The AFL Has Bent us over. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The AFL Has Bent us over.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
capitaltige said:
Its not unusual for clubs to be persuing a sponsorship from a company at the same time and one missing out (same thing happened with Mission Foods not long ago where Melbourne and Western Bulldogs were fighting it out).

Putting myself in the shoes of a Skoda exec, I can see why they would see more value in being a naming sponsor of GWS as opposed to us, very much doubt that the AFL would have had any inteferance in the process and will wait to see some firm proof that they did before becoming hysterical!

Nevertheless it would explain why we seemed to have a sponsor lined up and now we're still without one.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
If this is true then Hitler should be marched out the door, but I'm guessing he would be pretty smart about how he played his cards or what role the AFL played, but surely the AFL must be seen to be independent, but the recent concessions, given to the incoming clubs to ensure there success really clouds the whole issue.

Unfortunately I wouldn't trust Vlad as far as I could throw him and with a waste line like his that would be very far. Too many snakes in the grass and too many hidden agenda's with the emergence of the GC and GWS.

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
I also heard SEN this morning & if this is true then its a disgrace & I really want to hear from Gary or Benny about it.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
AZZAMOOT said:
I also heard SEN this morning & if this is true then its a disgrace & I really want to hear from Gary or Benny about it.

Same, and no word mincing. I want a Kennettesque response.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The_General said:
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'll jump in.
Denhams said that we were looking like announcing skoda as our major sponsor when
someone in the Afl stepped in between.

His words were "unfortunately for the poor Tigers, they were headed off at the pass".

Yeah I guess it could have been construed that way. Still thought it was a bit ambiguous.
If it's true though it definitely needs to be addressed further.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
disappointed if benny and/or march didn't do or say anything about it if true. eddie or kennett wouldn't let this happen without a fight.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Harry said:
disappointed if benny and/or march didn't do or say anything about it if true. eddie or kennett wouldn't let this happen without a fight.

I'll back Benny in here.

If this did occur, I'll bet we are getting some sort of underhand deal from the AFL as compo.

Let's face it, Vlad cannot afford to have either GC or GWS without a major sponsor early in their existence. What sort of a message would that send the community about supporting them? He would have been deserate to get someone on board there.

If the AFL really offered the Hawks $7 million to leave Tassie for the Roos, you can bet we will get something out of this.

duki

Tiger Rookie
Apr 11, 2009
Has anybody seen any news articles on this? Tend to think somthing this big would have been leeked, and storys about us sell newspapers!

I can't see them doing this to a club $4 mil in debt and without a major sponsor

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
duki said:
Has anybody seen any news articles on this? Tend to think somthing this big would have been leeked, and storys about us sell newspapers!

I can't see them doing this to a club $4 mil in debt and without a major sponsor

You'd think Greg Denham at least would pen an article if there was something to it.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If there are any issues between RFC and the AFL over this issue then its much better to be handled by our managment behind closed doors and away from the media . Just because we don't hear about things doesn't mean they are not happening .

Gary March said a week ago that sponsorship arrangements should be announced before the end of the year and that he expected sponsorship dollars to be greater than 2010 .

I prefer to trust that for the moment rather than some pretty vague statements from a couple of people in the media.

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Tigers of Old said:
You'd think Greg Denham at least would pen an article if there was something to it.

Therefore if there was nothing to it, Denham would keep his mouth and pen closed. Interesting indeed.

miastar

I'm a llama!
Nov 20, 2003
Don't know why we don't go after Tiger Airways!!!! When Qantas was the AFL preferred airline other airlines were Taboo - except of course Emirates - the old Collingwood exeception to every rule!

Now that Virgin are on the sponsorship scene why cant we go after Tiger?

Tiger_4_Life

Grimesey!
Mar 30, 2009
Melbourne
miastar said:
Don't know why we don't go after Tiger Airways!!!! When Qantas was the AFL preferred airline other airlines were Taboo - except of course Emirates - the old Collingwood exeception to every rule!

Now that Virgin are on the sponsorship scene why cant we go after Tiger?

Gary March said that this is not a possibility as Tiger do not see the sponsoring of an AFL team being part of their marketing plans.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Remember early this year when Benny went to Greedy D to ask about changing the Saints game which was a Richmond home game back to the G and Greedy changed it back again just because Caro announced it in the media?

That was a real petty and low thing to do by him.

No respect.