The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Screenshot_20220717-135118_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220717-135131_Samsung Internet.jpg18 picks later.
How can Sydney spot a talented kid from all the way from WA but we struggle with one 2 hours from punt Rd?
How many games do our recruiting team watch especially with kids going in the 1st to 3rd round?
Too many misses. Can't blame Sydney's Academy on this one.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
View attachment 16002View attachment 1600318 picks later.
How can Sydney spot a talented kid from all the way from WA but we struggle with one 2 hours from punt Rd?
How many games do our recruiting team watch especially with kids going in the 1st to 3rd round?
17 of 18 clubs passed on Warner at least once in that draft. The only club not to was West Coast and that was because their first pick was 49!

*smile* me, even Sydney, the club that ultimately drafted him took three, yes three! Players before him.

Reactions: 8 users
You sound utterly deranged zips give it a spell.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Might be a case of good development.
An area we seem to struggling at the moment

Reactions: 3 users
Dow is starting to look like a bust in fact along with RCD and Martyn our future midfield drafting is starting to look like a bit of a complete F Up.

Last edited:
17 of 18 clubs passed on Warner at least once in that draft. The only club not to was West Coast and that was because their first pick was 49!

*smile* me, even Sydney, the club that ultimately drafted him took three, yes three! Players before him.
That's the point
We use 1st rounders and they get delisted while clubs find quality with later picks.

That's the point
We use 1st rounders and they get delisted while clubs find quality with later picks.
No, that is not the point. The point is no club predicted Warner would turn out the way he has, even the club that eventually took him in Sydney. A large part of recruiting is down to pure luck.

Speaking of finding quality with later picks, we went on to take Cumberland with pick 43 and Ralphsmith with pick 46 in that same draft. Better than even chance both of them will have rising star nominations by Tuesday evening.

That's the point
EVERY SINGLE CLUB have 1st round busts and find draft gems late.

Convenient to forget that Grimes, Broad, Lambert, Baker, Short, Pickett would walk into any teams 22 were all effectively rookie picks - Broad a very late ND selection.

Not to mention the other rookies Butler, Castagna, Soldo, Townsend all made major contributions to our premierships.

This narrative that EVERY draft selection must succeed is total BS.

Every time we lose games, there are massive overreactions... Although I agree that these losses were despicable.

Have a nap Groupie.

Reactions: 11 users

All a ploy to get the better Dow to Punt Rd. I'm putting money on our VFL team next year!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd clear Martyn. RCD and maybe just keep Dow from that lot. They're all likely to be busts. No point persevering with them.

Reactions: 1 user
EVERY SINGLE CLUB have 1st round busts and find draft gems late.

Convenient to forget that Grimes, Broad, Lambert, Baker, Short, Pickett would walk into any teams 22 were all effectively rookie picks - Broad a very late ND selection.

Not to mention the other rookies Butler, Castagna, Soldo, Townsend all made major contributions to our premierships.

This narrative that EVERY draft selection must succeed is total BS.

Every time we lose games, there are massive overreactions... Although I agree that these losses were despicable.

Have a nap Groupie.
Yep, compare tigers to blues and they are worse. . How are stocker, Dow, obrien, philp, kemp going? All first rounders.

Who’s on the chopping block/ pending retirement and a guess at their salaries that would be freed up.
AFL average salary around $380k
I’m only guessing the salaries, someone might have a more educated estimate

Certainties
Caddy. $450k (confirmed)
Lambert $450k OOC RFA (injury)
Edwards $450k OOC UFA (age)

Probables
Aarts $150k OOC
Parker $150k OOC UFA
RCD $150k OOC (trade ?)
Martyn $125k OOC

Possibles
but doubt they both go. Both OOC at seasons end. Paycut?
Cotch $600k OOC UFA
Jack R $600k OOC UFA
(Restructured contract/ length to accommodate Tom Lynch)

Our draft picks as they stand
19 ( from NM),

We have no 3rd, 4th round picks

Trade bait ?
RCD
Castagna (contacted to 2023)
Soldo (need another ruckman though, does it make sense to trade him out to get another more mobile ruck in?)
Nyoun OOC UFA
not much currency with these blokes

Reactions: 1 users
Blair's project will be to rebuild the midfield. He has been hamstrung over the last few years by our success making the salary cap incredibly tight.

Bakes, Shai and Shorty should only be pinch hitting in the midfield. If Cotch doesn't play on next year Graham will be our second best mid after Dion. Dusty even if he stays (hopefully he does) will probably be more forward.

I think if we don't get a decent mid or two in we could really fall off a cliff next year. I would trade our first for a decent number two mid if we can. Otherwise we could become non competitive given Sonsie is our only real devolvping mid.

Reactions: 2 users
Retire: Caddy, Lambert, Edwards, Cotchin

Delist: Aarts, Parker, Martyn

Trade in: Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn, D.Fogarty, swap of picks

Trade out: Short, Graham, Martin, swap of picks

Unrestricted free agent: Elliott

B: Grimes Tarrant Vlastuin
HB: D.Rioli Gibcus Baker
C: McIntosh Hopper Pickett
HF: Bruhn Lynch Bolton
F: Riewoldt Fogarty Elliott
FOLL: Nankervis, Taranto, Prestia