Terrorist Attacks

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
1,313
7
Coburgtiger said:
This echo chamber has become a little terrifying.
Ill tell you what is terrifying:
The fact that 207 innocent souls have perished at the hands of a barbaric 7th century ideology which is hell bent on domination
The images of destruction and grief
The image of a blood splattered statue of Christ amongst the wreckage
Worse still, the deafening silence of all the virtue signallers and do gooders!

Echo chamber my arse!
 
E

easy_tiger

Guest
SpaceAce said:
There needs to be a hard and decisive push back against this toxic PC culture and the leftist social justice warriors who propagate it. *smile* them all.


The push back against social justice?

Social Injustice?

I think the horse has bolted on that tug o war Spacey?
 

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
1,313
7
easy said:
The push back against social justice?

Social Injustice?

I think the horse has bolted on that tug o war Spacey?
Social justice in principle is a noble and virtuous notion. Our society was founded on this.

However when it is co-opted by a small cabal of well funded radical activists and used to pander to entitled minority groups and shut down free speech, then it becomes a dangerous weapon.
We still have time Easy.....unfortunately too many people in this country are sleep walking into oblivion.
 

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
2,651
34
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yeah, we're all plotting to kill Muslims. Terrifying.
Without rehashing of arguments here, we can probably think back to a very recent event in which Muslim's were targeted in our own backyard after a garbled right wing manifesto.

Best to cut off violent hate speech before it is reinforced.

SpaceAce said:
There needs to be a hard and decisive push back against this toxic PC culture and the leftist social justice warriors who propagate it. *smile* them all.
Worrying.
 
E

easy_tiger

Guest
SpaceAce said:
Social justice in principle is a noble and virtuous notion. Our society was founded on this.

However when it is co-opted by a small cabal of well funded radical activists and used to pander to entitled minority groups and shut down free speech, then it becomes a dangerous weapon.
We still have time Easy.....unfortunately too many people in this country are sleep walking into oblivion.
Right wing **** is heaps nastier than left wing ****. Heaps better funded and cabally too.

Have you tried the hors dervs at a young anarchists gig?

And the sleep walk to oblivion sounds like one of Steve Bannons ( speaking of nasty?)?
 

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
22,717
146
Melbourne
Coburgtiger said:
Without rehashing of arguments here, we can probably think back to a very recent event in which Muslim's were targeted in our own backyard after a garbled right wing manifesto.

Best to cut off violent hate speech before it is reinforced.
Which parts of the recent discussion did you find violent or hateful? Has anybody in this thread supported or advocated terrorism of any sort?
 

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
6,400
19
The fact is looking through this thread this year is the ones most alarmed and critical of what happened in NZ, are now silent.

I for one, am horrified by all the innocent people being murdered by nut jobs that 98% can’t relate to. However it’s not PC to stick up for Christian values and Western culture.
 

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
1,313
7
easy said:
Right wing sh!t is heaps nastier than left wing sh!t. Heaps better funded and cabally too.

Have you tried the hors dervs at a young anarchists gig?

And the sleep walk to oblivion sounds like one of Steve Bannons ( speaking of nasty?)?
Who said anything about being 'right wing'?? Thats now become a dirty label put onto anybody who has a conservative view and dares question the current narrative

Hors dervs?? Not sure what you mean there, but I did enjoy a plate of hors d'oeuvres at a function recently

We live in a society which is pathologically consumed with hedonistic crap like MAFS to even give a sh!t about geo-political and economic realities. THAT is walking into oblivion!
 

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
6,400
19
Brodders17 said:
As a white Australian i want to say i oppose the actions of the killers.
(I would also like to note I will consider any white Australian who does not publicly state this must support the actions of their fellow white Australians today.)
As a human will you oppose the actions of terrorists?
 

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
34,088
35
When I read these left vs right debates I feel like Mr Blonde as Stealers Wheel starts to play
 

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
22,717
146
Melbourne
Panthera Tigris said:
Media reports are suggesting that it is a small Islamist group that haven’t previously been thought of too much by Sri Lankan authorities. It seems largely to be a new group to Sri Lankan shores. I suppose we will find out in time, what links - if any (loose, formal or otherwise) - they have to ISIS militants.
Apologies, turns out it was that group after all.

Sri Lanka Blames Local Jihadist Group for Easter Sunday Blasts

Sri Lanka has blamed local jihadist group National Thowheed Jamath for one of Asia’s deadliest terrorist attacks in years, after confirming seven suicide bombers carried out the Easter Sunday blasts.

