The Adam Treloar situation and the AFLPA | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Adam Treloar situation and the AFLPA

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Agreeing a bit with the Big R of late... so what if Collingwinge are shopping him. No different to a player like Dunkley demanding to leave with 2 years to go. Plans change. They haven't said they won't honour his contact. Until that happens which is highly unlikely, what's it got to do with the AFLPA?
It looks very clear to me that the Skunks are looking for some club, any club to take him off their hands to also off-load as much of his contracted salary as possible. So it will NOT be them paying all of it. In fact, clearly in their interests to honour as little of that sum as they possibly get away with ... just need another desperate, gullible club to take the bait i.e. thinking that recruiting Tredders will bring that elusive and lucrative premiership flag. It hasn't worked for CFC, of course.

JozMan

Tiger Cub
Mar 16, 2013
Despite a contact, every single year clubs want to move on players. Treloar isn’t the first and won’t be the last contacted player a club wants to move on.

The reasons it’s such a hot topic is because no one expected it, he’s such a well known player and Collingwood are such a big club.

Unless they stopped paying him there’s no reason for the AFLPA to get involved.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
I'd be concerned, I don't agree with myself most of the time.

But this is actually one of the few areas of AFL life I have experience in. I've moved with a year to go on a contract and been sacked with a year to go. Couldn't really whinge about the second after doing the first.
I am a little, I don't agree with you most of the time either. :)

AFLPA: 'Hey Collingwood, stop shopping Adam, that's bullying and the media are writing mean stories hurting his feelings.'

Collingwood: 'we're not that happy with the stories either. Perhaps tell Adam's camp to stop leaking them'

AFLPA: 'Hey Doggies, let Dunkley out of his contract. He doesn't like playing in different positions and has a right to be happy.'

Doggies: 'Is that you Liam?'

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Agree

Treloar has been treated disgracefully by the Filth, he has twice had his contract backended so that they could get Dayne Beams and Daniel Wells, and now when he's due tp get $900,000 next season the Filth want to flick him :mad:
Grundy should be very nervous about his contract.
Not to mention what stress is being placed on their marriage. Imagine how his wife must be feeling now. I really doubt that she was intending to put his highly rewarding (with finally accessing big $$ backend deal) and secure (to '25) contract into jeopardy because the Skunks have tried to lever him out by claiming that he cannot possibly play up to his best with her accepting the Brisbane netball contract. So moving there with bub.

Awful manipulation and divisive pressure being imposed along with phone calls and whatever else is happening behind the scenes. Looks like victimisation to me. Now allegedly on media that Treloar is resigned to not being there in '21.

Sure, you'd think his manager and their legals would be a buffer, but if ever there were grounds for AFLPA to be coming in to bat for a member ...

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
But but but what about all the love and care and connectedness

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
It looks very clear to me that the Skunks are looking for some club, any club to take him off their hands to also off-load as much of his contracted salary as possible. So it will NOT be them paying all of it. In fact, clearly in their interests to honour as little of that sum as they possibly get away with ... just need another desperate, gullible club to take the bait i.e. thinking that recruiting Tredders will bring that elusive and lucrative premiership flag. It hasn't worked for CFC, of course.
Absolutely they are. Suns were allegedly willing but Adam didn't want to go - fair enough - and they've pulled the offer. Collingwinge are left holding the baby and losing the PR too. Might make other players less likely to go there in immediate future also. Still got nothing to do with the AFLPA.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Josh Dunkley is contracted for two years and wants to go to Essendon, Tom Hickey contracted next year and wants to go to Sydney. Joe Daniher and Brad Crouch wanted trades under contract last year, and they are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. The list of ones who sound out a move and find no option would also be long.

If the industry says tomorrow that a contract is a contract then so be it but while players and clubs treat them like insignificant details then neither party can be really aggrieved when the other seeks to break them.

Yeah. Contracts can always be renegotiated, as long as both parties agree. Can be broken if both parties agree. Becomes more complex in a salary capped AFL with capped lists as well of course. So Collingwood got some benefit from the backended Treloar contract at the time - but now they will likely lose him and still have a big chunk of salary in their cap which limits them now.. so there is always a cost.

