The Beer thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Beer thread

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
easy said:
great northern really sh!ts me off.

half the pubs I go to suddenly have it instead of XXXX gold,

which has been the best mid strength beer north of the Murray forever

wish thay'de call a spade a spade, and call it Southern Pretender, or Cheap sh!t Market Share, or something.

great northern? *smile*

:eek:ld

agree 100%, cant s5tand the *smile*.

Club even had it free @ JDM a few years ago, i paid for my draught all night

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
taztiger4 said:
the function normally has Corona, Draught & the other sh!te
I like the sound of the Other *smile*, is that an Irish brew?

Tazzytiger

Tiger Cub
Mar 1, 2008
Ian4 said:
good thread.

i'm a beer traditionalist. not into craft beer at all. when i'm at the pub, it is carlton draught 95% of the time. I might have a furphy or 150 lashes from time to time, but carlton draught always has and always will be my pub beer of choice.

at home, for many years it was pure blonde, but I have sorta gone off it since they changed the recipe. i still drink it occasionally, but its not my home beer of choice anymore. a few years ago, i went to Hobart for Norf v Richmond. that weekend, a friend of mine (who is from there) introduced me to the best beer i have ever tasted in my life. and since then I have been obsessed with it. problem is, it is not sold in Melbourne. I'm not sure why as it the oldest continually brewed beer in Australia. and its delicious. But luckily enough for me, I am able to order it online. the name of the beer is Cascale Pale Ale. :love

as for travelling, in europe my beer of choice is Amstel or Heineken. In Asia, its Singha or Tiger. I didn't like American beer when i first went over 20 years ago. but my pallet has since changed and all the main brands are nice enough.

As for the region with the worst beer, its Mexico by the length of the flemington straight. Corona, Sol, etc, all garbage. You know its sh!t if you have to add a lemon or a lime to a beer. as far as I am concerned Corona is a girls drink... the beer you drink when you're not a real beer drinker. Have you noticed how scotch or bourbon drinkers always go for Corona when their drink of choice isn't an option? I rest my Case.

And just to repeat, Cascade Pale Ale is the best beer ever made. If there was a god, this would be his beer of choice.
I always said that if I was Rich I'd drink Pale Ale. We Tasmanians used to call it Cascade Green. They have changed the recipe and taste a bit over the years and also dropped the alcohol level but I remember being a 16 yo navy recruit drinking some American Sailors under the table on this Brew

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tazzytiger said:
I always said that if I was Rich I'd drink Pale Ale. We Tasmanians used to call it Cascade Green. They have changed the recipe and taste a bit over the years and also dropped the alcohol level but I remember being a 16 yo navy recruit drinking some American Sailors under the table on this Brew

Shame they don't brew Boags Strongarm still.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Went to a free grog party at a city bar and there was only craft beer on tap... This normally concerns me as I can't go a full session on craft beers but lucked into one called Cloud Catcher? Which was more lager than pale ale and it was still going down well enough that I even bought one when the tab was shut off.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Went to a free grog party at a city bar and there was only craft beer on tap... This normally concerns me as I can't go a full session on craft beers but lucked into one called Cloud Catcher?
*smile* craft beer. Glorified over priced home brew.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

we live in lucky times where you can order anything online at the drop of a hat. my beer fridge is stocked full of Cascade Pale Ale.

Platinum member

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 30, 2015
Reservoir
Was in Darwin last week... hotel I was staying at gave me 3 vouchers for free pots of iron jack in their sports bar... safe to say I left two on the counter.. horrid drink.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
In winter i like a dark ale, there's a Belgian beer called Chimay Blue, it's made by Trappist Monks, it's very nice.
It's 9% so i don't drink to many of them. A couple of them and then a glass of red goes down very well.

Reactions: 2 users

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
Over 40 now and can't stand the hangover ++ from all the additives in Carlton, VB etc. A total joke that this country's food laws don't require brewers to state the ingredients.
Anyway, of the usual Australian macro-beers, XXXX Bitter (the red cans) is the best I've had. Perfectly suits sessions in hotter climates. And Dan Murphys has recently restricted slab purchases to QLD only....:mad:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Over 40 now and can't stand the hangover ++ from all the additives in Carlton, VB etc. A total joke that this country's food laws don't require brewers to state the ingredients.
Anyway, of the usual Australian macro-beers, XXXX Bitter (the red cans) is the best I've had. Perfectly suits sessions in hotter climates. And Dan Murphys has recently restricted slab purchases to QLD only....:mad:

Tooheys New is no additives TJ

I have a nomination for the worst beer in Australia - The new Stone and Wood Garden Ale (only the stone and wood lager is drinkable IMO).

It tastes like its brewed on their nanas camellias, with their nanas perfume sloshed in the vat as well

I bought a 6 pack and after 1 stubby, I rang up my mother in law and asked her around for a drink.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I have a nomination for the worst beer in Australia -

worth a separate debate about about the worst beers. everyone knows how much I hate Corona. But Australian beers? Not sure if I can go past West End Draught. But I always have to have one every time I'm in Adelaide for the lols.