Government going to pay the debt for the disaster bought on by its lies and cover up? I think not. Much easier for the global media to blame the actions of Western governments as there are no repercussions of their reporting. Freedom of speech is not something that is necessarily a given under totalitarian regimes and dictatorships.

Of course they should carry a massive portion of the blame. We wouldn’t be in this position if they had have acted responsibly when first warned of the impending problem.

That’s not to say other governments haven’t responded poorly either. Many including our own have made grave mistakes. The cruise shipin Sydney last week a prime example.

I just wish they were never put in the position to make those mistakes. That’s on the Chinese Government. This thing should have been contained in Wuhan.

The short answer is no, they won't pay reparations.

The global media did blame china for early mistakes and has given them credit for their control of the virus spread recently. Both these are valid.

And the media is right to criticise Western governments for shitty responses, and praise them for good responses. The virus is everywhere now so blaming China for it rather than dealing with it does no-one any good IMO.

I wish the virus had been contained in Wuhan too.

Yes their initial poor response deserves blame. Blame them and move on.

I'm not sure any country could have stopped this if the virus had originated elsewhere. We've seen the pattern - cover-up, focus too much on economy, try not to cause panic, shut-down too late.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
This is A2 Milk. Happened last year. Nothing to do with the current situation really, but nice try.
Doesnt make it right Baloo. Today tomorrow or last week. Its *smile* behaviour and should not be supported in any sense!

Actually shows the potential of these people.

The stories are out there so its probably closer to the truth than not.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
The short answer is no, they won't pay reparations.

The global media did blame china for early mistakes and has given them credit for their control of the virus spread recently. Both these are valid.

And the media is right to criticise Western governments for shitty responses, and praise them for good responses. The virus is everywhere now so blaming China for it rather than dealing with it does no-one any good IMO.

I wish the virus had been contained in Wuhan too.

Yes their initial poor response deserves blame. Blame them and move on.

I'm not sure any country could have stopped this if the virus had originated elsewhere. We've seen the pattern - cover-up, focus too much on economy, try not to cause panic, shut-down too late.
Agree, we do need to move on to deal with this for sure Antman. Priority one.

But.....

It does not eliminate China's role in this virus from beginning to end, let just see what the authorities end up with and if China has a role to play in the worlds destruction then hopefully they are held accountable in some way or another.

The truth will be found or hidden, deep in a muddy pond.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Doesnt make it right Baloo. Today tomorrow or last week. Its **** behaviour and should not be supported in any sense!
No one implied it was right. But at the time there wasn't a national pandemic and hoarding of basic essentials.

None of the stories have verifiable eye-witness accounts. One media company actually asked the supermarkets being mentioned if there were Chinese raids and they all said No. So it's more likely pure *smile*.

"these people". *smile* you're a real racist *smile*. With comment and the Chinese are the plague comment, I'll now make sure I never have to read your ugly posts again.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Agree, we do need to move on to deal with this for sure Antman. Priority one.

But.....

It does not eliminate China's role in this virus from beginning to end, let just see what the authorities end up with and if China has a role to play in the worlds destruction then hopefully they are held accountable in some way or another.

The truth will be found or hidden, deep in a muddy pond.

They had a role in the beginning, they may not have a role at the end. They may have a role in helping to control it. They have knowledge and have already sent medical teams to Italy.

If the world's destruction occurs then there will be no accountability for anyone.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
There will be some positives to come out of coronavirus. I'm hoping that the death, or at least a severe watering down, of political correctness is one of them.
It may be a desirable reversion to help public discourse but not sure how you see the catalyst for the change arising out of the current situation? In all media I have seen or heard this month can't recall anyone calling it out, whereas at other times Commentators are raising it on a periodic basis.
Out of curiosity, roughly what year do think was the last where political correctness was not predominant in public discourse? In other words how far back do you want to wind the clock?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The global media did blame china for early mistakes and has given them credit for their control of the virus spread recently.
I wonder what the global medias response would have been if the U.K. Aust. U.S.A. or Euro Govts. virus control measures had resorted to the Chinese method of flogging the *smile* out of their citizens for not complying to total lock down.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Doesnt make it right Baloo. Today tomorrow or last week. Its **** behaviour and should not be supported in any sense!

fortunately its only chinese clearing the shelves, and probably muslims. lock them all up and life can return to normal.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It may be a desirable reversion to help public discourse but not sure how you see the catalyst for the change arising out of the current situation? In all media I have seen or heard this month can't recall anyone calling it out, whereas at other times Commentators are raising it on a periodic basis.
Out of curiosity, roughly what year do think was the last where political correctness was not predominant in public discourse? In other words how far back do you want to wind the clock?

There's no room for *smile* in a crisis; straight talk is the order of the day.

I'd be comfortable going back to a time where e.g. someone identifying as another gender is regarded as a mental disorder. Leftist idealism doesn't work in the real world.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne