The Adam Treloar situation and the AFLPA | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Adam Treloar situation and the AFLPA

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
I'm trying to think of one but I can't ever remember a contract being influenced by personal relationships of any kind to be honest.

Just as well for us because if someone sat in a Punt Road office and said "I dunno about this long term deal for Dustin, he's pretty close to his old man who is stuck in New Zealand, might not play his best footy because of that," then we might be a bit less happy right now.

This whole argument is cart before horse stuff to me though. It is pure speculation as to what his footy will look like until it happens.

I think it is a very slippery slope to start to use an employee's family life to make predictions about their capacity to do their job.

I recall hearing something about Treloar changing his mind to Pies from Tigers as Eddie gave his Girlfriend a job. Wonder if the job included Netball at Collingwood ?

I assume the Netball Team have a Salary Cap, wonder if this should be included in Collingwoods AFL Cap space if Treloars Partner was getting overs or additional promo work...

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I recall hearing something about Treloar changing his mind to Pies from Tigers as Eddie gave his Girlfriend a job. Wonder if the job included Netball at Collingwood ?

I assume the Netball Team have a Salary Cap, wonder if this should be included in Collingwoods AFL Cap space if Treloars Partner was getting overs or additional promo work...

Lurks the girlfriend your talking about isn't the Netballer, she is his 2nd girlfriend while at the pies.
The one that got a job thanks to Collingwood isn't with him. 20201116_165013.jpg 20201116_165003.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

The_General

Be the reason someone believes in the good people.
May 4, 2004
Didn't he train with us for a period before eventually getting drafted by the Dawgs? Have a vague memory of this
He actually wanted to come to us, if he couldn't go to Sydney iirc. We couldn't promise him that, as we didn't think he was worth our first pick, and didn't think he'd be there at our second.

Wonder how that turned out in hindsight.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Treloar falls in love very easily.

Treloar’s decision to pursue a move to the Dogs was down to the positive talks he held with Beveridge who centred the conversation around his family.

“I chose to meet with the Bulldogs and I fell in love straight away after chatting with Bevo (Luke Beveridge) and Sam Power (list manager),” Treloar told SEN Drive.

The_General

May 4, 2004
I think it is a very slippery slope to start to use an employee's family life to make predictions about their capacity to do their job.
Used to work for a very, very large multinational. They held management training every year on various factors.

This type of decision - we were told by our company lawyers - would open the business up to discrimination lawsuits.

Treating someone differently, offering promotions or withholding duties because of someones family commitments
was deemed wrong. Where Collingwood have protected themselves possibly, is by discussing it with the player (we
were told not to discuss this - unless raised by the employee first).

Regardless of how the discussion started however, once the "employee" says "no, I'll be fine thanks" we were under strict instruction
to give that person every opportunity to perform whatever role they wanted to go for. It's interesting how the AFL seems to skirt the outside
of these types of scenarios without repercussions.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Tiger Legend
Feb 3, 2017
Used to work for a very, very large multinational. They held management training every year on various factors.

This type of decision - we were told by our company lawyers - would open the business up to discrimination lawsuits.

Treating someone differently, offering promotions or withholding duties because of someones family commitments
was deemed wrong. Where Collingwood have protected themselves possibly, is by discussing it with the player (we
were told not to discuss this - unless raised by the employee first).

Regardless of how the discussion started however, once the "employee" says "no, I'll be fine thanks" we were under strict instruction
to give that person every opportunity to perform whatever role they wanted to go for. It's interesting how the AFL seems to skirt the outside
of these types of scenarios without repercussions.

That is the question - how would they have known unless Treloar brought it up? And why would he bring it up if it wasn't going to be an issue for him? He wasn't moving house, they still new wear to send the xmas card.

Many posters are suggesting its none of the clubs business, Treloar appears to have made it their business.

The_General

May 4, 2004
That is the question - how would they have known unless Treloar brought it up? And why would he bring it up if it wasn't going to be an issue for him? He wasn't moving house, they still new wear to send the xmas card.

Many posters are suggesting its none of the clubs business, Treloar appears to have made it their business.
It's not like it would have been a secret, particularly when Collingwood has it's own club for whom she played....

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I still can't understand this attempt to pin a football list management balls-up on the wife of a player.

It's bizarre, frankly.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I still can't understand this attempt to pin a football list management balls-up on the wife of a player.

It's bizarre, frankly.
Bizarre and gutless. Poor form.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Tiger Legend
Feb 3, 2017
I'm sure they have been privvy to a lot more information about TReloar than the public are aware of. They have based their decision on the value they think they will get from him in terms of performance. Which is entirely their perogative. They are paying him x and don't think he is worth it. Not sure why they chose the words they did about his wife and their decision to move apart. They didn't need to bring anything else into it. Did it start from speculation why they were shopping him around or did Treloar bring it up as a reason they were getting rid of him? Or was it Guy in the interview on Fox that raised it? Or did the Pies themselves use it when backgrounding journalists as to why he was being traded?

It's cost them a lot more than just the portion of his salary they will be paying.

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

May 4, 2004
Can you say that for sure? Given she no longer played for that side since stopping to have a child?
C'mon, are you that naive that if a player wanted to move clubs, that the originating club wouldn't have to give them a clearance or wouldn't have heard through the grapevine that they were going to leave that club? Eg not returning from maternity leave