The AFL Has Bent us over. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The AFL Has Bent us over.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Listening to KB and Greg Denham on SEN.KB mentioned that he believes Scodia was our new Major Sponsor.Greg Denham then said that the AFL cut us off at the pass and convinced Scodia to Sponsor the Gold Coast instead.Well if thats the case then stuff you Andy D. :mad:

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Just heard that as well.

If true that is shocking. These new teams are getting looked after well enough without the AFL stealing potential sponsors from other sides.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
They are actually partnered with GWS.

Scary if true, Denham isn't someone who makes things up.

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
It's frustrating when things like this make you so mad, yet there's nothing we can do about it.

All heil Hitler!!

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
If this is true.... WOW!

How reliable is the source gents?

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
The club announced that the orange in the jumper depicts a western sunset and the charcoal the granite of the mountains. GWS also announced its first major co-sponsor, Czech car maker Škoda.

Škoda will also become the naming rights sponsor for the soon-to-be-redeveloped Sydney Showgrounds' main arena, the main base for Giants games from 2012.

Looks like it could have possibly been the Škoda Tigers and our training base the Škoda Centre at Punt Road... :veryupset

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
No wonder Nisson dropped off their sponsorship.

This is the second time we have had AFL interference when looking for sponsors, if this is true, of course.

Somehow, you don't see the AFL poaching sponsors away from Collingwood, or any other club for that matter.

Perhaps the AFL itself can sponsor us now until we find a new deal?

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
TOT70 said:
Somehow, you don't see the AFL poaching sponsors away from Collingwood, or any other club for that matter.

Not really poaching a sponsor, but earlier on Greg Denham said that the AFL offered $7 million to the Hawks to get of Tassie so Norf could play down there!!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Dimi and his mates couldn't get more crap on their hands if they went down to the local cattle yards and spent the day rolling around in the holding pens.
Backroom manipulators of the highest order.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
And I thought FIFA was corrupt. First it was Virgin for Gold Coast and now Skoda for GWS. Both sponsorships have been heavily influenced by those at AFL headquarters.

The AFL are their to look after the interests of ALL clubs.

March and Gale need to speak out if this is true regardless of the backlash that we might face from Vlad.

The only person who has the balls to speak out against the AFL is Kennett. And even though it has put him off side with the AFL he still has been able to get the best result for Hawthorn. Classic example is the Tassie deal when the AFL wanted North to move down there.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Unbelievable if true.

The AFL's disdain for the traditional clubs and its preferential treatment of the new clubs is staggering.

premiers2011

Eat 'em Alive!!
Oct 22, 2007
I heard it too.
Reading between the lines KB knew what had happened but said something like I hear Skoda is going to be the Tigers new major sponsor, knowing GWS had announced it last week that they had alrady signed them so Greg Denham could make a point of it.
Clever by KB, got it out there but didn't look like a Tiger whinger and still got to stay on his beloved AFL admins good side.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Tigers of Old said:
I heard the Denham/KB conversation.
Are we sure KB simply didn't make a mistake when he announced Skoda were going to sponsor Richmond?
I'm not convinced.
Its more what GD claimed ToO,That peevs me off.Isn,t the AFL meant to look after at all clubs interests?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Its more what GD claimed ToO,That peevs me off.

Did Denham suggest we'd been scuppered skipper?
I didn't get the sense that anything sinister had occurred, merely that the Skoda had gone with GWS.
Bartlett didn't seem on very sure footing to me and didn't make a big deal of it after Denham said that.

Our admin are under pressure to find a sponsor regardless. Hope something is announced soon.

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
What's the latest with our sponsorship situation?

We were about to sign up Krispy Creme but they've pulled the cream out of their doughnuts and packing up and leaving Australia. Nothing is going our way.

ZeroGame

Tiger Champion
Jun 19, 2006
Elwood
What makes it interesting is that GWS aren't in the competition next year, so if they were wanting exposure in 2011, they aren't going to get much with GWS