The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
If he was any good they wouldve kept him.
He is a dime a dozen footballer.
Another 1st pick
B Ellis was taken pick 15 in the 2011 draft. To date, he has played 231 games which is the most of ANY player taken in the national draft that year, second only to Luke Bruest of any player recruited that year. Granted there were better players drafted that year (Greene, Neale, Breust) but not many.

Ellis was a fantastic first round pick.

Reactions: 29 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
B Ellis was taken pick 15 in the 2011 draft. To date, he has played 231 games which is the most of ANY player taken in the national draft that year, second only to Luke Bruest of any player recruited that year. Granted there were better players drafted that year (Greene, Neale, Breust) but not many.

Ellis was a fantastic first round pick.
Brandon Ellis will become a 300 game player and has proven to be a quality player and person
3 years into a 5 year contract and looking like a great get for GC and should continue another 2-3 years after his contract is finished

still has 100 more games in him

Reactions: 13 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Brandon Ellis will become a 300 game player and has proven to be a quality player and person
3 years into a 5 year contract and looking like a great get for GC and should continue another 2-3 years after his contract is finished

still has 100 more games in him
Interesting. He will probably be player 9-15 in talent / output on the field any week but super durable and so far seems to have not had any serious injuries. Must do a lot right professionally to have that consistency of output whilst never being a star. As a second round pick this would be outstanding - I guess in first round picks people are looking for match winning qualities over consistency and durability to rate it as a quality pick. It’s probably a well above average return though in the pick 6-18 range.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Interesting. He will probably be player 9-15 in talent / output on the field any week but super durable and so far seems to have not had any serious injuries. Must do a lot right professionally to have that consistency of output whilst never being a star. As a second round pick this would be outstanding - I guess in first round picks people are looking for match winning qualities over consistency and durability to rate it as a quality pick. It’s probably a well above average return though in the pick 6-18 range.
If you get a 300 game player at pick #15 you take that every day

The main issue with Ellis has always been his floating kicks that get too much air , If he had a laser kick he would be a weapon

Reactions: 1 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
One of my favorite last quarter gut runners. Elite in this area. Quality player who was encouraged by the club to take up an offer we simply couldn't match. He did it to set up himself and his father. A Richmond man through and through...

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
If you get a 300 game player at pick #15 you take that every day

The main issue with Ellis has always been his floating kicks that get too much air , If he had a laser kick he would be a weapon
Agree. He doesn’t have any tricks to give himself time and space either and isn’t an elite kick or decision maker even outside the floating ones. Just very solid overhead, runs and runs and runs. Does all the little things right and typically plays within his limitations. Would be in every teams best 22 and also not in any top 5 b and f.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Agree. He doesn’t have any tricks to give himself time and space either and isn’t an elite kick or decision maker even outside the floating ones. Just very solid overhead, runs and runs and runs. Does all the little things right and typically plays within his limitations. Would be in every teams best 22 and also not in any top 5 b and f.
He was outstanding at times early in his career. Made the AA squad and was 2nd in our B&F in 2014

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Pick 15 averages 82 games for a career. Brandon Ellis is on 231.
Camporeale holds the record for the pick with 252 games.
Very likely next year he passes him to have the most games played for a Pick 15.

It's not really a great pick for stars that one - Camporeale, Andrew Jarman, Hudghton, Rawlings, Chaplin, Dunn, Varcoe, R Tarrant, Z Jones, L McCabe, Wiggins, Daniel Rioli and Ellis the standouts.

Out of them 13, he might be top 7-8? Camporeale, A Jarman, Daniel Rioli, Varcoe, Tarrant probably all ahead of him, then 50/50 line calls the rest I reckon :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Very likely next year he passes him to have the most games played for a Pick 15.

It's not really a great pick for stars that one - Camporeale, Andrew Jarman, Hudghton, Rawlings, Chaplin, Dunn, Varcoe, R Tarrant, Z Jones, L McCabe, Wiggins, Daniel Rioli and Ellis the standouts.