The death toll rose to 290 in coordinated blasts on Easter Sunday at churches and luxury hotels which targeted foreign tourists and Christians -- marking a shift from the violence that fueled a three-decade civil war on the Indian Ocean island.

Sri Lanka Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne pointed the finger of blame at the National Thowheed Jamath at a press conference in Colombo.
 

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2010
2,367
0
easy said:
Right wing sh!t is heaps nastier than left wing sh!t. Heaps better funded and cabally too.
I remember my Political Science class in 1st year Uni. We had a small scattering of self identifying Marxists in the class who thought Pol Pot, "had some good ideas" (in the context of his 'year zero' ideology). These were people who during early adulthood were involved in the Socialist Alliance. But when it became apparent that they were never going to gain any political influence by being part of the Socialist Alliance, some of these individuals joined the Greens as their vehicle to political influence.

So in that context, I don't accept an absolute claim that right wing sh!t is always necessarily nastier than left wing sh!t. Like i suggested earlier. Scratch just below the surface and you often discover these people are just as bigoted and prejudiced as the right wing nasties. Just that they hold a different set of prejudices.
 
E

easy_tiger

Guest
Panthera Tigris said:
I remember my Political Science class in 1st year Uni. We had a small scattering of self identifying Marxists in the class who thought Pol Pot, "had some good ideas" (in the context of his 'year zero' ideology). These were people who during early adulthood were involved in the Socialist Alliance. But when it became apparent that they were never going to gain any political influence by being part of the Socialist Alliance, some of these individuals joined the Greens as their vehicle to political influence.

So in that context, I don't accept an absolute claim that right wing sh!t is always necessarily nastier than left wing sh!t. Like i suggested earlier. Scratch just below the surface and you often discover these people are just as bigoted and prejudiced as the right wing nasties. Just that they hold a different set of prejudices.
Yeah fair enough.

I suppose having to chose between living on an island with stalin or hitler would be a tough one.

Anyway, its awful when innocent civilians lives get ended, whichever flavour, banner or religion.
 

22nd Man

Tiger Champion
Aug 29, 2011
4,370
23
Essex Heights
The Lankans have spent best part of three decades tearing themselves apart. Not sure that the civil war scars have healed over. the educated classes are still migrating in large numbers.

The military in most south Asian countries don't always work in lock step with the govt of the day. India has played both a destabilising and supporting role.

Those Columbo hotels have copped multiple attacks over the years. Attacks on international hotels are stock in trade of Islamic groups.
 

22nd Man

Tiger Champion
Aug 29, 2011
4,370
23
Essex Heights
One angle on the difference in reactions to NZ are
1 - perpetrator was one of us
2 - location was our friendliest ally and country most similar to us on virtually every score
3 - NZ largely terror free until then (place least likely to be a target?)

There have been some massive Muslim v Muslim bombings in / close to mosques with similiar death tolls. They attract minimal news coverage and little comment. (Reflects our western news bias....eg train derails in Pennsylvania, three die, makes evening news here. There would a train accident every week that big in India..zero coverage here... the biggest example of this bias was the Boston marathon bombing hysteria ...yanks are sort of like us, we have marathons...)
 

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
47,099
143
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/world/asia/sri-lanka-bombing-explosion.html

Extract:

• Sri Lanka’s security forces were warned at least 10 days before the bombings that the group planned suicide attacks against churches, but apparently took no action against it, indicating a catastrophic intelligence failure. Top government officials say the warning never reached them.

Looks like the cops ignored a warning. Then again, why would terrorists give a warning?
 

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
22,717
146
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/world/asia/sri-lanka-bombing-explosion.html

Extract:

• Sri Lanka’s security forces were warned at least 10 days before the bombings that the group planned suicide attacks against churches, but apparently took no action against it, indicating a catastrophic intelligence failure. Top government officials say the warning never reached them.

Looks like the cops ignored a warning. Then again, why would terrorists give a warning?
They were apparently tipped off by Indian intelligence three times, including Saturday and again ten minutes before the attack. They were even given names.

Apparently the IGP (Inspector-General of Police) was suspected of conspiring to assassinate the president, and was required to submit voice samples in February. And this is the guy in charge of the show! Wouldn't be surprised if he looked the other way.

I don't think this is going to be unravelled without outside help.
 

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
47,099
143
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
They were apparently tipped off by Indian intelligence three times, including Saturday and again ten minutes before the attack. They were even given names.
Why? I just don't get it.