Sad that it it's all got so nasty now though

LOL

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don't see Treloar as a victim because he had control the whole time and still does, and he has benefited in lots of ways from his dealings with the club.

He didn't have to agree to extend his contract and shift the money but he did it because it gave him great job security and the guarantee of really good money for several more years. The benefits to him in terms of protection from injury or loss of form, and the ability to grow his money are huge. Ask someone like Ben Brown how important that stuff is. He went from looking at earning 3 million bucks over the next four years to maybe 800k over the next two years and then who knows, in the space of about 4 months.

Treloar also maintains a position of strength in that with a contract he is in full control of his destiny. He can essentially name where he wants to play, whether it is Collingwood or anywhere else prepared to deal for him. Had he not had the extension he may well be in the same position he is now but without the safety net of a contract.

Swings and roundabouts both ways for mine.
Some good points, though I'm not sure Ben Brown is a good example, he knocked back a 3 year deal early in the season rumoured to be worth $750,000 over 3 years.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I could be well wrong but I have a feeling there is plenty that's not being said re this Treloar situation for a reason by the Pies & that's predominantly to protect Treloar's reputation.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yeah, that's my point. He knocked it back hoping for more and then had horrible personal circumstances, a disjointed season, loses form, his side turns to crap and all of a sudden his financial life has blown up. That's always the risk of having to run out a contract and negotiate another at the same time.

Treloar on the other hand had his club come to him while he was still under a fat contract and offer a fatter contract over a longer time as a mutual back scratching. Almost every player in the competition would love to be in his shoes with that deal, it's a level of security few players ever see. People are sort of talking like he is a victim of the extension and moving of money but that is far from the case no matter what happens next.
Fair enough.
I'd be disappointed if the RFC treated one of our players the way Collingwood are treating Treloar.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
None of us know the real story cept Adam & his club! How can anyone make that assessment?
That's true, only they known the finer details.
Make what assessment?
Treloar has publicly said that he backhanded his contract to help get Wells and Beams to the club, and that he wants to stay with Collingwood. I can only take him at his word.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
That's true, only they known the finer details.
Make what assessment?
That the Pies are treating him badly. So far we've only heard from one of the parties involved.
Find it highly intriguing that the Pies are looking to move on a seemingly quality player with 5 years left on a contract...

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
That the Pies are treating him badly. So far we've only heard from one of the parties involved.
Find it highly intriguing that the Pies are looking to move on a seemingly quality player with 5 years left on a contract...
I assume they are trying to shop him around because they are said to owe him 900k a season from next year, and they have made a hash of player contracts.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
They tried shopping him around last year without much luck. Treloar wasn't aware of it. Big ole lovable Nafe put his arm around him and said it's all media rubbish, we love you mate. Treloar is starting to come across as quite naïve

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
So what do Collingwood get out of it if they trade him but have to contribute healthily to his salary. Let’s say he’s on $900k and they trade him and contribute $300k. Ok, they’ve “saved” $600k but now have to replace him on the list. If it’s a kid from the draft then it’s $100k so fair enough it’s now a $500k saving but if they have to get another player from another club then that gunna eat up $400-500k of the $600k “saving”.

What am I missing here?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I could be well wrong but I have a feeling there is plenty that's not being said re this Treloar situation for a reason by the Pies & that's predominantly to protect Treloar's reputation.
Yeah i reckon too. Something amiss and to me always slightly disingenuous with his self-pontificating on AFL360

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
So what do Collingwood get out of it if they trade him but have to contribute healthily to his salary. Let’s say he’s on $900k and they trade him and contribute $300k. Ok, they’ve “saved” $600k but now have to replace him on the list. If it’s a kid from the draft then it’s $100k so fair enough it’s now a $500k saving but if they have to get another player from another club then that gunna eat up $400-500k of the $600k “saving”.

What am I missing here?
Ralphy reporting Pies only willing to $00k of his salary

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I would presume the AFLPA, like any other union, would prefer to say anything about a particular individual's situation direct and not in public. I presume they would back Treloar if Collingwood wanted to unilaterally break the contract.

When a player tries to break a contract that is not for the AFLPA to deal with, that would be for their employer to jump up and down about.

DS