The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Blair's project will be to rebuild the midfield. He has been hamstrung over the last few years by our success making the salary cap incredibly tight.

Bakes, Shai and Shorty should only be pinch hitting in the midfield. If Cotch doesn't play on next year Graham will be our second best mid after Dion. Dusty even if he stays (hopefully he does) will probably be more forward.

I think if we don't get a decent mid or two in we could really fall off a cliff next year. I would trade our first for a decent number two mid if we can. Otherwise we could become non competitive given Sonsie is our only real devolvping mid.
Agree with all that except the #2 mid. Gotta be an alpha. Strike mid. Pay up.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean what's the point in even discussing trading Short when he signed a 5 year deal about 7 weeks ago?

Might as well discuss trading in Cripps and Petracca while you're at it.

Reactions: 4 users
Who’s on the chopping block/ pending retirement and a guess at their salaries that would be freed up.
AFL average salary around $380k
I’m only guessing the salaries, someone might have a more educated estimate

Certainties
Caddy. $450k (confirmed)
Lambert $450k OOC RFA (injury)
Edwards $450k OOC UFA (age)

Probables
Aarts $150k OOC
Parker $150k OOC UFA
RCD $150k OOC (trade ?)
Martyn $125k OOC

Possibles
but doubt they both go. Both OOC at seasons end. Paycut?
Cotch $600k OOC UFA
Jack R $600k OOC UFA
(Restructured contract/ length to accommodate Tom Lynch)

Our draft picks as they stand
19 ( from NM),

We have no 3rd, 4th round picks

Trade bait ?
RCD
Castagna (contacted to 2023)
Soldo (need another ruckman though, does it make sense to trade him out to get another more mobile ruck in?)
Nyoun OOC UFA
not much currency with these blokes

Not much relevance unless you include the increased salaries we need to pay. i.e. Bakes, Rioli, Short, Bolton, Balta etc etc.

Not much relevance unless you include the increased salaries we need to pay. i.e. Bakes, Rioli, Short, Bolton, Balta etc etc.
Fair point. We have a few OOC this year. Just trying to ascertain what TPP May be available

Miller, Pickett, Rioli x 2, Baker, Cumberland, Stack, Ross, Nyuon. Apart from DRioli, Baker maybe Pickett (payrises?) the others still fringe players at this time, I wouldn’t expect them to be due significant increases

Balta and Bolton contracted to 2023 will no doubt be due for a pay rise.
Short UFA 2027. Money already accomodated..
Tom Lynch back-ended contract payment increases as well.

Interested to know what people think the value of Hopper is?

IMO I doubt anyone would pay enough to give GWS band 1 compo, probably band 2 (end of 1st round) so if we traded just our 1st, does that get him? Obviously depends on what number that 1st falls on. Taranto worth more IMO due to being able to play multiple positions.

I'd love to find a way to get either Brisbanes 1st or the Bombers 2nd (both will want to downgrade them for points), upgrading our 2nd from 30ish to around 20ish. There looks like there will be several very good prospects around the 20 mark this year, and would result in bringing in either Hopper or Taranto and 7 picks inside the top 30 in 2 years, a good way to rebuild on the run.

View attachment 16002View attachment 1600318 picks later.
How can Sydney spot a talented kid from all the way from WA but we struggle with one 2 hours from punt Rd?
How many games do our recruiting team watch especially with kids going in the 1st to 3rd round?
Too many misses. Can't blame Sydney's Academy on this one.
as you are the expert, can you tell me which premiership stars the Swans picked before Shai Bolton? or which gun they picked before Noah Balta?
And I am guessing their rookie pick before Liam Baker must getting close to 100 games by now? or at least 50?

also, as was mentioned, Warner was their 4th pick that draft. who else did they get? if they ranked 3 others before him, that draft must have really set them up.

Reactions: 3 users
I think Hopper is the priority as it's the area that needs fixing most. Having watched Gold Coast a bit more recently, it's the role that Rowell is now playing for them. he's the inside bull that hunts the ball, shovels it out any which way he can to the side of the pack that is to the advantage for the runners. Cripps does it at the Blues, Oliver does it at the Dees. We have nobody doing this, and we just have a bunch of outside ball watchers hoping the ball pops out their way, otherwise we rely on back half turnover.