Out of them 13, he might be top 8-9? Camporeale, A Jarman, Daniel Rioli, Varcoe, Tarrant, Z Jones probably all ahead of him, then 50/50 line calls the rest I reckon :unsure:
Z, Jones ??

I would take Brando over Jones

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

Out of them 13, he might be top 7-8? Camporeale, A Jarman, Daniel Rioli, Varcoe, Tarrant probably all ahead of him, then 50/50 line calls the rest I reckon :unsure:
Not sure how long the draft has been going but he is definitely top 20% for that pick. Good way to put it into perspective. Not too many Boltons hanging around that pick.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
We would have had a much better year with Brando playing for us.

Which, now that I've said it, is interesting.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Not sure how long the draft has been going but he is definitely top 20% for that pick. Good way to put it into perspective. Not too many Boltons hanging around that pick.
The first drafts were 1981-1982, jumped to 1986 and every year since.

Also, his draft there were two picks before the draft - a Mini-Draft - O'Meara to Gold Coast and Brad Crouch to Adelaide. So he's really pick 17.

Then add in the fact GWS had 11 picks before us, if the Giants had just the one pick instead of 11 picks we would have had pick 7 which went Buntine, Wingard, Haynes, Longer, Tomlinson, Sumner, Toby Green, Adams, Devon Smith, B Ellis.

So who knows out of them if it was not a compromised draft, who we would have drafted? Toby :unsure:

And the two drafts before the 2011 draft were even worse, 10-15 players both years were pretty much taken off the player list you could draft from. And then also giving both new teams the top picks in the first round, everyone else's first pick was diluted from $1,000 bottles of Moet to a bottle of vinegar!!

And that's why no one was going past the Hawks for a few years until their players aged and their era was over. Because the Giants and Suns took a few players away from teams who may have just needed that Cameron or a Prestia just a bit earlier than they got them ;)

Reactions: 5 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
The first drafts were 1981-1982, jumped to 1986 and every year since.

Also, his draft there were two picks before the draft - a Mini-Draft - O'Meara to Gold Coast and Brad Crouch to Adelaide. So he's really pick 17.

Then add in the fact GWS had 11 picks before us, if the Giants had just the one pick instead of 11 picks we would have had pick 7 which went Buntine, Wingard, Haynes, Longer, Tomlinson, Sumner, Toby Green, Adams, Devon Smith, B Ellis.

So who knows out of them if it was not a compromised draft, who we would have drafted? Toby :unsure:

And the two drafts before the 2011 draft were even worse, 10-15 players both years were pretty much taken off the player list you could draft from. And then also giving both new teams the top picks in the first round, everyone else's first pick was diluted from $1,000 bottles of Moet to a bottle of vinegar!!

And that's why no one was going past the Hawks for a few years until their players aged and their era was over. Because the Giants and Suns took a few players away from teams who may have just needed that Cameron or a Prestia just a bit earlier than they got them ;)
Loving your work on here Rice a Riso.

Lots of fact checking/study/stats etc…good stuff, keep it going mate.

Me…I just make sh!t up, it’s easier.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Loving your work on here Rice a Riso.

Lots of fact checking/study/stats etc…good stuff, keep it going mate.

Me…I just make sh!t up, it’s easier.
Thanks mate. Grew up loving to read.

Until the online era I'd polish off daily The Sun, The Age, The Australian, then the Weekend Editions, Sporting Globes, all sports mags lol.

We had a milk bar until I was 18, so it was easy to fall into that trap!!

And yep, school work waited until after all them and of course my results suffered. The old man wasn't happy aye :bash

When we started driving we'd be down at the Herald Sun building that used to be on Flinders Street and The Age building up Lonsdale Street and then when they relocated as well picking up the papers at midnight or after clubbing on the way home. Wouldn't get too bed until I'd read at least all the sports pages :))

Any of you guys do the midnight paper pick up run? Miss doing that to be honest. We'd play pinnies across the road from Billboards then onto the club or go and pick up the papers :love:

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Any of you guys do the midnight paper pick up run? Miss doing that to be honest. We'd play pinnies across the road from Billboards then onto the club or go and pick up the papers :love:
Nah, I was too busy trying to pick up sheilas :))

• Haha