Reactions: 8 users
as you are the expert, can you tell me which premiership stars the Swans picked before Shai Bolton? or which gun they picked before Noah Balta?
And I am guessing their rookie pick before Liam Baker must getting close to 100 games by now? or at least 50?

also, as was mentioned, Warner was their 4th pick that draft. who else did they get? if they ranked 3 others before him, that draft must have really set them up.
Allow me.

- in 2016 they took Oliver Florent(11) and Will Hayward(21)
- 2017 they took Matthew Ling (14)
- in 2017 rookie draft they took Angus Styles (0 games btw) before we took Baker.
- 2019 draft Sydney took Dylan Stephens at pick 5, Will Gould at pick 26, Elijah Taylor at pick 26 (delisted same year, might even be in prison now?) then finally Warner at pick 39.

For reference we took Dow(20), Cumberland(43), Martyn(44) and Ralphsmith at 46

This is fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Allow me.

- in 2017 rookie draft they took Angus Styles (0 games btw) before we took Baker.
- 2019 draft Sydney took Dylan Stephens at pick 5, Will Gould at pick 26, Elijah Taylor at pick 26 (delisted same year, might even be in prison now?) then finally Warner at pick 39.

This is fun.
It looks like Zigs is enhancing his drafting reputation once again haha. Of course we want our recruiters to nail every pick but it simply isn’t going to happen. I think RCD has the tools but he just doesn’t seem to want it badly enough. How do recruiters factor that in ???

Allow me.

This is fun.
Wow. i hadnt checked before I posted, but it looks like the Swans only got about 1 right in those 3 years.

Who’s on the chopping block/ pending retirement and a guess at their salaries that would be freed up.
AFL average salary around $380k
I’m only guessing the salaries, someone might have a more educated estimate

Certainties
Caddy. $450k (confirmed)
Lambert $450k OOC RFA (injury)
Edwards $450k OOC UFA (age)

Probables
Aarts $150k OOC
Parker $150k OOC UFA
RCD $150k OOC (trade ?)
Martyn $125k OOC

Possibles
but doubt they both go. Both OOC at seasons end. Paycut?
Cotch $600k OOC UFA
Jack R $600k OOC UFA
(Restructured contract/ length to accommodate Tom Lynch)

Our draft picks as they stand
19 ( from NM),

We have no 3rd, 4th round picks

Trade bait ?
RCD
Castagna (contacted to 2023)
Soldo (need another ruckman though, does it make sense to trade him out to get another more mobile ruck in?)
Nyoun OOC UFA
not much currency with these blokes
Funny lambo is RFA , doesn’t that imply he’s in top tier 25% salary ,,,,that’d be >450 then ~600 I’d think

Retire: Caddy, Lambert, Edwards, Cotchin

Delist: Aarts, Parker, Martyn

Trade in: Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn, D.Fogarty, swap of picks

Trade out: Short, Graham, Martin, swap of picks

Unrestricted free agent: Elliott

B: Grimes Tarrant Vlastuin
HB: D.Rioli Gibcus Baker
C: McIntosh Hopper Pickett
HF: Bruhn Lynch Bolton
F: Riewoldt Fogarty Elliott
FOLL: Nankervis, Taranto, Prestia
INTER: Balta, Broad, Sonsie, Cumberland
EMERG: Stack, Ralphsmith, Ross, Soldo

B: Nyuon Mansell
HB: Brown Miller Stack
C: Ralphsmith Ross Banks
HF: Clarke Bauer
F: Colina Ryan M.Rioli
FOLL: Soldo, Collier-Dawkins, Dow
INTER: Castagna
As’if we’d trade short out , it always surprises me how many dh underrate him, likely finish top 3in bf , wouldn’t even surprise me if he won it ,,,,again , and he’s rated so highly internally that he may very well be next captain , I don’t see how dusty plays elsewhere give size of his contract

Reactions: 1 user
Allow me.

This is fun.
Is Dylan Stephens any good? Pick 5 is obviously pretty high.